Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wednesday's Consumer Electronics Daily reports:

"Manufacturers shipped 147,573 integrated and DTV-ready sets to dealers in Sept., up 84% from total in Sept. 2000, CEA said."

"For year’s first 9 months, shipments of digital set-top receivers totaled 95,842"

Remember, these are sales to dealers, not directly to consumers

Press release is here .

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The trends in DTV monitor and set sales are very positive. Here are reported sales-to-dealer numbers recently:

May 84,000

June 90,973

July 117,851

August 137,854

Sept. 147,573

It is more difficult to see the trends in CE receivers, since we are sometimes provided with numbers for sets with built-in receivers plus STBs and other times it is just STBs.

·
Registered
824 Posts
An article in Twice contained NPD Intelect's estimates of STB sales.

"Meanwhile, sales of set-top DTV decoder boxes have currently sold 39,500 units year to date, versus 19,200 in all of 2000. "

The CEA had reported that 36,724 decoder boxes were sold in 2000.

Altho NPD's figures may be more accurate, I ignore them as they are not regularly available. I think what matters is the rate of growth and the percent of display sales. Altho partially hidden by the way the CEA reports the figures, it appears to be falling. Since the start of the year STB sales appear to either have been flat or fallen. I came up with an estimate of 6% of display sales for the latest quarter.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I'm pretty sure NPD only tracks certain channels. For example, I'm sure they don't know how many Sony 10HTs have been sold, since many are sold thru Internet or business channels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.