AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will post this in plasma too if ok.

Circuit city is starting liquidation tomorrow. So they only have certain brands and models.

I don't have a lot of time to research which is best and so forth, and will do some tonite, before tomorrow.

So thought I would pop in and ask you guys for help.

I need 2... prefer both to be widescreen version..not the square box

1 for watching mainly SD on directtv...not into HD now, but HD ready is acceptable, about 30/32" or bigger,

-for this one which is better ...plasma or LCD or DLP

-which brand/model LCD is the best..as in best PQ, dependability, no motion blur, best sound, best all around LCD, sharp, clear, color correct PQ being most important I guess( I am not a tv expert) Which of the circuit city ones would you recommend or non CC, as i may buy it later if it is better than the CC. would like the smart picture and also be able to play Full Screen, 16:9, etc on it

1 for gaming, i.e. my daughter and the Wii....large enough to play..on but not humongous.

--for this one which is better ...plasma or LCD or DLP

--basically the same as the first , the best all around for gaming, mainly with the wii, no motion blur, crisp good IQ, and what size would you recommend?

I will search more in these forums tonite, but wanted to put this out there in the meantime..

thanks all..t

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Folks on the plasma side said prob wanted to stay with LCD, so can anyone help on the LCD suggestions? and will getting an HD tv affect the IQ of SD viewing?..thanks..t

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
May I ask why you want a widescreen television if you aren't even going to be watching HD programming? Personally, there is no way that I would buy an LCD for SD unless I absolutely had to have a flat panel. You could probably find a used late model 4:3 Sony CRT for around $100, and it would have better picture quality. FWIW, I have a Panasonic TC-32LX85, which is available at Circuit City. It's a pretty good LCD, but SD is not its strong suit. I would rather watch SD on the Sony CRT that it replaced, and black level is obviously far superior on the CRT.

If the second (gaming) TV will be used with widescreen content, then I would probably get a plasma. The TH-42PX80U is a little large, but it's not expensive. If 42" is too big or too expensive, then get a 32" LCD.

BTW, you should hook up an antenna and watch free HD OTA.

·
Registered
15,999 Posts
At 32", LCD is the way to go. I have the Panny mentioned above and love it (the Panny, or the Samsung 450, are the best 720p 32" LCDs on the market, IMO). I would stick with the same 2 brands for 32" 1080p or 37" LCDs. But beware, SD broadcasts will not look great on any HDTV! All you have to do to get HD broadcasts is connect an antenna (if you receive OTA reception where you live).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree on both post regarding SD on HDTV. You will never get as close to a CRT TV. Plasma's however displays SD channels better that LCD. But the smallest that i know of you can get is a 42" Panny and the samsung 450 series, which are a pretty good brands. The Sammy 450 is also 3D ready with the 3D kit but only with games or movies that are made for 3D.

As far as LCDs these are what models I've tried. From best to worse. I know they're larger size but their smaller counter part should be the same. Only exception is the Sammy 750 which is the smaller you can get.

Samsung LN40a750

Samsung LN40a650

Samsung LN40a650

Samsung LN40a630

Samsung LN40a550

Sony Bravia KDL40w4100

Toshiba Regza 37RV530U

·
Registered
15,999 Posts
There us a 32" Vizio plasma, but reviews of the 32" LCDs are better.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
There is also a 32" Insignia plasma that is very similar to the Vizio. I believe they've both been discontinued. But they can still be found, and they are cheap (~$400). Unfortunately, they are poor quality plasmas. They look pretty bad in the store, and they're said to be prone to image retention.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/15574265

May I ask why you want a widescreen television if you aren't even going to be watching HD programming? Personally, there is no way that I would buy an LCD for SD unless I absolutely had to have a flat panel. You could probably find a used late model 4:3 Sony CRT for around $100, and it would have better picture quality. FWIW, I have a Panasonic TC-32LX85, which is available at Circuit City. It's a pretty good LCD, but SD is not its strong suit. I would rather watch SD on the Sony CRT that it replaced, and black level is obviously far superior on the CRT.

