AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a Sony XBR4 lcd tv last year and really do like the thing quite a bit. Sure, I'm not nuts about the blur, judder, poor standard def pic quality, ghosting, smearing, flashlighting, and lack of truly deep blacks, but hey, it looks pretty damn good nonetheless.

Well it got me thinking about my old (6 yr) 36" Sony Trinitron CRT. God damn that tv had a gorgeous picture- 480 and all. Awesome blacks, zero motion blur, ghosting, judder, flashlighting etc. Made me wonder what a 46-50" 1080P version would look like.

Probably unbelievable hey?

Then why not? Sure the thing would weigh 350 lbs, but some people buy 150pound amplifiers and 1000 lb aquariums, so why should a display be an exception merely because of its weight? I'm serious.

Are they just too expensive to produce and therefore not profitable for display manufacturers?

Surely thousands would be willing to pay the monetary premium for the sizeable upswing in picture quality? Have we just sacrificed picture quality (deep blacks, color saturation, motion-handling, image retention, etc) in the name of a 100 lb picture frame?

What am I missing here? I'm hardly a tech-head, so I'm sure there's other obvious disadvantages to such a notion? Is it really all just the flat panel's "sex appeal"? My 36" CRT, while not as svelte as my XBR LCD, hardly looked like a wood-grained dinosaur in my living room, so I'm sure some asthetic updating could have gone a long way with crt's.

Tell me it's all about the dollars and I'll believe you. If it's the tecnology, I'll have a harder time, cause I still have a vivid memory of how my $300 CRT out-performed my state-of-the-art $3000 lcd in MANY aspects.

thanks for the input,

James

·
Banned
205 Posts
How much would it cost to transport them to the stores? Or from an online dealer direct to the buyer?

Think of the pressure on the CRT glass at that size also; could one that size even be made?

And does anyone really want to go back to those monsters that gobble up your room? A friend of mine used to have a 40 inch (IIRC) Mitsubishi and that sucker was gigantic. At this point in time the market for that is history, for better or worse.

·
Banned
205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduff617 /forum/post/14245613

i think someone (hitachi, maybe?) made a 45" consumer crt tv. i think it was about 10-12 years ago.

That may be what I was thinking of. It stuck so far out into the room you could see every scan line.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
Are they just too expensive to produce and therefore not profitable for display manufacturers?

Pretty much. Production would be a nightmare, transporting them would be a nightmare, and they'd eat up huge amounts of retail shelf and storage space. Can you imagine trying to move a 300-pound TV set in your house?

They've all but stopped making non-crappy CRT computer monitors, and there was actually a profitable market for the high-end ones with graphics professionals. With an HDTV, consumers who want to buy whatever is "cool" and "futuristic" would stay away -- you're talking a niche product at best.

I'm also doubtful that at this point you could produce a picture that was dramatically better than, say, the latest-gen Pioneer Elite plasmas. Those already have no motion blur/ghosting/flashlighting, do judder-free 24p playback, and are close to a zero black level. And you'd probably be looking at pricing equal to or higher than a 1080p CRT front-projector setup, which could give you a much bigger screen size.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias99 /forum/post/14246831

Pretty much. Production would be a nightmare, transporting them would be a nightmare, and they'd eat up huge amounts of retail shelf and storage space. Can you imagine trying to move a 300-pound TV set in your house?

They've all but stopped making non-crappy CRT computer monitors, and there was actually a profitable market for the high-end ones with graphics professionals. With an HDTV, consumers who want to buy whatever is "cool" and "futuristic" would stay away -- you're talking a niche product at best.

I'm also doubtful that at this point you could produce a picture that was dramatically better than, say, the latest-gen Pioneer Elite plasmas. Those already have no motion blur/ghosting/flashlighting, do judder-free 24p playback, and are close to a zero black level. And you'd probably be looking at pricing equal to or higher than a 1080p CRT front-projector setup, which could give you a much bigger screen size.

Right. I was thinking the higher end plasmas probably do meet or beat them in pic quality at 1/3 of the mass and volume. Good point.

The other points I agree with as well (weight, sex appeal, etc), as mentioned in the op. I just thought that many videophiles may still opt for them, but the high-end plasmas pretty much disintegrate that argument though.

Fair enough, thanks all.

James

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
I just thought that many videophiles may still opt for them, but the high-end plasmas pretty much disintegrate that argument though.

I think that four or five years ago, there might have still been a market for bigger CRTs -- LCD and plasma picture quality was substantially worse and the sets were a lot more expensive. We're just getting to the point where high-end plasmas are either as good or nearly as good as a reference CRT HDTV in every area.

There's still a market for high-end CRT desktop PC monitors, but even that has been eroded heavily by high-end LCDs with LED backlighting. Those have incredible color accuracy/gamut, and don't have any geometry issues. The black level isn't quite as good as on a great CRT, but that's about it.

Probably all the major manufacturers saw the writing on the wall in terms of FP displays getting better by leaps and bounds, and decided not to keep investing money in bigger CRTs. The profit margins being so much higher probably didn't hurt either...

·
Registered
329 Posts
I still have/watch a Sony 34" XBR (a KV-34XBR910, not a 34XBR960 alas) CRT set that I bought back in 2003.

I would dearly love a 60" version with the astounding PQ my CRT has.

But given that my present set already weighs a couple of hundred pounds and required myself, my now-ex-fiancée and a friend to lift it onto its stand, I don't think that's in the offing

There is a point where the size & weight just became too unwieldy, and I think that unfortunately, the 40" 4:3 sets Sony used to make were pretty much at that limit.

Nowadays I am saving my pennies for a 60" Pioneer KURO 9G Elite PRO-141FD, which I hope (if I can ever afford it) will be a worthy successor to my KV-34XBR910.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Your Sony already weighs about 350 lbs, and is about 28" deep as I remember. They wouldn't get that terrific picture quality if they had to do the "slimfit" thing with lenses and mirrors, so a really large tube would probably be about 36-40" deep, and start to weigh in at 5-600 lbs! Who would set it in place for you, and what stand would you need to accommodate it? by the way, I agree with the statement, and we still have a Panasonic HD CRT with a terrific picture quality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts