AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for an answer to this but I don't seem to be finding much. I am sure the answer is in this forum but I am not searching for the right key words.

I just bought a Pioneer 6020 plasma and I have a Pioneer VSX-82TSX elite receiver along with a Magnavox blu ray and Direc tv HR20 reciever. I want to relocate everything with the exception of course of the plasma to a closet. I have a RF remote coming for the HR20 but how do I control the 82TSX and the blu ray?

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
You can use an RF universal remote with an RF to IR converter blaster in the closet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that sounds like what I am looking for. Who are some manufacturers of these converters or what would I search for?

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
You could also use a wired IR repeater, since presumably you're running wires anyway.

Yes, I will have at least one HDMI coming to the tv. The wired IR repeater sounds a lot less expensive than buying a converter and a new RF remote. My wife will appreciate that

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdrew /forum/post/15506228

You could also use a wired IR repeater, since presumably you're running wires anyway.

I would just get an RF basestation. I hate looking at ir receivers on the front of TV's. In my experience i find that they fail more often then a basestation

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincondor /forum/post/15507315

I would just get an RF basestation. I hate looking at ir receivers on the front of TV's. In my experience i find that they fail more often then a basestation

Just my .02

With Plasma, you don't put them on the front anyway. Mine is secured behind the TV. Hot link Pro....

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Please excuse my n00bness...but i have been looking for a wire IR solution for my Directv Receiver...I have not, as of yet been able to get the RF programming on the remote to accept the change.

It will be in the basement. HDMI to upstairs bedroom LCD...simultaneous feed to Projector in basement.

All the IR repeaters I have seen plug in to something....can someone give me a quick rundown on this? Maybe a linky? I see the lens portion , which I assume accepts the signal, but the opposite end looks like a 3.5mm jack...I know of no such input on my Dtv Receiver...

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
There are a couple of styles....

The Xantech receivers similar to what you describe plug into a connecting block. The connecting block allows connection of the VDC power supply and IR emitters.

Then there's an all-in-one solution like the Hot link Pro. The Ir receiver plugs into a box (really just another style connecting block) and the IR emitters are connected via a ribbon cable.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I have 4 sets of wired IR repeaters and have installed a couple more for people. They work flawlessly and have never even hiccuped (except when someone pulls the IR blaster off and that's an issue for any repeater).

xantech and niles make good ones.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Please excuse my n00bness...but i have been looking for a wire IR solution for my Directv Receiver...I have not, as of yet been able to get the RF programming on the remote to accept the change.

It will be in the basement. HDMI to upstairs bedroom LCD...simultaneous feed to Projector in basement.

All the IR repeaters I have seen plug in to something....can someone give me a quick rundown on this? Maybe a linky? I see the lens portion , which I assume accepts the signal, but the opposite end looks like a 3.5mm jack...I know of no such input on my Dtv Receiver...

I also have a DirecTV receiver, the HR20. If that is the only component you have the need to run remotely, DirecTV has an RF remote for $25. It is supposed to work from anywhere in the house. I just bought one off Ebay but I haven't got it to try it out yet.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
The existing remote is supposed to be programmable for RF...I have tried a few times. To no avail.

The other receiver is a DVR...both remotes are the same, and I was hoping not to have an issue...but since I can't get the RF angle working...it really does not matter.

·
Registered
374 Posts
From the manual:
NOTE: Not all DIRECTV Receivers are RF-capable. Also, some RF-capable DIRECTV Receivers include integrated RF antennas and do not require an external antenna. If your receiver requires the external RF antenna, before

activating the RF transmitter, locate the RF antenna included with your remote control and insert it into the RF remote antenna coaxial connector on the back of your DIRECTV Receiver.

If the remote is RF-capable there will be an FCC sticker on the back of it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. /forum/post/15510833

The existing remote is supposed to be programmable for RF...I have tried a few times. To no avail.

The other receiver is a DVR...both remotes are the same, and I was hoping not to have an issue...but since I can't get the RF angle working...it really does not matter.

What model number is your receiver, DVR and RF capable remote? If your boxes do have RF support and you do have the RF remote from DirecTV, I would contact DirecTV and have them send you replacement boxes or remote if the RF is not working. If you have RF capability, it will be much easier than running wires for a wired IR solution.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I will check model No.'s when I get home..The remote does switch over to RF (I am assuming)... through code input...However it no longer controls the receiver, so maybe the above post is correct, that this receiver will not accept RF input. I have to go through a series of codes again to restore IR control. I HAVE been successful in programming the DVR to accept RF, and have been toying with utilizing this one for the "double duty" receiver....have not tested distance.

To the OP: Sorry for the Hijack.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee /forum/post/15507847

With Plasma, you don't put them on the front anyway. Mine is secured behind the TV. Hot link Pro....

They do make plasma friendly receivers. Either way if one you have receives signals from behind the TV all the better. I would still go with an RF remote for reliability and less troubleshooting if an issue ever arises

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am also using Hot Link Pro for my living room where the equipment is inside the cabinets.

Plasma Friendly receivers were expensive. I chose HotLink Pro after my expensive Plasma Friendly receiver died.

I do like RF Solutions but I found them to be expensive. For example URC remote with base station was nearly $600 where as the HotLink Pro cost less than $100.

Let me know if there are affordable RF remotes out there that can control the AV equipment.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts