AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a PC with sound card hooked up to my multi-room amplifier and running Squeezecenter and Softsqueeze. I know squeezecenter can stream music over the network but what I would like to do is have controls (touch screens, remote controls, etc....) around the house play music off of this PC. Does anyone know if you can control softsqueeze remotely using RS-232 or TCP/IP? I assume I need a player like softsqueeze on this PC to get sound out. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Yes you can control it that way. I'm doing it via CQC, but someone else wrote that driver.

·
Registered
217 Posts
A good bit of info is on Slimdevices wiki .

Or search through the forums for CLI.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the wiki page and CLI stuff but it wasn't clear to me whether you can control the Softsqueeze player either directly using RS-232 or TCP/IP or control it sending commands through SqueezeCenter. If anyone knows of a thread describing such an implementation or API, I'd appreciate it. I have not been able to find it in my search so far.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There are a number of interfaces/plugins to SqueezeCenter. You have already looked at Softsqueeze but a lighter version of that is Squeezeslave .

You also might want to check out SqueezePlay .

I'm a little unclear on your setup. Are you planning to distribute the audio via a whole house amp (Russound or NuVo)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am looking to distribute it around the whole house via Nuvo and wanted to see if any of the players that squeezecenter supported could take RS-2332 or TCP/IP commands so I could control it from Nuvo keypads with their adapter or using something like a Philips Pronto.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well I think IVB is your go to source.
IVB

For more threads on the CLI:

Search the Slimdevices forums with the following terms 'playlistcontrol cli'.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Look over at remotecentral dot com There are two solutions for controlling squeezebox products for pronto (prontosqueeze and slimpronto). Seems like people who have used both prefer prontosqueeze. Look at pronto forum and there is a decent amount of information.

FYI I just purchased a squeezebox to feed my Nuvo and will be using prontosqueeze. I am waiting for duet to be delivered but have already bought prontosqueeze and it looks nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePauper /forum/post/15551642

I am looking to distribute it around the whole house via Nuvo and wanted to see if any of the players that squeezecenter supported could take RS-2332 or TCP/IP commands so I could control it from Nuvo keypads with their adapter or using something like a Philips Pronto.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It definately works over IP, I'm controlling it via a Crestron system using a simple Module, Happy to provide the SIMPL+ source and you may find what you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts