Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned it, what happens now?

Do I get banned for life? I've read the warning 10000 times but I'm not sure what would happen. I'm curious, I have to find the answer.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I think it is in reference to enjoying your local historical society and not paying the "suggested donation."

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
You can mention it... just don't DISCUSS it!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I can see why service theft is banned, but why no mention of show sharing? It's not illegal is it? No more than lending a VHS tape to your friends.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Jeff,

You had to go and do it, didn't you, so yes, you are now a band for life, so start singing! :)

Pradeep,

We killed talk of show sharing for your own protection. The evil folks over at the MPAA are monitoring the web (just like their evil twins over at the RIAA) and could well decide to drop a law suit on your a$$ if they see you posting show requests. Furthermore they could do the same to the owners of this site, just ask the Planet Replay guys how well they treated them!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Thanks Robman. I didn't realise that the MPAA was out to get those evil people who share recordings of the Simpsons etc. I could understand if people are copying DVDs and then sending them. But stuff that is beamed into your house for free? Bl### lawyers :D

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Pradeep
I can see why service theft is banned, but why no mention of show sharing? It's not illegal is it? No more than lending a VHS tape to your friends.
The television production studios have a slightly different interpretation of "friend" than "some guy who posted a request for a show on a BBS".

Yes, I know that's *their* interpretation. So why is talk of show-sharing banned here? I assume Alan and David, the owners of this site, are not interested in the same afternoon me and others have spent with the lawyers of some of Hollywood's "finest". :)

PS- Jeff, you're fired.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jleavens
PS- Jeff, you're fired.
From my current unemployment? excellent! -)

And everyone should remember that show from the 80's...."Lawyers are people too!"

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
I *do* understand about no requests for shows here. But, I gotta ask: why does the Yahoo group still exist and have hundreds of requests? :)

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great Lee did it, he told the lawyers right where to look... Someone else will surely help them figure out the search...

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Oh, crap, so, if you're 'band', what am I? :D (Maybe don't answer that...)

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
I *do* understand about no requests for shows here. But, I gotta ask: why does the Yahoo group still exist and have hundreds of requests? :)
They have more money to spend on lawyers. :)

Actually, I think the actual active groups over there are setup as "private", meaning you need to get an invite to get in. That implies more of a "friend" than this board, which could have posts from anyone. In theory, a filling a show request posted here could be the only and only communication you have with a user, which even in the broadest sense would be hard to term "loaning to a friend".

The internet has made for some very interesting interpretations these days. Some people have incredibly intimate relationships with people they've never met in person. I consider myself to have many "friends" here at AVS Forum. However, there are very few here that I've communicated with in person or by telephone.

The problem in defending peer-to-peer sharing is that I think there is a difference between sending a show to a personal friend and sending one to someone you've never ever had contact with, and there's a lot of gray area in the middle. One might fall within fair use, and the other might be considered "re-broadcasting". The problem is you can't evaluate the relationship between two people for every transaction that takes place, putting both Replay and the TV studios somewhere in the "right" on the issue. There's a part of the process that still has yet to be figured out.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Here's some more stuff to consider. When a privately owned site like Planet Replay had active show sharing forums, the evit giants went after them. If AVS were to allow show sharing here, they could also be a target.

Yahoo on the other hand is so big, and probably has no knowledge of what people are doign in their Yahoo Groups, that it's unlikely the MPAA folks are going to go after them. As for the individual members of that Yahoo forum, it's up to them just how anonymous they chose to be. If they are quite open about who they are, they could very well become a target.

The bottom line is this, it's up to each site's admin what they allow to happen on their site. AVS made a decision regarding show sharing. It's totally within Yahoo's rights to make a similar decision for their site, but they are unlikely to do so unless someone forces them to.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.