AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in the Samsung series 8. I see that the series 8 Plasma is so much cheaper than the series 8 LED LCD. Is the series 8 LCD really better? I was under the impression plasma has a superior picture when compared to LCD.

I plan on connecting my computer to whatever I end up buying along with my DVR and Blu-ray player. I'm ready that LCD has better computer support, but the manual for the series 8 plasma claims you can connect a computer to the HDMI ports. Has anyone tried that. How does it look?

·
Vendor
32,431 Posts
Plasma is flat out better. Most top end computer graphics cards come with HDMI out, this is the best way to go HDMI in any display when using the HDMI connection. Going from DVI to HDMI can lead to headaches sometimes.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I have a clue!

Don't depend on AVS to make up your mind. This is a great source for basic information. If you are interested in specific brand/model go to the OWNERS forums you will get the best info there. There is a great deal of bias here.

Read reviews...with a grain of salt...because they are only opinions.

Get facts about both techs...decide what you like and don't like.

If you can go a store and look and play with both (yes even under the worst viewing conditions IE a store because some a*s here is going to say "you can't really judge a display in a store) no ****...but you at least get a feel for it.

Aside from everything else YOU are your own best critic.....

I prefer plasma too....but there really are some awesome LCDs out there! NO DOUBT.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I think if you plan to view a lot of static desktop and/or web browsing type stuff from your PC, plasma may not be the way to go and especially not Samsung.

Samsung hasn't overcome image retention problems with their plasmas to the extent that other manufacturers have.

Also consider factors relating to your room, lighting, windows, etc. Most LCDs have a substantial advantage over plasma in reducing glare, though, again, Samsung may be off your list if this is a concern since they've been using glossy screens in their high-end LCDs.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My general rule is the following;

If you will be doing a lot of gaming with static images for extensive periods, ie 5hrs+ per day or you will be your set as a computer monitor. LCD is the clear cut winner, even though plasmas have great anti-burn-in software and technology, it's just annoying to worry about it.

If you will be watching film, tv, hd/sd and regular gaming/computer tasks, ie 5-10hrs per week, where burn-in or IR should not be an issue or something that you constantly worry about. An equivalent plasma is usually better.

--

point 2:

LCD/LED equivalent of a plasma usually is much brighter, some people like it, videophiles usually don't. Brighter usually equals a less lifelike picture. You may like this.

Another issue I have with LCD/LED technology are poor viewing angles. My set is higher then my line of sight and I usually have people sitting all of my living room watching. Colors and blacks change drastically depending on where you sit. For this alone, even if I find an LCD/LED that I love, I wouldn't be able to buy for my living room.

A few other reasons to go one way or the other are the following points,

1: plasmas usually use a bit more energy. Although not much as long as you're not in torch/vivid mode.

2: plasmas are usually cheaper then their counterparts.

3: LCD's usually are better for rooms with a lot of lights. Although I find Samsungs plasma anti glare coating great for our room when we don't close the blinds.

This is my experience. I am no calibrator or videophile... But I sell about 200 TV's per month and this is what I feel as a consumer too.

My personal purchase for our main room was the B650, because it's almost as good as the 8 series plasmas, without being as thin but saving me about 15-20% compared to the B860.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.