Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am hoping to draw on everyone's experience here to ensure a long and healthy life. I need to ceiling mount an EHome M8000 into a concrete ceiling. In addition, the standard M8000 ceiling mount will be attached to a 3 foot "extension pole mount". The base plate of the extension pole mount is approx. 1 foot square and has, I believe, 6 holes for mount screws/bolts. This base plate of this extension mount, of course, will then be the surface securing the total weight (~150 lbs +) to the concrete ceiling.

From my calculations this menacing example of potential energy will be positioned directly above the main viewing position. So, on top of not wanting to lose my investment, I don't wish to lose any friends either (or my own life for that matter :rolleyes: ).

I am hoping a number of you have some experience/suggestions as to how to anchor this configuration in the safest possible manner such as what type of bolts to use (sleeve anchor ?), etc. You know, you just don't get second chances with things like this, so I want to be sure.

Second, on a "lighter" note... (sorry I could help myself :D )...I received a "pull down" screen 16:9 (120" diag) for viewing from a friendly source for free. I realize this is, of course, less ideal because of the "non-fixed" nature of this solution. I would truly appreciate any suggestions as to how I could secure the screen surface so as to ensure stability and consistency of the viewing surface, preventing my projector calibrating efforts to be ruined whenever "the wind blows" so to speak.

I do realize this may or may not be the appropriate forum for the second (or perhaps even the first?) question so, if not, please forgive me. However, your insight and guidance would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks To All,

Jason

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Jason

How thick is the ceiling? You could always drill all the way through the ceiling and bolt througt it. Or just test the installation. Bolt the bracket in place and just load it with 3 or 4 times what the PJ weights. If you are still unsure after that just add a couple of bolts for your piece of mind.

Deron

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
About 95% of the time I here this question the installation is going in an apartment building or a condo. Prior to drilling four holes into your ceiling and someone elses floor you should contact the building supervisor and get written permission. Those ceiling/floor panels are pre-stressed and have reinforceing rods running through them that should not be cut. If this is the case you should consider a coffee table type floor mount.

Chip S.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Think of all the monkeys whose lives can be saved from closed head injury studies if there had been more CRT projection owners! Instead of strapping down poorly consented "volunteer" monkeys and hitting them on the head with a pneumatic projectile we just need a registry of CRT owners.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Guys

Just got back in- been out all day...

Doug - Thanks for the precise spec on that bolt. That was just what I was looking for...will do - grade 8 concrete anchors...cool & thanks for the pic...

Deron - The ceiling is in an industrial loft space and is several feet thick There's no way to get all the way through it and I would probably be coming through someone else's floor if I did explore that option. I also agree that 3 or 4 times the weight is a good safety zone. That will give me the safety and the peace of mind to actually watch what's on the screen instead of what's looming overhead...a few buddies hanging from the mount should do the trick...

Chip - Thanks for the reminder & I certainly agree. I can't tell you how many times I've heard of unpleasant situations being created because tenants plow ahead before checking with the building owners. I have, in fact, already got the OK from the landlord. This ceiling is quite thick. No danger of going through. But it was more than necessary to confirm the structure of the ceiling with the landlord for safety and legality. I'm kind of paranoid that way...I'm trying to keep the space open and so attempting to avoid floor mounting if possible...as long as it is safe, that is....

Guy...yep ain't that the truth...I'm hoping not to join that list with my set-up...most of my friends are already suffering from voluntarily induced head injuries anyway...guess I shouldn't be so concerned after all, huh?? :D BTW, I'm looking forward to tweaking out to your HOLY FOCUS bible as soon as this puppy is mounted. Thanks for creating such an neatly condensed and valuable resource for all of us beginners. It really takes the pain out of the research and keeps the focus on the focus (man my puns stink!!!...sorry)

Which brings me to my last question...anybody have any suggestions for securing a "pull-down" screen for a more permanent type installation to ensure after spending hours converging and focusing Ala Guy Kuo, that the image will remain focused for many months to come, the surface is even and flat and not so susceptible to moving around thus trashing many hours of hard work?

Thanks again for all the info & suggestions. This forum and more specifically all the members are an incredible and powerful resource us beginners...

Regards,

Jason

·
Banned
362 Posts
I suppose a pull-down screen isn't that secure. I would suggest looking into a fixed-wall da-lite with pearlscent material. They aren't at all costly. I believe the 45" x 80" are going for $600.

I used to have a pull-down screen. That was back when I had a digital projector. I was constantly annoyed with the wrinkles and the swaying back and forth from small air currents.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
If you can spray paint, or have a friend how can, KBK's screen paint will produce the best screen hands down, and for a total price of about $250.

The only screen that can compete with it is a Stewart.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys

Thanks for the input...

Doug - Yeah, the pull down moves around a lot and won't keep completely still...I would rather not buy a new screen as I have this one and would like to make it work if possible...it is in perfect shape...I just need to secure it good....

Kenny - Thanks for the tip. If I can't find a way to secure this screen I have, A home made one will probably be the best and most economical way to go..

I guess I can attempt to put clips on the wall behind the screen to secure it...hopefully that will flatten it out enough and keep it in place...

Has anyone else secured a pull-down screen adequately so that focus can be calibrated and maintained ? Any advice on techniques would be very much appreciated...

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.