If the second (gaming) TV will be used with widescreen content, then I would probably get a plasma. The TH-42PX80U is a little large, but it's not expensive. If 42" is too big or too expensive, then get a 32" LCD.

BTW, you should hook up an antenna and watch free HD OTA.

no, I don't mind you asking...I really need flat panel for space, but also in the future i will get my feet wet in HD....just not real soon. I have a couple CRT's but I need the 2 flat panels for space considerations and most of the movies i have are letterbox and 16:9 which show up better on my one older Philips flatscreen that I have than crt....My philips is one of the older HD ready and the sd is still not better than the crt like you said, so since i need a flatscreen with HD(future) just wondering what is the best one/way to go other than CRT for that.

on the gaming, one question...I read somewhere that if you left a game on pause with a plasma for a loooong time, i.e. 10 hours it would burn a spot in the plasma....is that true?

I see a lot of adds for the sony bravia's and so on...are they worth even looking at? I always thought philips was good..the one i got was the best picture of in the price class that i could afford then...thanks so much..t

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/15575745

At 32", LCD is the way to go. I have the Panny mentioned above and love it (the Panny, or the Samsung 450, are the best 720p 32" LCDs on the market, IMO). I would stick with the same 2 brands for 32" 1080p or 37" LCDs. But beware, SD broadcasts will not look great on any HDTV! All you have to do to get HD broadcasts is connect an antenna (if you receive OTA reception where you live).

Thanks...so sony is not so good?

I guess what I need to ask too, or clarify is I don't know anything about sd/hd tv's....if I get and hd tv, can you switch it from hd to sd and have a good picture sd...another words watch an sd movie in the sd mode and not the hd mode, or getting and hd tv are you locked into watching whatever you watch in the hd mode? if this is the case how bad is the sd in the hd mode?

I can get hd broadcasts, as I have directtv....but I have quite a library of sd movies from over the years on dvd and want to be able to watch them also. I burn some things I record to dvd and as I understand it, hd is a different animal when it comes to burning....burn machine, media, etc...thanks..t

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In another thread here one of the ones you folks mention had a comment about it.. ""Stay away from the Samsung 450 series - they suffer from the infamous "robot audio" issue."""

how bad is this and is it that big of an issue? what is it? thanks..t

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznmode /forum/post/15576027

I agree on both post regarding SD on HDTV. You will never get as close to a CRT TV. Plasma's however displays SD channels better that LCD. But the smallest that i know of you can get is a 42" Panny and the samsung 450 series, which are a pretty good brands. The Sammy 450 is also 3D ready with the 3D kit but only with games or movies that are made for 3D.

As far as LCDs these are what models I've tried. From best to worse. I know they're larger size but their smaller counter part should be the same. Only exception is the Sammy 750 which is the smaller you can get.

Samsung LN40a750

Samsung LN40a650

Samsung LN40a650

Samsung LN40a630

Samsung LN40a550

Sony Bravia KDL40w4100

Toshiba Regza 37RV530U

Thanks for you rating...I don't mind 42 or so inches...30/32 is just the smallest i want. You mentioned plasma plays sd better than LCD, does that include sd dvd's? thanks..t

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So for the bedroom, watching sd channels and dvds and later HD, is plasma better than lcd, giiven that neither matches crt for SD?

What for the Wii games? LDC or Plasma and will any brand do for that? thanks..t

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13 /forum/post/15576913

on the gaming, one question...I read somewhere that if you left a game on pause with a plasma for a loooong time, i.e. 10 hours it would burn a spot in the plasma....is that true?

It's possible; there is a small possibility of burn-in with plasma TVs. If contrast is set appropriately and the TV is not abused, then it really isn't a concern.

Quote:
I see a lot of adds for the sony bravia's and so on...are they worth even looking at? I always thought philips was good..the one i got was the best picture of in the price class that i could afford then...thanks so much..t

Sony makes good LCDs. But some of the models are underwhelming, especially considering the premium price. I would probably choose between Sony and Samsung if buying an LCD 40" or larger. If buying a smaller LCD, then I would probably choose between Panasonic and Samsung (Panasonic does not make LCDs larger than 37"). I personally trust the reliability of Sony and Panasonic TVs more than Samsung TVs, so that is a factor for me. For plasma, I would only buy a Panasonic (or a Pioneer, if I could afford it). And frankly, I personally wouldn't buy an LCD over ~40", because I feel that plasma offers a better picture at a very reasonable price.

