AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great post Lenny. I've written the same ones down (it's good to see I'm not the only loony). I'm particularly interested about #109. Could THIS be a clue to displaying progressive DVD??? I'm really wondering about this now. Too bad I don't have a progressive player now. Someone with this setup should try this and see if it enables the Zenith to properly display a progressive signal.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Here is what I have for service menu items on the Zenith IQB64W10W. I am wondering if some kind soul out there could help me to figure out what all of the items do, and I know at least some of these should be similar to items on other sets so we can help out lots of folks by working through all of these, I would think. I have listed what I have found or believe some of the items do, but could use any other thoughts, clarifications or corrections any of you may have on this.

Note that some items have a 21 or a 70 or a BS before them. 21 items seem to affect all inputs, as do those items without a designator before them. 70 definitely affects all analog inputs, including the NTSC tuner. It does not seem to affect the digital antenna input nor the RGBHV input. (I have no method to test the component inputs for this). BS items only affect the RGBHV input (HD-DBS on the screen) and possibly the ATSC tuner but I don't know if this will affect the component input at all.

When viewing some of these items on the screen, particularly the Drive and Cutoff values, you will see a W next to them, that is for the Warm setting and can be changed to M(edium) or C(ool) with the Mute button if you need to. I also believe that some of the items, while seemingly changeable, are really just indicators of a condition. Such as if you change it, it seems to not save your change but revert back to the previous value.

At any rate here are the codes:

0 ADJ_Mode - Set this to 3 (the highest level) to access all of the service menu items. You might need to quit the service menu and go back in after changing this for it to take effect.

1 V-Size - Vertical Deflection size

2 H-Size - Horizontal Deflection size

3-5 are 21 R, G & B-Drive. Service manual suggests these be set with an oscilloscope for grey reference. Using a Colorimeter can also be used to set these.

4-8 are 21 R, G & B-Cut off - Again the service manual suggests oscilloscope calibration of these for grey reference. Using a Colorimeter can also be used to set these.

9 21 S-Bright - all of the next sets of S-items are Subs of that function. This one is like changing your brightness from the normal menu and they adjust up or down just like normal. These can be used to adjust a level to match up with some of the pre-set video modes (say a proper brightness for you is 40, but you'd like to use the pre-set mode which uses 50, you'd just add 10 to the S-Bright value). I have been told that this set does have SVM (albeit a seemingly small amount of it) and that the pre-set video modes bypass it, so it may be useful to adjust your sub-settings to match up with one of the pre-set video modes.

10 21 S-Hue - Sub-Hue (see 9)

11 21 S-Col - Sub Color (see 9)

12 70 S-Cont - Sub Contrast (see 9) Zenith's service manual has this set with the assistance of an oscilloscope. This setting should only affect analog OTA and standard video.

13 ATT - Audio adjustment set by oscilloscope

14 VCO - Audio adjustment set by Frequency counter

15 FILTER - Audio adjustment set by oscilloscope

16 - SPECTRAL - Audio adjustment set by oscilloscope and a Sound Multiplex Modulator

17 WIDE Band - Audio adjustment set by oscilloscope and a Sound Multiplex Modulator

18 OSDHPOS - Horizontal position for the On-Screen Display

19 VCX0_Reset - I believe this has something to do with a crystal oscillator, but I don't know what

20 H_Position - Horizontal screen position

21 LEFT_BLK - Left Blanking. Blanking can be used to reduce internal light bouncing around the inside of your set to help improve your black level a bit. Raise this number until you see the black edge encroach upon your viewing area and then back it down until it is just off of the screen.

22 RIGHT_BLK - Right Blanking. (See 21, except that reducing the number moves it onto the screen and increasing will move it off)

23 CLP - Something to do with Clipping. (Higher numbers seem to make the screen darker and some numbers introduce "wves" into the picture.)

