AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quite a few receivers and processors can be serially controlled, though some better than others. What price range are you looking at? My CQC system supports the Denon 4802 receiver and the Lexicon MC-1 processor. Some of the Yamahas are controllable. A customer is currently working on a Sunfire Theater Grand driver for CQC.

All too many devices have horribly pathetic protocols. Sometimes they are only one way, i.e. write only which isn't a lot better than IR. Sometimes you cannot get important information until the user changes something on the front panel, which means in effect you can't get it, or you just can't get it at all. Sometimes the protocol is so badly designed or implemented you can't really create a robust controller for it. Some have a woefully slow baud rate and lots of values that all require separate messages to get, so that you could never really poll them all.

Anyway, it can be avery mixed lot. Some expensive boxes might have bad protocols, and some less expensive ones might have good ones. The Lexicon MC-1 protocol is a very good one, but even it for instance provides no way to know if it is in sleep mode or awake mode when you connect to it, so you just have to turn it on when the control software starts, which can be very annoying to users.

Another problem can just be finding the protocol information. Some companies are very good and have comprehensive protocol documentation on their web sites. Some of the bigger companies seem to not provide that kind of info, and e-mailing them is like spitting into the ocean. You can sometimes find the docs if you ask around, since someone managed to get to the right person and got them.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Matt,

Do a search on B&K Ref50 here at AVS.

The feature set is the same with the AVR 505 - 507

The B&K software suite that is included, can be controlled via serial or network, Even wireless network.

Get a touch tablet pc or write some simple pda code and you have the ultimate wireless remote.

Jerry

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dean, the price range I am talking about is under $1000

Jerry, is the B&K able to talk both ways serial? I dont want to run into the problems that Dean was talking about... and what is the difference between the B&K and the AVR 505-507?

- Matt

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Matt,

The B&K software is two-way.

If your target price is $1k, you will be hard pressed to find the new B&K AVR's anywhere near that price. You may need to look at a few of the last models that also interface with the same software.

You can even d-load the software and test drive it with any of the supported B&K products in a virtual mode (emulation mode) No need to have a B&K product.

You can find further info here:

This software controls most of the current and Old B&K products.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by idleup
the price range I am talking about is under $1000
It is my understanding that the Sony ES line (I have the DA5ES) can be controlled via its serial port; I installed a Xantech IR transmitter getup, and one thing they sell was an adapter to go from their "hub" to the Sony receivers - to use instead of the stick-on blinkly LED.

Since I already had the LED blinky, and the add-on was another $60 or so, I figured I'd give the LED a try. It's worked fine for me, so I have not bothered with the serial control.

I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that Xantech had a PC interface device, so a PC could talk to the Xantech IR distribution device - meaning the PC could control any device, via the Xantech IR blinkys :)

Perhaps consider checking out the Home Integration and Distribution forum here on AVS, or even the forums on www.remotecentral.com

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
IR control is very sad if you want real control and automation. As soon as you start trying to do anything remotely fancy with macros, you soon find out that not being able to know the state of anything (i.e. no two way control) quickly becomes a joke.

Matt,

CQC has a generic serial driver, which allows you to describe the protocol in a text file and CQC will then drive the communications. So if you are interested, after you decide on a box and get it, consider doing a CQC protocol file for it, and using CQC for your control and automation needs.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Matt:

The Anthem AVM2 and AVM20 both have serial control and publish their control protocols on their website. The AVM-2 can be found for $1000 to $1400 used, but remember that its a pre/pro, not a receiver. Just something to think about.

Dean:

Have you had any experience with the Anthem products? I've not tried to work with their protocol, but I know of people who have successfully used Hyperterminal and Girder to control their units. It would be interesting to know whether the Anthem protocol is sufficiently robust to allow a CQC driver to be written.

- Ken

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see a lot of posts on the Denon 3803. I also saw on a review that it is serial controlled. Does anyone know if it will do 2 way control? I would really like to be able to get status, one way is a last resort.

- Matt

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Be careful about the Denons. The 5800, for instance, is completely useless on the control protocol front. You have to update it to the 5803 level. The 4802 is good, and I have a driver for it already. If you have the 5803 level, that same driver should in theory work for you too, but I've not seen anyone try it yet.

I'm not sure of the 3803 protocol. Anybody know where that protocol document is?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
Dean:

Have you had any experience with the Anthem products? I've not tried to work with their protocol, but I know of people who have successfully used Hyperterminal and Girder to control their units
No I haven't had any experience with them. Anybody know where the protocol docs are for these boxes? I checked their web site but the protocol docs weren't there as best I could tell. If no one already has them, I'll send them a message, though I've sent a lot of message asking for this kind of information that just disappeared into the universe.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I had a Denon 3803 and I had no trouble controlling it with serial commands. You have to make a cable because the 3803 does not have a DB9 on the back. It uses the exact same protocol as the 4802 (per the product manager at Denon) so Dean's software should work well. I tested it with the protocol sheet for the 4802 and all functions worked well. I would still have the unit but it did not suit my taste sonically as either a receiver or a pre-processor.

Therefore, I'm currently in the same boat as you. If you like the sound of the Denon, it can be purchased for under $1000 and should fit the bill as far as serial control. If you don't, good luck finding comparable features for the same price!

Jeff

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
If someone tries out the 3803 with the CQC driver, please let me know the results so that I can update the docs to indicate that it supports that one also.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
The Anthem AVM2 and AVM20 both have serial control and publish their control protocols on their website. The AVM-2 can be found for $1000 to $1400 used, but remember that its a pre/pro, not a receiver. Just something to think about.
I'm failing to find the serial protocol docs on the Anthem web site. Can someone point me to them?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Ok, I finally figured out where the document was. It's not the best protocol in the world, but it's reasonable. It would be fairly easy to get the day to day aspects of the AVM20 under CQC control for day to day use. A dedicated driver could handle a lot of the configuration tasks, but getting just the day to day control aspects of it under control would be well within the capabilities of CQC's generic driver.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I'm also looking for the protocol docs for the 45TX, and not having much luck. Anybody know where they might be or have a copy?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Roddey
I'm also looking for the protocol docs for the 45TX, and not having much luck. Anybody know where they might be or have a copy?
I've been looking for the protocol docs too and have had 0 luck with Pioneer's US web site. I haven't looked on the European site yet.

boxman

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I sent a message to their web site. But, if it's like most such large companies, I might as well have mailed it to random e-mail address, because it will probably disappear forever into the ether. But, we'll see what happens.

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Well, I could call their 1-800-daidiot number and see if I can confuse them more. These people in their Operations Department are pretty much clueless on Pioneer product even though they are suppose to be the technical side of support.

Dean, I'll get on the CQC forum tomorrow and have a look-see. Cheers!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.