AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to get into the service menu on the 36SDX01S to adjust the vertical squeeze parameter in a particular mode?

This 36" TV has anamorphic squeeze, but it is made for 16:9 HDTV, not DVD's. The result is the picture is just a *bit* too tall when watching widescreen DVD's in 16:9 mode. I'm guessing (hoping) I can adjust it so all my 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 DVD's will look correct.

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

Same request, same results here. The squeeze is not quite squeezed enough.

Great set though. I'm enjoying it with 5 OTA HD channels though a DT100. Since the DTC100 goes through the VGA input you can adjust the squeeze as you like. (I also use HTPC)

I'm finding the fine dot-ptich makes it the ideal 36" direct view HD display. *but* its internal line doubler is not so bueno. Must now get progressive scan DVD source!

If only the line doubler were defeatable in the service menu this would truly be the perfect set now.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what did you do about the squeeze? Did you ever get into the service menu to adjust it?

I still have 25 days to decide whether to keep this TV or not.

Question for you Kenland. If you don't like the line-doubler, why didn't you get the RCA MM36110 equivalent without it? Just curious.

Robert

·
Registered
3,679 Posts

I would prefer and recommend the MM36110 over the 36SDX01S, however the RCA wont fit in my cabinet.

I have access to the RCA at a very nearby BestBuy and have confirmed its tube pitch is slightly superior to the Hitachi. I've read however that the 1999 Hitachi has the same exact tube as the RCA.

The tube pitch on the 36SDX01S is still a close second to the RCA and much finer than the offerings from Sony XBR and Panasonic Tau. I don't have access to a Princeton Graphics so it may better, but too pricey for my current purposes.

The way I see it the MM36110 or the 36SDX01S are the perfect compromise right now. You can do absolutely everything with them - HD component, VGA, HTPC - beautiful eyepopping image (HD/progressive required). And they're *cheap* so even if they became "obsolete" you're out only a few hundred more dollars than for a non-hd set. (My opinion so keep your skewers in the drawer http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

BTW, haven't done anything about the undersqueeze. It's not that bad. In fact it might be a more pleasing fix to slightly widen the image for a slightly cropped but bigger 16x9 area.

I have an uncle that can get service manuals I'll ask him if he can get one for our TV's. Would you be interested?

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I would be interested in the service manual, even better if you can find it in PDF format.

Thanks!

Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.