24 BS H_POSITION - Horizontal screen position for RGBHV input only.

25 BS LEFT_BLK D - Left Blanking for RGBHV input only.

26 BS RIGHT_BLK D - Right Blanking for RGBHV input only.

27 BS CLP - Clipping for RGBHV input only. Same affect as #23, except that at a value of 0 it flickers between solid fields of color.

28 V_ANGLE - Vertical Angle. Skew correction. Think of a rhombus, where if the top of the screen is moved left the bottom of the screen moves right. Sometimes called a parallellogram effect.

29 V_BOW - Vertical Bow. Effects side-to-side bowing out or in of the middle part of the picture. If middle right gets moved out, middle left gets moved in. Sometimes called Pin Balance.

30 PIN_Phase - Pincushion Phase. Moves top out and bottom in, or bottom out and top in, like a trapezoid. Also referred to as Keystone.

31 UP_PIN - Upper Pincusion. Moves the top lines out or in.

32 LO_PIN - Lower Pincusion. Moves the bottom lines out or in.

33 V_PARA2_AM - ? Lower numbers seems to introduce a yellowish tint.

34 V_Position - Vertical Screen Position.

35 V_S_CORR - Vertical S Correction. Compresses the middle of the screen while leaving the top and bottom lines alone.

36 V_LIN - Vertical Linearity. Compresses top and bottom of the screen while leaving the center alone. (Opposite of #35)

37 V_ASPECT - Vertical Aspect? Seems to be similar to #1, Vertical Size.

38 21 S-Con - Sub-Contrast (related to #12).

39 21 R-Y/R - Affects Red levels in Yellow/Red (Adjust with color bars using red only to get same brightness levels in red containing bars after setting blue using Color and Tint)

40 21 G-Y/R - Affects Green levels in Yellow/Red (Adjust with color bars using green only to get same brightness levels in green containing bars after setting blue using Color and Tint)

41 21 P-ABL-L Automatic Brightness Limiter level?

42 21 R-Y/B - Affects amount of Red in Yellow/Blue (Adjust with color bars using red only to get same brightness levels in red containing bars after setting blue using Color and Tint)

43 21 G-Y/B - Affects amount of Green in Yellow/Blue (Adjust with color bars using green only to get same brightness levels in green containing bars after setting blue using Color and Tint)

44 21 Gamma - Gamma correction (Avia has a test pattern you can use to set this)

45 21 System - Sharpness related? 0=Very Fuzzy w/ verticle lines doubled, 1=Fuzzy, but better than 0, 2=Looks fine, 3=Possibly enhances vertical black lines some? Otherwise appears fine.

46 21 ABL Mode - Automatic Brightness Limiter mode?

47 21 CTI-LEVEL - Appears to impact color overlap in color bar patterns. The higher the level the less overlap seems to occur.

48 21 S-Sharp - Sub-Sharpness? (see #9) May, instead, be an adjustment for variable Q, or bandwidth, for video peaking frequency. As such a higher number may reduce what frequencies the sharpness control effects thereby reducing it's overall effects on the picture.

49 21 SHP_F0 - Sub F0 Control for NT? Does seem to affect sharpness in some way. Lower numbers meaning less sharpness added to the signal. Although lower numbers also moves the screen slightly to the right, while higher numbers move it to the left.

50 21 Pre-Over - Sharpness Pre/Overshoot Gain? Higher numbers seem to limit the amout of "white line" added. So I keep mine at 3 (the highest level)

51 21 LTI-Level - Sharpness Y edge level enhancement? Probably not noticeable without some sharpness already in the picture, but the lower the number the less edge should be added to the picture. Lower numbers do appear to lessen the amount of white line added by sharpness, so I keep this at 0, it's lowest setting.

52 21 VM-Lev - Velocity Modulation Level?

53 21 VM-Del - Velocity Modulation Delay?

54 21 D-Pic - Dynamic Picture. Appears to affect black level, to an extent, and may be similar to DC Restoration in effect. Not sure if this one is better left on (1) or off (0), though, as it does appear to help black levels some to appear more black than grey.

