AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm very new to all of this stuff - I have had a old, old Toshiba 36" CRT HD TV that lasted a long time, but now all the new technology got me to purchase a LCD TV. I have a HD DVR box from Comcast, and I need help connecting it to my Sony HDX576WF home theater system. This is what I did:

The TV has a "Composite 1" areas, with a red, green, and blue wire area. To use the TV's speakers, I just run the red, green, and blue "wire" from the TV to the HD cable box w/ Comcast and that makes the video appear. Then, to make the audio work, I take a red and white "wire" and run it from the cable DVR box to the actual TV's red/blue slots next to the composite. So it's like the composite 1 wire (the blue, red, green) and then next to that a red and white slot on the TV has a red and white "wire" that is sent to the red and white audio out slots on the cable DVR box.

Now, that's the NORMAL setup to make sound come through the TV's speakers. With the home theater system amplifier, there is a red, green, and blue composite area and then next to it a red, white, and yellow (red/white are TV Audio Out and yellow is Video) and then next to that there are a red/white slot that is for SAT/CABLE audio slot.

Now, how do I connect it all together? I tried the following setups:

1) Composite wire (red, green, blue) from the cable box to the amplifier and then the red, yellow, white (audio/video from TV Out) to the AV 1 on the TV. This makes the DVD work when I go to AV 1 and the DVD video/audio works fine. But the cable doesn't.

2) Composite wire from the cable DVR HD box to the composite 1 to the TV, then the audio out (white/red) from the cable box to the amp - and then the audio and video TV out from the amp to the TV's AV 1 - again this doesn't work.

The theater amp has a DVD built in player..but somehow I am unable to make it all work. Someone who can help me? 5 bucks to the first person who fixes it through PayPal

Thanks in advance,

Shikhir.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
So I gather that you have a TV, Sony HtiB, and a Comcast cable box, right?

1) To connect the Sony to your TV for 5.1 surround; use composite (red, blue, green) from the Sony to the TV for video – alternatively – buy an HDMI cable and connect it from the Sony to the TV for video. The audio will be output through the Sony speakers.

2) To connect the Comcast HD DVR to your TV for 5.1 surround; use composite (red, blue, green) from the Comcast box to the TV for video – alternatively – buy an HDMI cable and connect it from the Comcast box to the TV for video. Then, use an optical or coaxial cable from the Comcast box to the Sony for audio.

You’re set and good to go. If you need cables get them from monoprice.com.

·
Registered
897 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikhir A /forum/post/17003285

Hey guys,

I'm very new to all of this stuff - I have had a old, old Toshiba 36" CRT HD TV that lasted a long time, but now all the new technology got me to purchase a LCD TV. I have a HD DVR box from Comcast, and I need help connecting it to my Sony HDX576WF home theater system. This is what I did:

The TV has a "Composite 1" areas, with a red, green, and blue wire area. To use the TV's speakers, I just run the red, green, and blue "wire" from the TV to the HD cable box w/ Comcast and that makes the video appear. Then, to make the audio work, I take a red and white "wire" and run it from the cable DVR box to the actual TV's red/blue slots next to the composite. So it's like the composite 1 wire (the blue, red, green) and then next to that a red and white slot on the TV has a red and white "wire" that is sent to the red and white audio out slots on the cable DVR box.

Now, that's the NORMAL setup to make sound come through the TV's speakers. With the home theater system amplifier, there is a red, green, and blue composite area and then next to it a red, white, and yellow (red/white are TV Audio Out and yellow is Video) and then next to that there are a red/white slot that is for SAT/CABLE audio slot.

Now, how do I connect it all together? I tried the following setups:

1) Composite wire (red, green, blue) from the cable box to the amplifier and then the red, yellow, white (audio/video from TV Out) to the AV 1 on the TV. This makes the DVD work when I go to AV 1 and the DVD video/audio works fine. But the cable doesn't.

2) Composite wire from the cable DVR HD box to the composite 1 to the TV, then the audio out (white/red) from the cable box to the amp - and then the audio and video TV out from the amp to the TV's AV 1 - again this doesn't work.

The theater amp has a DVD built in player..but somehow I am unable to make it all work. Someone who can help me? 5 bucks to the first person who fixes it through PayPal

Thanks in advance,

Shikhir.

Red, blue, and green video is called component video and can provide HD 720p or 1080i resolutions. Yellow video is called composite and can only provide SD 480i resolution. The same is true for S-Video (1/4 in round connector), SD 480i.

1) For DVD from the Sony use HDMI or component connections to the TV. Using component you have to add red/white audio cables to the TV if you want sound from the TV. A HDMI connection provides audio to the TV. For DVD you normally want sound only from the TH (Sony).

Many sets have combined component, composite (may include S-Video) and audio into one input using whichever video connection is active.

2) For the set top box use component or HDMI connections to the TV and the coax or optical connection to the TH. You can use red/white audio to the HT but the 5.1 won't work as well. Using component you have to add red/white audio cables to the TV if you want sound from the TV.

·
Registered
29,109 Posts
Your guys (Icky and Shikhir) terminology is wrong. The Red, Green and Blue connections are called COMPONENT VIDEO, not composite. Composite is the single yellow cable for video and the red & white audio cables. Composite video does not have the high resolution video capability of component video.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

Sounds like you have two devices, your HD DVR and your Sony home theater system. You want to connect both to your new LCD TV, is this correct?

Most HD DVR's I've seen have an HDMI port. So does your Sony receiver/dvd combo unit.

The simple way to connect everything is to buy two HDMI cables and 1 optical cable.

Buy 2 of these HDMI cables from monoprice.com
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

buy 1 optical cable from monoprice.com
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

You will have spent a massive $8.82 on high quality cables plus shipping! Trust me, they are very good cables, I buy from them all the time.

Plug the HDMI cable into your HD DVR and the other end into HDMI input 1 your new LCD TV.

Plug the other HDMI cable into your Sony system and the other end into HDMI input 2 on your LCD TV.

Plug the optical cable from your HD DVR to the Sony system on the back where it is labeled TV Digital In. Remember to remove the clear plastic covers off the cable ends.

Put all those component and red & white cables in a box and store them.

When you want to watch your HD cable box, turn the TV to HDMI input 1 and your Sony system to the TV input for audio.

When you want to play movies from your DVD player, set the TV to HDMI 2 and the DVD input on your Sony receiver.

That's it, real simple. 3 cables, easy connections. Enjoy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.