AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone go for the "service plan" option that some stores offer? I always laugh when the transaction is coming to a close and the sales guy offers it. It's like, "would I really want to give you another 200 bucks so you can take the top off and blow the dust out once every couple years." But maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
12,300 Posts
Actually sometimes...

They may be worthwhile... Really depends upon the plan cost to the total unit price.. Since the products are covered by the brands' warranty, this may look good on the surface but often doesn't work smoothly.. Who pays the shipping? How long will it be out for repair?

Todays' electronic products are essentially throwaways except the higher end products. Check out some of the warrantys', 1 Year Parts 90 Days Labor. So if a $2 part goes out in 5 months, I get the part for $0 but still have to pay the $100 minmum labor charge..

In many instances..

But not always if U shop closely for the best price, often the Service Plan may be a pretty, good deal.. By pushing the product purchase price down it may be a good idea to let this steeper product discount subsidize the service plan. Especially if the subject product is under heavy use and could very likely be obsolete in short time, as usually the seller of the service plan just throws the returned product into the dumpster. As he has already made his profit on the original sale plus the additional profits from his overall service plan sales.

Just my $.02 worth.. :cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Depends on what i'm buying. Did purchase extended service plan for my 57 inch rp tv. paid off for me, besides i love to call my sales guy and tell him its broke FIX IT :D

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I always buy the Best Buy extended warranty when I buy a vacuum cleaner, and it has always more than paid off. At one time, they gave me away four (4) brand new cleaners, over a 3 year contract period!!!

Lesson: it depends on what you are buying and how you are going to use it...

·
Registered
173 Posts
It really does depend on what your buying and how much the extended warranty costs compared to the cost of the product. I did get the extended warranty on my Xbox and also on my Panny CP72 DVD player. The price was right for both. I was actually surprised how little it was for the DVD player. With the DVD drive issues the Xbox had and the build quality of the Panny CP72 I figured it was worth it to me.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about the service thing, though? You know, where they say they'll "clean and maintain" it once a year for the next whatever years. Is that worth it?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Quote:
What about the service thing, though? You know, where they say they'll "clean and maintain" it once a year for the next whatever years. Is that worth it?
For the amps/receivers? I don't think so...!

What do you think there is to be "maintained" in a normally functioning receiver? Can't think of any...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.