AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if it was my local station but everytime there is a switch to those "red filtered scenes" which were also pretty fast camera changes broke up really bad tonight. Some of the other ones are as well.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts
Flawless in Detroit.

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Fine in the Boston area tonite.

·
Premium Member
1,303 Posts
Good in Denver.

·
Registered
690 Posts
LA checking in...perfect here. Must be a local issue.

or Are you using splitters?? Even with the Monster cable super duper HD 4 way, I still got breakups. Added an RS amp in front of the antenna line and all (well most) of my dropouts disappeared!!!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
What do you mean by "break-ups", was it pixelation due to MPEG compression, or were you actually losing the signal temporarily (audio too)? If the former, it could be that some stations are more susceptible if they're broadcasting additional subchannels rather than giving the entire 19mbs to the HD feed.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I think he's talking about pixelation/graininess. I thought it was highly noticeable on tonight's episode especially in the red and skyflying scenes.

No breakups though in NYC area for me.

·
Registered
197 Posts
TWC in NYC was pretty much perfect. Maybe a hicup or 2 but nothing that was glaring.

(btw, first time i've viewed CSI in hdtv......WOW!!!)

paul

·
Registered
972 Posts
It was totally out at my house in Central Florida due to heavy rain; CBS is my weakest station. Count your blessings, I had to miss the whole show.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Jim,

I, too, am in Indy and I saw the horrible graininess/pixelation that would go into a breakup and then into a total video freeze frame. I'm not sure what was going on but it was very annoying. I almost switched to the analog feed. It usually happened only during the special "red scenes." I've never noticed anything like that on CSI before.

Steve

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I am refering to pixelization. Out local CBS station does do 2 extra multicast channels for weather and radar.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have posted this issue with CSI before, but have gotten little to no response and I don't know if it related to the problem of this thread, but....with my Samsung TIR-150 STB, whenver there is a very rapid scene change (as is prominent on CSI), I get a temporary loss of signal and the STB "reboots" causing a 1-2 second loss of signal. Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I saw the same breakup on WISH 8-1 in Indy as well. Have solid 100% signal strength and a Hughes E-86 that hasn't given me problems before, so I just attributed it to a broadcast issue.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
kenny1, what version firmware are you using in the Samsung SIR-T150 that causes your reboots? I think this is a bug in v2.0, if so download v1.8 to fix it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also commented about this on an Indianapolis thread. The breakups were visible on both an RCA 38" TV, and I even have a tape (from an HM30000) that shows the breakup (using a Samsung receiver.) (I started a recording for a subsequent show on CBS, because I wanted to watch ER.)I was watching the show on the RCA 38", yet also saw similar breakups during rapid/saturated scene changes on the tape. The break-ups weren't characteristic of the DVHS drop-out syndrome, and didn't really seem like RF dropouts (after one break-up on my RCA, I measured the signal strength as '88', which is about as high as I normally get, and on Ch9 HDTV, the reception is almost 100% solid.)

John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.