55 21 D-Col - Dynamic Color. Affecting color changes with APL. I've turned this one off (0) but I am unsure of what effect it has had as of yet.

56 70 S-Col - Sub-Color for antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

57 70 Y-DL - Y Delay? For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

58 YPFT - ?

59 YPFG - ? Possibly related to sharpness?

60 YHCOR - Y Horizontal Correction?

61 AV YPFT - ? As 58 for AV? (Whatever AV is supposed to be.)

62 AV YPFG - ? As 59 for AV? (Whatever AV is supposed to be.)

63 AV YHCOR - ? As 60 for AV? (Whatever AV is supposed to be.)

64 AFC_RANGE - AFC Loop Gain Range?

65 FH_SW - Frequency, Horizontal Switch? or Range?

66 AFC_Mode - AFC Loop Gain Mode? Highest level (3) screws up the screen. Otherwise unsure of what this does.

67 AFC_COMP - AFC Loop Gain Compensation or Compression?

68 HBLK_SW - Something else to do with a Horizontal Blanking Switch?

69 HSG_SW - HSG Switch?

70 H_COMP - Horizontal Compression. Compresses the sides but leaves the middle alone.

71 FHADJ - Frequency, Horizontal Adjustment (Appears to do little more than move the picture to the right or left a small amount.)

72 UP_CPIN - Upper Corner Pincushion effects. Similar to #31, but may affect a smaller portion of the upper screen.

73 LO_CPIN - Lower Corner Pincushion effects. Similar to #32, but may affect a smaller portion of the lower screen.

74 VSAW0_DC - ?

75 VSAW1_DC - ?

76 VSAW0_AMP - ?

77 VSAW1_AMP - ?

78 V_PARA1_DC - ?

79 V_PARA1_AMP - ?

80 V_PARA2_DC - ?

81 V_PARA2_PHASE - ? Higher numbers give a greenish tint while lower numbers appear to make the picture fuzzier.

82 VSYNC_SW - Vertical Sync Switch?

83 INTER_Mode - ?

84 Zoom_SW - Zoom Switch. Appears to fold over the top and bottom of the screen. Possibly has some effect on the Zoom Ratio? (The Zenith has 3 ratio modes, 4:3, 16:9 stretch, and Zoom.)

85 ZCUT - Z Cut? May eliminate image jitter?

86 V_Comp - Vertical Compression. Compresses top and bottom of the screen while leaving the middle alone.

87 UP_VLIN - Upper Vertical Linearity. Compresses the top lines of the screen.

88 LO_VLIN - Lower Vertical Linearity. COmpresses the lower lines of the screen.

89 V_Free - Vertical Free. Toggle that seems to let go of the verticle hold.

90 JMP_SW - Jump Switch mode? Appears to compress the upper and lower portions of the screen about 50%.

91 V_Scroll - Vertical Scrolling? Seems to affect vertical positioning. Similar to #34. Will check to see if this is a form of Vertical Keystone as was mentioned to me it may be.

92 MAX_Line - Free Run Maximum lines? (Default value is 200) Perhaps affects how many lines scroll by in a given interval if #89 is set on? @ 140 and lower it starts to move the screen down and roll it over on top. (Among other things)

93 V_Front_BLK - Vertical Front Blanking. (adjust like #21 for bottom of screen)

94 BLK_SW - ?

95 V_Back_BLK - Vertical Back Blanking. (adjust like #21 for top of screen)

96 NONINTER - ? Free Run Scanning Mode (Integer or Non-Integer?) Can't see what, if anything, this does.

97 VTIM - Something to do with Vertical Timing? Default value is 30. Higher numbers appear to act like blanking at the top of the screen while lower numbers make a pair of red and green lines arc across the screen.

98 21 CR_OFFSet1 - ? Red offset for white balance. Seems to increase or decrease the intensity of the red gun.

99 21 CR_OFFSet2 - ? Red offset for white balance. Seems to increase or decrease the intensity of the red gun.

