AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at building a system based on the nForce2 chipset. One thing I want is to use a 2 drive RAID, but all the boards seem to have the RAID controller tied to the Serial ATA headers. My question is- can I use a regular EIDE hard drive in the ports meant for the Serial ATA?

Thanks!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s an idea... I wanted to use EIDE so I could utilize quiet Seagate Barracuda V drives, but I found out the 'cuda V drive comes in a SATA version, so I think Ill just get that instead.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I've heard that the SATA Barracudas are louder than the older IV IDE models

·
Registered
923 Posts
Ya IV drives are quieter. I also heard that the idle noise is about the same but accessing data the new V drives make more noise, but still concidered a quiet drive. I bought the V SATA 120GB w2mg onboard. But they have a 120G w/8mg now also.

The newest boards out Grante-Bay boards, are the first to take advantage of SATA drive data thoughtput. So hooking a SATA drive to an older board dosen't really help much. And some Grante-Bay's have on-board RAID 0 that dosen't route through the PCI bus. See PCMag.com or extremetech.com for recent article on these new boards.

Eddie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.