Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoiler Alert!

While I enjoyed the movie, it was mixed bag of sorts. There really wasn't anything knew added to the story, just more cat and mouse games surrounding River. If there was one aspect where the movie failed IMO, it was developing these characters more. Mal wasn't as funny, Jayne was severly unused...and we never did learn anything new about Book. Sadly, not much of Inara to be seen either.

It just feels like the movie tried to be too serious, rather than funny and touching like the tv series.

I know there isn't a lot you can do in 2 hours, and I think for the most part the movie succeeded on many levels, but coming from a tv series fan standpoint, I was a little dissapointed that I was cringing more than I was laughing.

Your likes and dislikes?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Well, I would have to disagree about nothing new being added to the story. We learned a lot more about River (what happened to her and why), so that shed a lot of light on her character.

I agree about Book, though, and that's something Whedon has said he regrets not being able to shed some light on. He has said that Book's past would be explored if the series ever got another chance. I'm guessing it was too much to fit into the time frame of a single movie, without feeling disjointed or rushed.

Also, from my perspective, they did a good job of developing the characters. I saw the movie blind (didn't see any of the TV series until after I saw the movie), and felt I knew them quite well. The only character that wasn't completely there was Inara...I understood that her and Mal had a past, and that it was Mal who pretty much drove her away...but never learned the details of that in the movie. But, I don't feel I really needed to. I understood the dynamic even if I didn't know the details. After watching the series on DVD, I now have a *better* understanding of the details, but my initial impressions were correct. So, to me, that tells me they did a good job of developing that relationship in the movie.

I really felt this movie was the closest in spirit to the original Star Wars. It had the light-hearted sense of humor, characters you could care about, and sense of adventure. The world Whedon created seemed real, just like the world of the original Star Wars. It never felt like a Hollywood creation.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85

I really felt this movie was the closest in spirit to the original Star Wars. It had the light-hearted sense of humor, characters you could care about, and sense of adventure. The world Whedon created seemed real, just like the world of the original Star Wars. It never felt like a Hollywood creation.
Yes. I think people forget how new and different the original Star Wars was, when it first came out. And I agree that Serenity/Firefly is one of the most entertaining, original, and quality stories to come out since Star Wars.

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
I find myself agreeing with the good doctor that one of the strongest aspects of the series was the humor found in these well developed characters, the witty dialog that came out of their mouths and the situational levity that emerged because we knew them so well (even after only 15 eps!). And the movie was just so dark, so intense....

It's like Whedon was faced with a quandary when he got the movie greenlighted (be careful what you wish for....): keep it light and more in the spirit of the series, or make it more of an "action flick" with a more serious tone designed to appeal to those who were unfamiliar with the characters. There wasn't enough time to do both. In the end, with hindsight, we can conclude that since basically only the hardcore fans bought tickets, he made the wrong choice. But it probably seemed like the right approach at the time (and the studio likely pushed for the more generic action-flick-thing thinking that would appeal to a broader audience).

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy
I find myself agreeing with the good doctor that one of the strongest aspects of the series was the humor found in these well developed characters, the witty dialog that came out of their mouths and the situational levity that emerged because we knew them so well (even after only 15 eps!). And the movie was just so dark, so intense....

It's like Whedon was faced with a quandary when he got the movie greenlighted (be careful what you wish for....): keep it light and more in the spirit of the series, or make it more of an "action flick" with a more serious tone designed to appeal to those who were unfamiliar with the characters. There wasn't enough time to do both. In the end, with hindsight, we can conclude that since basically only the hardcore fans bought tickets, he made the wrong choice. But it probably seemed like the right approach at the time (and the studio likely pushed for the more generic action-flick-thing thinking that would appeal to a broader audience).
I don't fault Whedon with what he did with the movie. The movie was pretty much what I expected. Features and TV series are two totally different animals. And in Firefly's case, I think it lends itself as a 24 episode TV series better than a 2 hour feature film.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I like it.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
WASH!? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......

bastards.

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar
Features and TV series are two totally different animals. And in Firefly's case, I think it lends itself as a 24 episode TV series better than a 2 hour feature film.
I agree completely. Oh, how I wish they would have taken that $35 million and given us at least one more year of 1 hour episodes. :(

My bet is given a decent, steady time slot and some solid promotion, the audience would steadily have grown and the show would have turned into a mainstay of the FOX schedule for years to come. It was just too good for an audience not to discover it eventually.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy

Watch the Deleted Scenes with Commentary; this is exactly the choice Joss had to make. Much of the cut scenes are the kind of quiet character moments that would fit right in if this were the TV show, but didn't fit into the action-movie he was making.

I'm not convinced that it was the wrong choice, either. Going with the TV style certainly wouldn't have sold any more tickets. And this way at least Joss got to show that he was capable of making proper movies, not just extended television episodes. Besides, the part(s) that really made fans upset had nothing to do with the style, and everything to do with certain plot "points" ;) of the sort for which Joss is already (in)famous...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All I know is that the movie, while very good, left this FireFly fan with a bittersweet taste in his mouth. It would be an absolute shame for this world to just end after this movie. And yes, Wash's death was totally unnecessary and the one moment in the film where I though Joss made a big mistake.

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawn
All I know is that the movie, while very good, left this FireFly fan with a bittersweet taste in his mouth. It would be an absolute shame for this world to just end after this movie. And yes, Wash's death was totally unnecessary and the one moment in the film where I though Joss made a big mistake.
Agree again on all points. It's like he offed Wash just, well, just because he could and such a death would emphasize the seriousness of it all. Bah.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
what i dont get is where in the hell is the theme song? i just got into the series last year but i really dig the theme to the show. it wasnt in the movie at all. that was probably just the biggest bummer to me. except Wash. bastards.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg
what i dont get is where in the hell is the theme song? i just got into the series last year but i really dig the theme to the show. it wasnt in the movie at all. that was probably just the biggest bummer to me. except Wash. bastards.
There's an instumental version at the very end of the credits, if that helps. Anyway, I can't blame Joss for jumping at the chance to get new music made in the same vein... (and in any case, both the Firefly and Serenity themes were an acquired taste for me. Something about them that my non-music-major self can't put a finger on...)

·
Registered
345 Posts
On a different note: Did anyone notice issues with the DVD presentation? On my screen, the whole thing seemed way too dark. Not just in terms of lighting, which I know is darker/sparser than in the series; I'm talking about actual loss of detail. In one of the final scenes, I couldn't even make out all of the Operative's face in a close-up!? Also I thought that the center channel was too high in the sound mix (ironically, the exact opposite of the situation in the first theatrical showing I went to). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheesi
I'm not convinced that it was the wrong choice, either. Going with the TV style certainly wouldn't have sold any more tickets. And this way at least Joss got to show that he was capable of making proper movies, not just extended television episodes. Besides, the part(s) that really made fans upset had nothing to do with the style, and everything to do with certain plot "points" ;) of the sort for which Joss is already (in)famous...
You hit it on the head, I think. Its the way Joss does things.

To compare it to SW, while valid in some aspects, does imply its the same kind of film, which is an action film with sci-fi trappings that leaves you with the warm fuzzies.:)

Joss doesn't do "feel good" films. Even on tv, he always eventually goes for the jugular. And when he does, its usually shocking.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko85
Well, I would have to disagree about nothing new being added to the story. We learned a lot more about River (what happened to her and why), so that shed a lot of light on her character.

I agree about Book, though, and that's something Whedon has said he regrets not being able to shed some light on. He has said that Book's past would be explored if the series ever got another chance. I'm guessing it was too much to fit into the time frame of a single movie, without feeling disjointed or rushed.

Also, from my perspective, they did a good job of developing the characters. I saw the movie blind (didn't see any of the TV series until after I saw the movie), and felt I knew them quite well. The only character that wasn't completely there was Inara...I understood that her and Mal had a past, and that it was Mal who pretty much drove her away...but never learned the details of that in the movie. But, I don't feel I really needed to. I understood the dynamic even if I didn't know the details. After watching the series on DVD, I now have a *better* understanding of the details, but my initial impressions were correct. So, to me, that tells me they did a good job of developing that relationship in the movie.

Great post...captured my thoughts as well. I did see most of the series though.

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
It was pretty obvious to me that Book's character was developed with the cryptic dialog with Mal about the Alliance strategy and assassin's belief structure. He was talking from experience, there had been hints before. He was an Alliance hitman in a earlier life. What confirmed it was the transformation of the assassin during the endgame. You could see him taking on Book's attributes.

Wash's death, as discussed, was a trick, unnecessary, but had impact.

What was the 3rd gravestone with the tilted rocketship/cone on it. Was it supposed to be Serenity?

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I disagree with those who contend the death of Wash was merely a trick, or was a betrayal to fans, or was pointless. The Reavers were a deadly enemy, and the stakes in the battle depicted were high. Having that shocking death occur in the midst of that turmoil raised the level of tension for the remainder of the battle. I actually felt fear that some of these other characters I'd come to care about were going to also meet bitter deaths during that struggle. It made that segment of the movie far more intense.

Besides, in reality, when people are fighting to the death...some people die. There were no comparable characters on Serenity to those red-shirted crewmembers from the Enterprise. Anyone who got hurt or killed would be someone we cared about.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Temple
It was pretty obvious to me that Book's character was developed with the cryptic dialog with Mal about the Alliance strategy and assassin's belief structure. He was talking from experience, there had been hints before. He was an Alliance hitman in a earlier life. What confirmed it was the transformation of the assassin during the endgame. You could see him taking on Book's attributes.

Wash's death, as discussed, was a trick, unnecessary, but had impact.

What was the 3rd gravestone with the tilted rocketship/cone on it. Was it supposed to be Serenity?
I agree with the comments regarding Book, and the Operative, that's pretty much the same take I had on that.

I believe the three gravestones, were for Wash, Book, and Mr. Universe.

I wasn't happy with Wash's death, but it sure made an impact. When I saw the movie in the theater, and it was getting near the end, I had no idea who (if anyone) was going to survive that last battle. I feel the death of Wash, helped set up that feeling.

I liked the movie a lot, but there were a couple of character interactions that I didn't care for. Near the beginning Mal and Simon are arguing taking River on the job. Mal makes it clear, Simon is a passenger as apposed to part of the crew. During the series it was established Simon was part of the crew, when Mal went back to pick in up in one of the episodes. I felt they took a step backward in their realationship for the movie.

I felt the same regarding Jaynes comments about keeping River on board and aksing if there was a reward for turning her in. That issue was dealt with in the series, and where it ended, it wouldn't seem that Jayne would be too vocal on that topic, specifically the issue of trying to hand River over.

But since the movie was also for people who did not see the series, I can understand why those scenes/set ups, were included.

·
Registered
28,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer21
I believe the three gravestones, were for Wash, Book, and Mr. Universe.
That's correct.

1 - 20 of 158 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.