100 21 RGB2-L - ? Seems to affect the brightness of the OSD.

101 21 CB_OFF1 - ? Blue offset for white balance. Seems to increase or decrease the intensity of the red gun.

102 21 CB_OFF2 - ? Blue offset for white balance. Seems to increase or decrease the intensity of the red gun.

103 21 BLK-BOT - Some other kind of Blanking for the bottom of the screen? Can't see anything happening when I change this number, though. Perhaps for a different input than what I was looking at.

104 21 Input Sel - Allows selection of which input you are modifying variables for? Seems to be an indicator, though. While on HD-DBS screen 1&2 would mess up the screen, but 3 and 0 looked fine.

105 21 MAT Out - ? Seems to be an indicator?

106 21 Limit Level - ? Related to ABL?

107 21 CLP_MS - Something to do with clipping? Seems to have a somewhat similar affect.

108 21 ABL_TH - ?

109 21 Fix_Sync - ? Maybe something to do with if the screen displays "No Signal" if it gets a sync rate it does not recognize? Seems to be an indicator?

110 21 V-TC - Vertical Sync Separator T/C? Changing it messes up the screen.

111 21 H-Width - Horizontal Width? Changing it messes up the screen.

112 21 DC-Tran - DC Restoration. Affects black level (appears to affect how bright objects may lower overall brightness of the screen. I've set this to 0 from the default level of 1 to rectify that problem.)

113 21 CBLKOFF - Some kind of Blanking switch (C Blanking Off) or Offset? 0 is default, chanigng ot 1 puts thing Red, Green and Blue spaced down the screen.

114 21 AKB-T - ? AKB Timing Pulse? 1 is default, setting to 0 gives a green tinge to the screen and drops down or compresses the very top of the screen a little.

115 21 BLK-SW - Black Switch? Default=0, 1 gives makes things a bit whiter (perhaps injects more blue?).

116 21 YCbCrMat - ?

117 - 21 HYSW - HY Switch? Possibly an indicator.

118 - 21 AGING1 - ? Possibly changed by the set when it detects a certain amount of phosphor aging to assist in boosting light levels to compensate? Probably for White Aging on/off. setting to on (1) lightens the screen a considerable amount (like making the brightness and sub brightness as high as they will go.)

119 - 21 AGING2 - ? Similar to 118? May be for Black Aging on/off. Default=0, setting to 1 pretty much makes the screen go black.

120 21 YSYM1SW - Something to do with Velocity Modulation? YS/YM-1 Switch On/Off, I believe.

121 YM-VM - Something to do with Velocity Modulation?

122 21 CLPSW - Clipping Switch?

123 21 HSEP-SEL - Horizontal Separator Selection?

124 21 HD-DC - ?

125 21 HS-MASK - ? May be an Indicator.

126 70 Tint - Sub-tint for antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

127 70 TOF-f0 - ?Timing offset 0 Possibly Y/C Delay or sharpness related? For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

128 70 TOF-Q - ?Timing offset Q? Possibly Y/C Delay or sharpness related? For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

129 70 COLORSYS - Related to color system in some way. Values of 0,1 and 7 are color (default=1) and 2,3,4,5 and 6 are Black & White. For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

130 70 Y B Level - ?For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

131 70 V-Freq - Something to do with Vertical Frequency? Possibly can be used to rectify moire effect problems. For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

132 70 R-Y B Level - Red and yellow in blue levels? For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

133 70 B-Y B Level - Blue and Yellow in Blue levels? For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

134 70 Out Mode - ?Output Mode? Doesn't seem to do anything that I can tell. Possibly an indicator. For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

135 70 P/N-ID - ?Part/Number Identification? For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

136 70 C-TRAP - ?Chroma Trap? May affect Y/C Delay? For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

137 70 HD-PHS - Something to do with Horizontal Phase? Switch, default=0, 1=screen moved to the left about 15% of the way. For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

138 70 SW-OFT - Some kind of offset switch? For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

139 70 GP-PHS - Some kind of Phase switch? Default=0, 1=moves screen slightly to the left. For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

140 70 Y-OFST - Some kind of offset? Default=0, setting to 1 makes the screen brighter. I changed this to on since these inputs seemed a bit darker than my settings would be for the RGBHV input. For antenna inputs (and possibly component video inputs) only.