Your DVDs will look fine on your HDTV if you connect the player with HDMI or component cables.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13 /forum/post/15576965

Thanks for you rating...I don't mind 42 or so inches...30/32 is just the smallest i want. You mentioned plasma plays sd better than LCD, does that include sd dvd's? thanks..t

When I had the Sammy 42" plasma 450 series, considering it was only 720p, the PQ with upconverted DVD was better that the 37" Regza which was 1080p. It was on par with the Sammy LN40a550 on the upconverted DVD but SD channels the 450 was slightly better and didnt suffer pixelation. I didnt have a standard DVD player so I was unable to test. What is your budget? Out of the LCD I've tested, the Sammy LN40a750 is the best PQ accross. It's impressive with upconverted DVD, xbox 360, Good with SD and the best in HD channels and blueray. Also has pretty good sound quality thanks to the built in woofer in the back. it's the most expensive however.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/15577365

It's possible; there is a small possibility of burn-in with plasma TVs. If contrast is set appropriately and the TV is not abused, then it really isn't a concern.

Sony makes good LCDs. But some of the models are underwhelming, especially considering the premium price. I would probably choose between Sony and Samsung if buying an LCD 40" or larger. If buying a smaller LCD, then I would probably choose between Panasonic and Samsung (Panasonic does not make LCDs larger than 37"). I personally trust the reliability of Sony and Panasonic TVs more than Samsung TVs, so that is a factor for me. For plasma, I would only buy a Panasonic (or a Pioneer, if I could afford it). And frankly, I personally wouldn't buy an LCD over ~40", because I feel that plasma offers a better picture at a very reasonable price.

Your DVDs will look fine on your HDTV if you connect the player with HDMI or component cables.

THanks so much Mech, that is very very helpful and I have taken note...that was the kind of info I was looking for..thank you...t

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznmode /forum/post/15577535

When I had the Sammy 42" plasma 450 series, considering it was only 720p, the PQ with upconverted DVD was better that the 37" Regza which was 1080p. It was on par with the Sammy LN40a550 on the upconverted DVD but SD channels the 450 was slightly better and didnt suffer pixelation. I didnt have a standard DVD player so I was unable to test. What is your budget? Out of the LCD I've tested, the Sammy LN40a750 is the best PQ accross. It's impressive with upconverted DVD, xbox 360, Good with SD and the best in HD channels and blueray. Also has pretty good sound quality thanks to the built in woofer in the back. it's the most expensive however.

budge may be flexible, but I need to get 2, one for me for watching and another for the Wii game for my daughter, a 19 inch crt just is not big enough for her...so I have to look around and see what the best one for games like wii and it's cost, to set a ceiling on it and then look for mine...mind you I am not going to get the best for her games, but just get an idea of where it would top out at and prob go in the middle....mine is more important

·
Registered
81 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13 /forum/post/15582677

budge may be flexible, but I need to get 2, one for me for watching and another for the Wii game for my daughter, a 19 inch crt just is not big enough for her...so I have to look around and see what the best one for games like wii and it's cost, to set a ceiling on it and then look for mine...mind you I am not going to get the best for her games, but just get an idea of where it would top out at and prob go in the middle....mine is more important

If it's just for games why not just get a cheaper 32" lcd like Vizio or Insignia. She won't be able to tell the difference. If you want slightly better quality then maybe an LG or Toshiba. Then invest the rest on your set.

·
Registered
15,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv13 /forum/post/15576931

Thanks...so sony is not so good?

Among the 32" 720p models, the Sony L series is not so good (poor contrast). The M series is good.

·
Registered
15,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznmode /forum/post/15590215

If it's just for games why not just get a cheaper 32" lcd like Vizio or Insignia. She won't be able to tell the difference. If you want slightly better quality then maybe an LG or Toshiba. Then invest the rest on your set.

I disagree. There is a noticeable difference among LCDs for contrast/black levels between entry level displays and better models.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts