AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a server from scratch. I don't have a lot of highend equipment so I dont need a high end server. Mostly it's going to have just divx movies on it.

I'll be using ide drives since they give you the most storage for the buck.

My main question is, I'd like for it to be able to serve up at maximum 3 files to 3 different pcs at a time. Just in case (trying to configure for "worst case scenario") I'm at one tv, the wife is at another, and the kids are at the computer, and we all wanna watch a different movie.

So will standard 100mb cat handle the load, or do I need gigabit?

And what cpu will I more than likely need to serve up the files.

Oh, and if its important, they movies will probably be encoded down to 750mg-1gb per flick.

Thanks for the advice guys.

(please remember that i'm looking at effective, but not overly expensive. I have to wait for that to happen after my business gets off the ground. worst case scenerio, I just wont be able to stream 3 at once if budget doesnt allow it)

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
You should be able to that without any problems.

100Mb has a maximum of 12.5MB/s and a DVD will use a maximum of aprox 1.4MB/s.

If you encode it to Divx it will be even less.

I can't see that it should a problem for even a quite modest computer since it will just serve files.

The only question would be how you intend to display the movies to the two TV's ?

Will you use two PC's, XBOX or something similar ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for now, i'll probably use 2 xbox's for since i already have them. only one would need to be modded, so cost for that is only another 50. in time might get a third one, or just use my pc that is my room, which has an ati aiw in it. i started thinking about the numbers last night more and figured out that the network speed should be fine, just wasnt sure about the cpu. so, hopefully all will be good. i'll make sure i get the fastest cpu i can afford at the time.

thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.