141 UDP 03 - ?

142 UDP 0A - ?

143 PR-Vol - Sub-Volume

144 PIPHSize - Horizontal Size of the video within the Picture-In-Picture window.

145 PIPVSize - Vertical Size of the video within the Picture-In-Picture window.

146 PIPHPos - Horizontal position of the video within the Picture-In-Picture window.

147 PIPVPos - Vertical position of the video within the Picture-In-Picture window.

148 PIPHAcq - Horizontal Acquisition of the video within the PIP window?

149 PIPVAcq - Horizontal Acquisition of the video within the PIP window?

150 21 OSDVPOS - Vertical position of the On-Screen display

151 DOOR - ?

Lots of stuff there that I have no clue what it does. If anybody has any insights I am all ears! Or if anyone feels that is just too much to bother with, perhaps you could recommend a book or website that would explain what some of these things are and how they affect the picture of the set. (I mean, what the hell is an Automatic Brightness Limiter or AFC Loop Gain for, anyway? Stuff like that.)

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by zarlor (edited 04-26-2001).]

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
I also wonder if 52 and 53 can be used to defeat SVM (although they default to 0) and those items with a 70, or D or 21 before them mean they affect different inputs.

Also does anyone know if any of the above look like they would affect "seagulling" or a "seagull effect"? I had a calibrator over last night (and let me say that it is AWESOME to be able to watch "The Matrix without that slight green tinge that I never could get out without too much red blooming!) and he said that on an FPTV he would normally be able to take care of a wave I have down one side of the screen with a menu option normally called Seagull Correction, or sometimes S Correction (which #35 is not, we tried).

Thanks!

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi Lenny,

Finally posted all your tips at the site including the service menu code table format preserved for easier reading.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
KeohiHDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Great! Thanks a lot! That one also has the default values if that provides some clues for any of you folks looking into what some of the codes mean or do. I'll see about working on some pictures to better explain some of the effects that each of the items seem to do and maybe some tips on how they can be used to better assist in fixing convergence errors and otherwise improve image quality.

As they say, "You da bomb!" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Lenny,

This thread has the makings of a terrific reference! I dorked with controls that I was sure about and left the rest alone (having first recorded all the original settings, of course!)

Your assumptions regarding the color difference adjustments are correct and may be adjusted using the red and green filters that come with the Video Essentials disc or by viewing only the red or green CRTs while displaying color bars. For example, while viewing red only, adjust the "R-" adjustments so that all the bars that contain some red (the gray, yellow, majenta and red bars) apppear as nearly equally bright as possible. Adjust the "G-" controls in the same fashion when viewing green only, so that all bars containing some green (the gray, yellow, cyan and green bars) all look as equally bright as possible while viewing green only. Hue, of course, is adjusted while viewing bars in blue only and adjusting for equal intesity of cyan and majenta. (Interestingly, gray scaling need not be corrected prior to making these adjustments since all colors are equally affected by whatever gray scale inaccuracies exist!)

Under ADJ-0, etc. I have to go to "ADJ-3" to access all the menu items to include those which are displayed in a red font. "ADJ-3" is also the only mode in which all changes will be saved when you escape the service menu. In other words, if I make changes then escape while in the "ADJ-0," ADJ-1" or ADJ-2" modes, the changes made to items in sequentially higher menu sections will not be saved.

Number 48, "S-SHARP" doesn't really act like a sub-sharpness control on my set but more like an adjustment for variable Q, or bandwidth, for the video peaking frequency. When viewing HD material the original preset (I think it was "2"?) looked best to me.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 03-30-2001).]

