1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
You can find this and a lot of other great info at:
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/

Roger

------------------

System: B&K AVR307, Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD, JVC HR-5400U SVHS

Philips CDR880 CDR, Sony SAT-HD100 & B50 DBS, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable

Polk RT2000P mains, Polk CS350 Center, Polk LS/FX Surrounds

Sunfire Signature True Subwoofer, Pronto Remote

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roger, thanks for the reply, but the site you listed does detail how to enter service mode, but not on my RPTV. Again the model is TP48D90. When I go through the sequence of pressing mute on my remote, then pressing mute again and holding it down while pressing the menu button on my set, releasing the menu button then the mute button, it does not display an "S" (designating service mode) in the upper right corner. Rather it displays 4 lines of information in the upper left corner, as if it's already into a setting. I believe line 1 shows "ADDR BASE", line 2 shows a value of 160, I not sure about line 3, and 4 shows a binary value.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Michael Hackney

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Keep reading the info.

Use volume up & down to change values and channel up & down to change settings.

Make sure you right down original values.

Regardless, this is VERY DANGEROUS and can damage the set or get in a situation where you may get hung up and not able to recover.

Tim

·
Registered
731 Posts
Tim is right, you are in service mode. I also agree with his warning, you should read everything on the site I provided the link for above about service mode changes on Toshiba sets. There are specific things to look out for that have caused others expensive headaches. Go through all the setting and enter them into a spreadsheet or write them all down before you change anything.

Roger

------------------

System: B&K AVR307, Toshiba TW65H80 RPTV, Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD, JVC HR-5400U SVHS

Philips CDR880 CDR, Sony SAT-HD100 & B50 DBS, Phase Linear 8000 Turntable

Polk RT2000P mains, Polk CS350 Center, Polk F/X 500i Surrounds

Sunfire Signature True Subwoofer, Pronto Remote
My HT Pics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I read the rest of the instructions and am prepared to write all settings down before using the volume up/down key to change anything, but thanks again for the warning.

Again, if I was truly in service mode, shouldn't I be able to press channel up/down to scroll through various settings? When I press channel up/down it just changes the channel. If I press the number 7 key it doesn't go into convergence mode, but does nothing. Therefore, I assume I'm truly not in service mode.

The problem I'm having on my set appears to be a pincushion or convergence problem on the left side. The red gun is the culprit. I know this because when I go to the test (by moving a switch to test on front of TV) pattern a cross-hair target appears of which you are to line up the three colors with. I have four knobs to adjust the convergence with; RV, RH, BV, BH, green stays still. The RH will not move the misaligned red horizontal line to the left. Only the red vertical line moves left or right when I turn the RH knob. Actually, if I watch closely the left end of the red horizontal line actuall moves an 1/8in to the right. When I turn the RV knob though they both move vertically correctly. When watching a normal program, anything with red is shifted to the right a couple of inches, and on the far left side of the screen is a small arc of red filled with green/blue.

Anyway, I thought the service mode may reveal an answer to my problem by adjusting the convergence.

Thanks

Michael

·
Registered
21 Posts
Try pushing the menue a second time as this is the way my Toshiba set works. Then press seven as that will get you the convergence grid. Hope this helps.

------------------

milt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried pressing menu twice but that didn't work. Here's an update of what is actually displayed when I attempt to go into service mode via the mute, mute and hold, menu sequence. The four lines in the upper left side of the screen read ADDR DATA, 160H OEH, Binary, 00001110B, respectively. When I hit menu mutiple times it changes (maybe 6 times) lines 2 and 4 until it disappears . If I press mute another time it resets the TV, I guess to factory settings.

Thanks for the continued input. It atleast keeps me hopeful.

Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.