AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tubeguy44, if you read the first paragraph in Bill's post on the other thread, everything is quite clear.

Bill said, "My full disclosure- I don't make surge suppressors, I'm not an engineer, I'm not an electrician, I don't sell anything or distribute anything. My only role in this whole debate is somebody who is fed up with the tactics or marketing series mode surge suppression."

:cool:

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by coolcat
Tubeguy44, if you read the first paragraph in Bill's post on the other thread, everything is quite clear.

Bill said, "My full disclosure- I don't make surge suppressors, I'm not an engineer, I'm not an electrician, I don't sell anything or distribute anything. My only role in this whole debate is somebody who is fed up with the tactics or marketing series mode surge suppression."

the question was.."Anybody in the know about the Series Mode units? Are they current limiting at all?"

the answer is... no, they do not limit current in anyway.....

the original poster did not ask for a philosophical debate on surge protection.... just a simple question....

and furthur.... bill doesn't give himself a whole lot of credibility by denying any involvement or electronic experience in surge suppressors..... why would anyone value his opinion after that disclaimer??.....

just a thought after wasting way too much time reading his referenced thread...... (alot of bickering on both sides, but not a whole lot of real content)....IMHO.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys,..

Thanks for the help. I didn't want to get anybody stirred up. I have been doing a lot of checking into the whole surge protection issue lately, and it is hard to find a clean line through all the info, and opinions.

Thanks again,...>>>--->

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tubeguy44,

You're right.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Tubeguy- when did you develop such an in depth technical knowledge to challenge my credibility?

On 10/30/2003 your comment concerning the aformentioned surgex thread was "i don't have the electrical background to follow alot of the info presented...."

To this day nobody has addressed my concerns, but I'm still listening.

I would love to be challenged on the technical merits of the thread rather than some pointless personal attack.

If you wish to choose to ignore the major flaws in current series-mode technologies... be my guest.

Start a new thread if you want to discuss this further. I'm not trying to hijack this one, but I thought the poster would appreciate all the information.

·
Registered
842 Posts
It would seem that using a full isolation transformer first would solve

any problems relating to series mode surge protectors not clamping

to ground.

Then again full isolation transformers with significant inductive mass

would kill 99% of the surge before it would ever get to the following

surge protector.

I thought of this for a while and came up with this.

In the usa ground and neutral are the same at the fuse box.

Unless you have something really nasty inside your house you are

not likely to generate surges on your own. So a series mode

surge suppressor would work anyway even if it never hooked

up to ground.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.