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Re: ADJ-0... ooops. For some reason I put a 2 there instead of the uppermost value, 3. I'll fix that right up. And thanks for the explanation on some of those, that'll help a lot! I'll try to keep editing this version as well as the one on the Keohi site so it can be referenced in either place, but any pictures and the more readable table format will be on the Keohi site.

I have a question, though. What is variable Q and how do you test for it or look for to see what it is affecting?

Also, let me make sure I understand the R-, G-, B- settings correctly (that's 39, 40, 42, 43, 132 & 133). You would use standard color bars using blue only and adjusting Color and Tint just like it says in Avia (or VE) as normal. Then you would adjust something like B-Y B Level to ensure even brightness across the blue containing bars. Then use Red only and use the R- settings to ensure even brightness for red containing bars (made a tad easier with the Red Bars pattern in Avia) and the do the same for Green using green only and the G- settings on the green containing bars. Correct? I remember reading that someplace else before but I wanted to be sure I was perfectly clear on it.

Thanks again!

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by zarlor (edited 03-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by zarlor (edited 03-30-2001).]

·
Registered
33,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Lenny, are you aware that the Matrix IS supposed to have a green hue through much of the movie? I hope you didn't adjust the Big Z to filter out the green based on this movie. If you did, it's not correct.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
No, no, I'm quite aware of that, but I had a green tint that was just too strong. Now it still has the intended amount of green, but not nearly as strong as I was getting it before. It was annoyingly green before, now it is just enough to balance the mood. BTW, I figured out that #132 and #133 do not seem to be related to red or blue levels. Still not quite sure what they do, but the other four adjustments work perfectly like I mentioned.

Dave: What is variable Q and how do you test for it or what do you look for to see what it is affecting?

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Lenny

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Re; variable Q

"Q" refers to "bandwidth" of a filter. Video peaking circuits intro duce a peak in the video freaquency response over a band of frequencies. The higher the Q of the bandpass filter the narrower the band of frequencies will be affected. The lower theQ, the wider the band of frequencies will be affected.

I haven't examined the function of that control on a waveform monitor with a video frequency response test signal to be certain, but my casual observation suggests that the control in question may be widening or narrowing the swath of frequencies being adjusted by the sharpness control. (I could be wrong...it might be doing more than this.)

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Ok, I've done some more experimenting and made some good progress. I've updated the listing above to reflect the changes. Of the most interest to some of you will be that I figured out that the items that have a 70 before them address at least the OTA inputs and might (I haven't been able to check, yet) the other video inputs. The 70s do NOT affect the RGBHV input, though. So it gives you some flexibility in finally getting around to not having to change things like your tint and hue (or color) settings when switching between the inputs. I've also noticed my Ant settings to be darker than my HD-DBS settings and found that setting #140 appeared to work like moving your brightness setting up about 10-20 notches. which puts it just about right compared to my HD-DBS settings. (I'm not certain what it is REALLY doing, though.)

The 70 items are menu items 12, 56, 57 and 126-140. Also the items beginning with BS (#24-27) seem to only affect the HD-DBS mode.

Let me know if any of you guys find out anything more on any of these.

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by zarlor (edited 04-25-2001).]

·
Registered
33,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lenny,

SUPER work!! I can't wait to try some of these adjustments to "equalize" my inputs. Like you, I find that my antenna picture is definitely darker than my VGA satellite input. Likewise, the component input is darker than the VGA input. I would guess the component brightness is comparable to the antenna brightness. Equalizing these inputs would be like having individual settings (something Zenith overlooked in a set of this quality).

Keep up the great work Len!

·
Registered
33,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lenny,

No luck. I tried your suggestions on the "70" prefix items as it relates to my HD OTA antenna input. There was no observable change on either color, tint or brightness. While watching WCBS HD via my OTA antenna, I made the adjustments but saw no changes at all. The "21" prefix adjustments all work as per the description (this was no surprise since I've adjusted those before).

Am I doing something wrong with the "70" adjustments or is there something not right with my set? Were you using a HD OTA feed while watching the changes?

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Well, I guess that answers a question nagging in the back of my mind. I don't have any stations locally broadcasting HD until late this year, so there was no way I could test for digital OTA. So I gues the 70s only affect analog OTA (and possibly the video inputs, but I have yet to really test that.)

As a side note, though, somewhere along the line I seem to have changed a setting that disabled the internal crosshatch, or more accurately that completely mutes any display from the convergence screen (the 9,8,7,5 one). You can still modify everything, but can't see the cursor to tell what color it currently is or anything. At any rate, I'll work thorugh that one and let ya'll know what it is that did it.

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Larry,

Thanks again for all your research!

This latest relevation regarding the controls with the prefix "70" is excellent news and it's "almost" all I needed in the way of custom control of video levels: I find that the video level presets that I established for the RGBHV HD input actually track to digital OTA signals via the Zenith's internal ATSC tuner, too. The only sources that I've experienced low video on (dark picture with excessive chroma) have been analog OTA and other non-ATSC and non-external HD sources anyway! It appears that the only sub control that will be of any use to me will be "56 70 S-Col" for reducing non-RGBHV chroma level, though. There doesn't appear to be a sub contrast control for non-RGBHV.

I don't currently have a component video source to test how levels might be affected on the Y, Pb, Pr inputs since I'm using an HTPC with RGBHV outputs plus a DTC100 with RGBHV outputs.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Well, I just got home and started comparing my Service Menu with Lenny's list and discovered a happy discrepancy. On my menu item 12 is listed as "12 70 S-Cont", not "12 21 S-Cont" as Lenny stated. It allows me to adjust non-HD contrast which is just what I needed. Now I have a perfect match. Note that item # 38 is "38 21 S-Con" for adjusting contrast on all HD sources, both via the Zenith's internal ATSC tuner and via the RGBHV HDTV input. Ken, I now have achieved great matching among all sources, but I haven't looked at the Y, Pb, Pr component inputs for reasons stated above.

To reiterate: "21" prefixes affect the internal ATSC tuner's video and the video from the RGBHV HDTV input and "70" prefixes affect all non-ATSC and non-HDTV video.

Thanks to Lenny I'm now a happy camper! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Lenny, you are a prince, my man!

Ken, does this do it for you or am I to take it that you have video level discrepancies between your internal ATSC tuner video vs. levels from sources fed via the RGBHV HDTV input as well?

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Registered
33,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It would be great if we could find which controls affect the color, tint and brightness for HD OTA via the Zenith HD tuner. I know Dave seems to have a good balance, but mine could be better and sounds like Len's is the same as mine.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Doh! I double-checked as well and found out that I transcribed number 12 incorrectly. It is definitively a 70, so that now explains the difference between #12 and #38.

As for HD, I would have thought HD OTA would have been affected the same way as the RGBHV input, but I don't have any local OTA HD (my problem was a difference with DSS/DVD which both use the RGBHV connection and analog cable reception.)

Otherwise I was busy last nighht and didn't get to check for what setting turned off the convergence grid or to check for certain that the 70 settings also affect the standard video inputs. I have no way to check where the component inputs fall in this scheme, so if someone does get an opportunity to check for me I'd really appreciate it.

------------------

Lenny Zimmermann

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
A little warning about #12: be careful not to set this too high as white region video clipping may occur.

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

·
Registered
33,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave,

You got it. My level discrepensies are between satellite HD (RGBHV) and the internal Zenith tuner. Actually Dave, my satellite non HD and satellite HD are really close in levels, it's the ATSC Zenith tuner that's darker. Also, it seemed that ALL of the 2nd generation HD STBs, via the component inputs, were also darker than the RGBHV input. So it seems that the VGA input is too bright since it's the only one that has this higher brightness level. I guess it's back to the drawing boards. I wonder if there is some adjustment for just the RGBHV levels?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.