AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always find it interesting how some movies misfire so badly. I'd never really heard of this Miama Vice remake thingie. Suddenly there's a whole shelf of them at the Blockbuster. I go in there pretty regularly and I don't think I've seen a single one of them checked out, ever.


Is this a movie that sucks beyond all comprehension? Even if it did, you'd think that not everyone knows that and that some number of people would rent it by accident or something, given that it has two very well known people on the cover. Or was it just lack of advertising and everyone seeing that no one else is renting it so they just walk by it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
The movie got a lot of publicity when out in theaters. You must been sleeping extra that week or something.


Personally, I think the movie would have done much better if not named Miami Vice. It has none of the look or feel of the TV series. Fans of the TV show were turned off by the content, and folks who might have been interest in that dark a movie didn't check it out because of the name.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm... OK, I guess it was just bad marketing then. But it was just notably the most unrented movie in the new movies section that I've seen in a while, where they buy like 30 or 40 copies and they just sit there like a dead fish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,639 Posts
The Avengers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
A little grittier, a little more violent than the TV show . Farrel and Foxx are certainly no Johnson and whatizname. Most of the plot was nonexistant. I still haven't figured out why they used an Asian actress to play the Cuban girl. No Latins available in Miami?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,931 Posts
The movie had a few good spots, but it was waaay too slow in spots. And it was VERY dark - I had to crank up the brightness on my TV. In general, I wish I had spent the two hours doing something else.


Regarding the Cuban character: That cracks me up. I was so confused about her being Asian, and then we see the pictures of her Cuban family. I spent half the movie staring at her and going "huh?".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,570 Posts
I never watched the show, ever- so I don't know how Don Johnson's character came across in the show. But Colin Farrel seemed to be playing him as a cross between George Clooney in Brother, Where Art Thou and Joe Dirt. It's not quite how I pictured it. Beyond that, same old same old plot wrapped in trademark exceptional Micheal Mann action sequences. Mildly worth seeing. Even Gong Li is pretty much wasted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredProgGH /forum/post/0


I never watched the show, ever- so I don't know how Don Johnson's character came across in the show. But Colin Farrel seemed to be playing him as a cross between George Clooney in Brother, Where Art Thou and Joe Dirt. It's not quite how I pictured it. Beyond that, same old same old plot wrapped in trademark exceptional Micheal Mann action sequences. Mildly worth seeing. Even Gong Li is pretty much wasted.

Is Gong Li the Cuban lead character that Crocket falls for? So she is Asian! (I assume so from the name.) What the hell?! Were we not supposed to notice? That's just weird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater /forum/post/0


Is Gong Li the Cuban lead character that Crocket falls for? So she is Asian! (I assume so from the name.) What the hell?! Were we not supposed to notice? That's just weird.


What's so weird about that? I was born here and never consider whatever Asian country I came from my home. It's like you saying, "Go back to where you came from". Ummm, I'd be thinking "Oakland?" The character she played was probably born there and considered herself Cuban like I consider myself a Californian; which to most folks is a foreign country anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan /forum/post/0


What's so weird about that? I was born here and never consider whatever Asian country I came from my home. It's like you saying, "Go back to where you came from". Ummm, I'd be thinking "Oakland?" The character she played was probably born there and considered herself Cuban like I consider myself a Californian; which to most folks is a foreign country anyways.

Whoa, buddy. That "go back to where you came from" nonsense just doesn't apply. Don't start putting words in my mouth.


My issue was that she had Cuban parents, Cuban siblings, Cuban cousins, etc., but she was clearly Asian. Maybe she was adopted. Was that your point? OK, I give.


But can we agree the movie was lame?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater /forum/post/0


Whoa, buddy. That "go back to where you came from" nonsense just doesn't apply. Don't start putting words in my mouth.


My issue was that she had Cuban parents, Cuban siblings, Cuban cousins, etc., but she was clearly Asian. Maybe she was adopted. Was that your point? OK, I give.


But can we agree the movie was lame?

Sorry about that; that was the first thing I thought of and for the most part doesn't apply here. All I meant was---so what if she was of Asian descent. She probably thought of herself as Cuban since she was raised there. What's so unlikely about that?


As for the movie; I thought it was okay. It actually felt like the last 2 season of the TV which took a darker turn when they tossed out the pastel look of the first 3 seasons.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan /forum/post/0


Sorry about that; that was the first thing I thought of and for the most part doesn't apply here. All I meant was---so what if she was of Asian descent. She probably thought of herself as Cuban since she was raised there. What's so unlikely about that?

Well, nothing now that you point it out but it's poor writing when you make a viewer jump through mental hoops to fill in a film's continuity holes
One line of dialog could have fixed it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhan /forum/post/0


Sorry about that; that was the first thing I thought of and for the most part doesn't apply here. All I meant was---so what if she was of Asian descent. She probably thought of herself as Cuban since she was raised there. What's so unlikely about that?


As for the movie; I thought it was okay. It actually felt like the last 2 season of the TV which took a darker turn when they tossed out the pastel look of the first 3 seasons.

Sure, if she's just an actor playing a role and I'm supposed to ignore her race, I'm ok with that. Suspending belief is part of watching movies. I suppose Crocket could have been black and Tubbs white. Heck, Steve Martin used to be a poor black child growing up, so anything is possible.
(Hopefully you saw The Jerk, and don't think I'm being racist. It was a mildly funny movie.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,606 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater /forum/post/0


Heck, Steve Martin used to be a poor black child growing up, so anything is possible.
(Hopefully you saw The Jerk, and don't think I'm being racist. It was a mildly funny movie.)

What are you talking about; that movie was hilarious.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNameGuy /forum/post/0


Personally, I think the movie would have done much better if not named Miami Vice. It has none of the look or feel of the TV series. Fans of the TV show were turned off by the content, and folks who might have been interest in that dark a movie didn't check it out because of the name.


Agreed.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredProgGH /forum/post/0


Well, nothing now that you point it out but it's poor writing when you make a viewer jump through mental hoops to fill in a film's continuity holes
One line of dialog could have fixed it...

Very lame of MM...he can do better than that.

I like his movies, but I think MV was just a money-grab on his part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31,226 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFunBoater /forum/post/0


My issue was that she had Cuban parents, Cuban siblings, Cuban cousins, etc., but she was clearly Asian. Maybe she was adopted.

Did you even see the movie? She has no Cuban siblings, Cuban cousins or Cuban parents. The only image we see of her mother is in an old black & white photo; and she's obviously Asian.


In the movie, Gong Li's character clearly mentions having gone through several Asian countries before ending up in Cuba. She wasn't cast in the role of a native Cuban, but instead a Asian immigrant (of which there are many in Cuba).


The local Chinese restaurant where I grew up in New York was owned by a Chinese family that came from Cuba. Their menu included everything from fried rice to picadillo. And they spoke fluent spanish, english and chinese to their customers.


Sanjay
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top