AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a bunch of posts about adjusting the Seq Select function and the effect it has on color banding. When you're in the SM and adjust this setting from it's default of 0x5 the reduction in color banding is incredible! I have the Aviator DVD in on my Sammy HD950 and Leo's gray suit goes from being a red and green sunburst to actually being gray.

Problem....when you exit the SM the setting doesn't appear to 'stick.' Freezing a frame, I see the drastic improvement made to the scene in question. Turning the set back on in standard mode I can see the color banding issues reappear.

This is extremely frustrating. I know the fix, I make the fix....but it won't stay!!! I've seen this mentioned before but never saw a 'fix.' Anyone else?

Is this a defective set?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I noticed it again today. Fix works perfectly within the SM but doesn't 'stick.'

I've called support and I'm probably going to end up getting a service call. Problem is, I can't exactly tell the technician, "When I go into the Service Menu..."

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
It might help if you indicated which HLR you have. They are not all the same.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits
It might help if you indicated which HLR you have. They are not all the same.
HLR5667W...

From scouring posts it looks like folks have recognized that this setting affects the kind of issues I mentioned above. Those have had various sets dating back to the HLN series. However, not sure if anyone else has incurred the same type of issue with the settings resetting themselves once you exit the SM.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am having this exact same issue with my HL-R4667W. I usually notice this in Attack of the Clones, but last night I watched The Aviator and after adjusting Seq Select, noticed the same positive results as MJ.

Changing the default Seq Select value from 0x5 has a tremendous effect on picture quality for the better, but I also can't get the setting to "stick". The value itself remains, but the picture reverts to the previously poor quality. I did find that if I exit the service menu by pressing the Power button, then quickly pressing Power again (before the lamp turns off), the setting will "stick" for the rest of the viewing session. But after I completely power down the set, the "banding" reappears upon the next power up.

I'll take some photos of the issue and post them soon.

Update: I should note that I tested this with a 480p component DVD player, two 720p HDMI DVD players, and a PC connected to the VGA port, all with the same results from the same DVD.

-MikeyP

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CheapBrew...I ended up having my set serviced. Turns out the digital board was bad and that was causing my issue. Replaced under warranty and now the pic is absolutely incredible.

Something to check out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ah ha, that's great to know. I'm going to call the warranty service tomorrow.

FWIW, I'll still take some pictures and post them here just in case.

-MikeyP

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ended up having my set replaced. They initially tried to replace the digitial board, but the picture looked the same, and the Seq Select value still wouldnt stick. The service menu showed that the replacement board had the same date as my original board: May 2005. My replacement set has an excellent picture without any need to edit the Seq Select setting. The service menu date on my new set is July 2005.

Thanks for convincing me that the problem could have been a hardware issue, as opposed to just a service menu setting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.