AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup is HDMI outputs to a switch to my projector and optical out for audio through a processor. I have been using the audio out to play music while running through the video choices or setting up a blu-ray disc then switching to the video source audio when ready to view.

If I get a new generatiuon high end receiver can the audio output be played separately from the video if the HDMI is now in the receiver?

VB1

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
If I understand you, you want to be able to select a video source, and a different audio source? I know my Yamaha won't allow that. Can't say about other brands.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Most receivers will allow you to select an audio+video source (DVD, TV, etc.) and then select an audio-only source (like a CD or tape input) and continue to display the video from the first source while playing the audio from the second audio-only source. My Onkyo will do that, and so will my old pre-HDMI Yamaha. I believe it's a very common function, although it's not usually listed as a feature; it's simply the result of the video circuits still being connected to the previous source as the second input you selected doesn't have a video source.

So, you could do what you want, but you'd have to select the BluRay input first to get the video on the screen before you select the audio source. You'd probably want to try to test this capability in a store before buying a specific receiver, however, if it's a deal maker-or-breaker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts