AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my PB HLM437 for less than 24 hours and it already has some serious issues. I am having what can only be described as problems with reds and greens. Here are my observations so far.

1.) Severe green issue. My fiance was watching "Miracle on 34th St" ( a black and white movie) and there were green blotches everywhere. Also the greens appear to be oversaturated. I paused a section of the movie and went into the service menu and tried lowering the G Gain. I lowered it to the point where everything became red and the problem was still there.

2.) Green and red blotches on skin tones. I just finished watching an episode of 24 and there were green and red splotches on skin tones and in darker areas of the picture.

This is on top of the "sunburn" issue I was already experiencing.

I am using a Sony T-60 DirectTV w/ TiVo receiver connected via s-video.

I have tried the recommend SM tweaks as well as PhilB's Colorfacts settings. Before anyone says its the source let me stop you now. None of these problems exist when I plug my DirecTivo into my Toshiba TW40x81 using the same s-video cable.I must say that so far I am very unimpressed and seriously considering sending the set back.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I hope that an AVS Forum member or Samsung can resolve this issue as I plan to view a SAT-T60 via S-video on a 507 (in addition to HD200 on DVI and RP82 on Component1).

I don't believe anyone else has reported this issue so there's hope for single case fix.

·
Registered
64 Posts
GScott, do you see the same problem when you use component, VGA, or DVI inputs? If not, it could be a problem somewhere on the analog board. I assume you'd still see the problem if you used the RF or composite inputs. What happens with those?

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
You mean giving up or just trying again? Have you talked to Neil--this sounds like a DOA situation.

Quote:
Originally posted by GScott
I must say that so far I am very unimpressed and seriously considering sending the set back.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Check those component cables. Maybe the red cable is bad. Also try other sources, like s-video from a DVD player.

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Hi GScott...

Before you even consider sending it back...I would really ask you to also please try the other inputs like mentioned above. It would be good not see if the issue can be narrowed down for not much info was given in regards to setup.

BTW...S-Video cables can go bad just but moving them. Yes, it is true. It has happened to me three times. The wires inside where they are connected to the pins can get moved and touch for they are close together.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the help but the problem is still there. Here is what I've tried.

1.) Different cables. Same problem. As I said earlier I was using the same s-video cable when hooking it up to my Tosh 40x81 and I didn't have any problems. Just in case I tried 2 other s-video cables with no luck.

2.) Tried composite video. Same problem.

I haven't had a chance to try component or DVI yet. I'll try tonight. I reset everything back to the factory defaults and the problem is still there. A few other things I noticed last night.

1.) Blotches of green and red on a woman's blond hair during 24.

2.) Today I noticed blotches of green and red on backgrounds during Law and Order.

Everything listed is a show stopper. If I cannot resolve these issues then I will be going back to a CRT RPTV or getting a plasma.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I am having the same problem. People are sunburned red. Blondes look like they have been in the pool to long, their hair has green chlorine streaks. I am still under the impression that my gains and offsets are out of whack. The problem exists on the coax, S-video, Comp1, and Comp2. Comp2 is a progressive DVD signal. Comp1 is an Xbox. I have tried the original tweaks and the colorfacts results. I spent $300 buying all new s-video and component cables. I do a side by side with my existing Hitachi 27" and do not have the problem I replaced my 50" Panny letterbox CRT with the 507W and did not have a problem with it either. I downloaded a picture of my self into a ReplayTV unit and am using it in slideshow mode as a reference since I know what I am supposed to look like. Currently adjusting gains and offset's but no luck so far. I am using Warm2 as per PhilB. It would be nice to buy a Colorfacts unit which I am sure would solve the problem but should not be necessary to atleast match my 9 year old Panasonic. I just can't beleive I can't get a decent picture using the colorfacts results. PhilB did an amazing amout of work I hoped I could just plug and chug his results and be close. No such luck.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
A local Ultimate Electronics near me received a unit that looked as you described. Samsung came out and ended up taking it back as seriously defective. This may be a case where no amount of tweaking can fix the problem....

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried DVI via my HD200 STB tonight with the same results. I'm hoping there is something wrong with this TV. After talking with TVA today I'm going to call Samsung and get a tech out to look at it.

The picture is unacceptable at this point. I have tried every combination of recommended settings with no success. Tonight watching a hockey game there were green and red splotches on the ice.

I'm noticing something else that can only be described as "macro blocking" or large MPEG type blocks. These blocks are what is changing colors. Anyone else notice this?

I've attached some pictures showing this problem in the following thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...30#post1599930

Gary

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's a picture showing the stray green blotches I am getting on black and white movies.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
When you hooked up the HD200, what did HDNet look like?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HDNet looks fine, not as good as my CRT projector but that's a story for another day :)

The problem is this set will be used primarily for D-TiVo viewing via s-video (the HD200 is for the projector). If I cannot get an acceptable s-video picture then I will have to return it and find another set.

Any ideas on what SM settings will fix this? The recommended SM tweaks didn't do anything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
GScott,

Have you read my other post? I think we have the same set! No amount of tweaking seems to help. I was optimistic until tonight when I implemented PhilB's CF and still have the same problems.

I posted a pic of the Matrix ~ 2 weeks ago. I know there is a green tint, but this was WAY GREEN!

Other times, my set looks OK - on HD material (CBS OTA) or most DVDs or right now on PC. But I can't seem to get a decent picture on regular 480i NTSC material.

I do not think I have a bad set - maybe one outside the bell curve distribution - but not a damaged set or bad cables or etc.

I think this set simply chokes on regular TV and that is not acceptable to me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think this thread started with the right intentions, but now it's getting out of hand. All the complaints about bad pq on sd source is silly. Everyone knows this tv will bring out the true nature of the source. It has been repeated many times, over and over again. GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) Most people, if I am not mistaken, are looking for a tv that will present the image as it was inputted, as most digital fix-pixel displays will do. Isn't this why we are all going DIGITAL. If anyone is looking for a tv that will display a bad source better, you will not get from this tv. For those that say "but the old crt tv does it fine", it is because that tv is hiding those issues and a lot more...you just don't know it. I remember seeing a crt rp for the first time, and I thought, why would anyone spend $3k for such crappy pq? Anyway, in a year or two, most of our viewing material will all be HD, so I don't intend on having to buy a new tv. This is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by TAKKL
I think this thread started with the right intentions, but now it's getting out of hand. All the complaints about bad pq on sd source is silly. Everyone knows this tv will bring out the true nature of the source. It has been repeated many times, over and over again. GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) Most people, if I am not mistaken, are looking for a tv that will present the image as it was inputted, as most digital fix-pixel displays will do. Isn't this why we are all going DIGITAL. If anyone is looking for a tv that will display a bad source better, you will not get from this tv. For those that say "but the old crt tv does it fine", it is because that tv is hiding those issues and a lot more...you just don't know it. I remember seeing a crt rp for the first time, and I thought, why would anyone spend $3k for such crappy pq? Anyway, in a year or two, most of our viewing material will all be HD, so I don't intend on having to buy a new tv. This is just my 2 cents.
Sorry but I think its unreasonable to expect someone to live with a crappy picture for another 2-3 years until HD becomes more wide spread. And it's not just regular DirecTV that looks bad on my set. I hooked up my HTPC tonight via DVI and still had the same blocky/blotchy picture. This is the same HTPC that is normally hooked up to my high end 8" CRT projector. On the projector the DVD picture is silky smooth and beautiful even on a 8' wide screen. Play the same DVD on the Samsung via the same HTPC using DVI and the picture is blotchy. This was using all the recommended tweaks and Phil's CF settings.

My set was manufactured in September and came with the 107 firmware. I can only hope that I have a bad set because I cannot imagine all the rave reviews would be based on the picture I am getting. Like I said earlier I am hoping it's a bad set and I'm having a tech come out to take a look at it and will push to have the set replaced. I must admit that I am not as hopeful as I was that a new set will solve my problems.

PS--My HTPC is using the latest version of Theatertek, a Radeon 9000, and setup for 720p. It should have looked awesome but it didn't.

·
Registered
131 Posts
GScott,

When I stated good intentions, I meant you. I don't disagree with your problem. I would highly recommend a second pair of eyes to look at your tweaks just to confirm, and wait for the Samsung tech to further inspect/diagnose before returning. My comments were towards those that have been complaining about poor sd pq, knowing all the previous discussions on this forum. Your situation is different. Sorry for not making that clear. Good luck, hope it's a simple fix, if fixable.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
GScott,

I have close to the same HTPC set up with a HLM437. My PQ via DVI is awesome with DVD.

I'm convinced either their is something awfully wrong in your SM settings that was set accidentially or you have a bad set.

Hang in there until the tech arrives.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.