AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am in the process of cutting my cable bill I have cox cable and the bill is crazy !! It seems like every 6 months my bill goes up. I would like to get rid of my Cox Cable DVR and just keep my Netflix, However I was told to direct connect my cable to the back of the Tv and amazing my old 1080P Vizio picked up 70 channels ...AMAZING some of the channels were in HD. I have there internet @ 50Megs download speed . I would like to know is there a DVR system out there that I can use to record channels with out having to use the Cox DVR. Will Tivo work I dont know much about the system

thanks for the help !!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Hello I am in the process of cutting my cable bill I have cox cable and the bill is crazy !! It seems like every 6 months my bill goes up. I would like to get rid of my Cox Cable DVR and just keep my Netflix, However I was told to direct connect my cable to the back of the Tv and amazing my old 1080P Vizio picked up 70 channels ...AMAZING some of the channels were in HD. I have there internet @ 50Megs download speed . I would like to know is there a DVR system out there that I can use to record channels with out having to use the Cox DVR. Will Tivo work I dont know much about the system

thanks for the help !!
Tivo will probably work but the subscription fee defeats the purpose. You can buy a PC tuner and use Windows Media Center to record in HD. If DVD-quality SD is good enough the Funai recorders might be worth a look - outstanding support here at AVS:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-dvd-recorders-standard-def/940657-magnavox-557-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575-a.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/106-d...-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575-a.html

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
since my posts I have been educating myself and I like the Tivo Roamio thats a sweet device. It calls for a cable card and I just contacted cox and the card is 1.99 a month. Tivo subscription is 15.00 a month. So I can pay 85 a month for TV service with cox or 17 a month for Tivo and cox cable card ....now it`s time to find a Tivo Roamio DVR

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
since my posts I have been educating myself and I like the Tivo Roamio thats a sweet device. It calls for a cable card and I just contacted cox and the card is 1.99 a month. Tivo subscription is 15.00 a month. So I can pay 85 a month for TV service with cox or 17 a month for Tivo and cox cable card ....now it`s time to find a Tivo Roamio DVR

:confused::confused::confused: You still have to pay for the cable service. The $85 isn't just the equipment rental... ;)

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Wouldn't it be sweet if ditching the cable bill was that easy? I'd have to sell my Time Warner stock though...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Windows 7 has a built in DVR and it is FREE!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
How's the guide on that?
Sorry, it's been years since I last used it and I don't remember much about it. IIRC I ended up using it with WMC, which at the time was ZAP2IT. The Vista laptop I was using it on had buggy NVIDIA drivers that often crashed it when it tried to wake up to record...

·
Registered
15,200 Posts
Sorry, it's been years since I last used it and I don't remember much about it. IIRC I ended up using it with WMC, which at the time was ZAP2IT. The Vista laptop I was using it on had buggy NVIDIA drivers that often crashed it when it tried to wake up to record...
No worries. Just curious. I'm still rolling with my Ceton and WMC, just not sure for how much longer.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I must be a total idiot - I paid $35 for a Pinnacle USB tuner to record OTA TV...
You still need the tuner.

How's the guide on that?
I used Pinnacle PCI tuners in the late 90's early 2000's, before XP MCE, I believe Pinnacle TV DVR pulled the guide from the TV stream.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

·
Registered
15,200 Posts
I used Pinnacle PCI tuners in the late 90's early 2000's, before XP MCE, I believe Pinnacle TV DVR pulled the guide from the TV stream.
So I guess it was either doing TVGOS which was awesome but is now defunct, or PSIP which is a day or two max. That's about all I get from my iView.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
How is Windows a free DVR if you have to buy a tuner?
The software the allows you to schedule and record is free, as well as the guide feed.

Tuner is just a piece of hardware, just like the hard drive, RAM, and motherboard for the PC to run Windows 7.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
The software the allows you to schedule and record is free, as well as the guide feed.

Tuner is just a piece of hardware, just like the hard drive, RAM, and motherboard for the PC to run Windows 7.
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that hardware costs don't count. In that case you're absolutely right - Windows is a completely free DVR...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that hardware costs don't count. In that case you're absolutely right - Windows is a completely free DVR...
Are you really that dense?

I'll type slow, so that you can understand.

T h e D V R s o f t w a r e i n W i n d o w s 7 i s F R E E, t h e r e a r e n o r e c u r r i n g c h a r g e s t o g e t f u l l f u n c t i o n a l i t y.

i.e. if you have a windows 7 pc, you already have the DVR software.

Kind of like when you buy a car, you get the steering wheel for free.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Are you really that dense?

I'll type slow, so that you can understand.

T h e D V R s o f t w a r e i n W i n d o w s 7 i s F R E E, t h e r e a r e n o r e c u r r i n g c h a r g e s t o g e t f u l l f u n c t i o n a l i t y.

i.e. if you have a windows 7 pc, you already have the DVR software.

Kind of like when you buy a car, you get the steering wheel for free.
Not to mention the engine...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been a while since I post just got my Tivo Roamio and my cable card should be here this week. I `m stoked for the total cost of my monthly bill I went from paying 177 a month to about 100 ,,,,saving me 77 a month .......80 bucks coming from my internet I even thought about dropping my speed to 15 megs as opposed to my 50 meg speed I have now this will knock about 25 bucks off my 100 dollar monthly bill.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts