AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about adding a subwoofer to my 2 channels system . Since I currently own a pair of Paradigm reference 60 V2, I am thinking about buying the Paradigm Servo 15. I have contacted 4 Paradigm dealers here in Montreal (Canada) to check whether they have the Servo 15 in store to listen to it. All four told me that they do not have a demo. Thus, I have two questions. First, since I use my system only for music, am I going to notice a big difference in sound quality-fidelity if I add the subwooofer? Second, the lowest price I found is 1400$ canadien + taxes (about 970 US dollars). The price includes the servo 15 and the x30 control unit. Is it a good price?Thanks for your help and advice.

My system is the following:

Receiver HK 3475

DVD HK DVD 25

Speakers Paradigm Reference 60 V.2

Zied

·
Registered
859 Posts
Yes. 1400 is not a bad price for the servo 15. But that is a phone in quote. You can still try to sqeeze a little more out from them before you pay for your purchase.

2ndly, i suggest going a different route from the servo 15. I am a paradigm fan myself. Infact, I WILL GET a Servo 15 for my HOME THEATER SETUP. But not for my stereo setup.

Fr music listening, i suggest getting a much more musical sub. something that's tight and more detailed than the servo. say... a LINN, or even the new Mirage OM200 sub. both sell for about 1500 cdn.

·
Registered
383 Posts
That's certainly a lot cheaper than you can get in the States! The list price on the Servo-15 on this side of the border is $1,500 USD.

The only thing I would check on is whether a new version of the Servo-15 is imminent. I know that Paradigm has already displayed four new subwoofers at CEDIA, the Servo-2500 (part of the Signature series), the new Seismic subwoofers (downfiring design with two opposing passive radiators), and the PW-2100. With the introduction of the Studio v.3 series, it's possible that a successor to the Servo-15 can come out anytime now. This would leave you with a choice of either buying the discontinued Servo-15 at a discounted price, or getting the new and improved version.

With an Adire Audio Rava subwoofer (sealed box subwoofer like the Servo-15, except with a 12" driver and 250 watt amp), the biggest improvement I heard was with acoustic music. It opened up the entire frequency range by stretching the bass down to 25 Hz and relieving my speakers from having to reproduce the low bass, which in turn improves the midrange coherency. And it gave the music a sense of presence that I hadn't heard before. The Servo-15's sealed box design is very condusive to the kind of tight bass you want with music.

But, to get the maximum benefit for your investment, I strongly recommend that you get a test disc and SPL meter, so that you can identify any potential room-related problems, such as severe peaking at certain frequencies. My subwoofer's in-room response initially showed two huge 15 db+ peaks, which made the overall sound excessively boomy.

By using a parametric equalizer, I was able to dial down these peaks, which dramatically improved the bass and integration with the rest of the system. There are other room treatments, such as corner traps and absorption panels, that can also help even out the bass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks GreatBop and Woochifer for your replies.

I have just checked Mirage's website regarding the om200 sub. It is a very beautiful sub. I like also the idea that the om200 does not vibrate like other subs (buying this sub will keep peace in the building where I live)However, I don't find many reviews of this sub. Is there a reason for that? I have read several messages on avs forum suggesting that the Servo 15 is very musical. That is why I was thinking that Servo 15 would be a good choice for me. It is too bad that I can not hear it to judge the musicality of the servo 15. Have you any other suggestions regarding high quality subs which are optimal for music systems?

Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
I came real close to getting a Servo 15 and ended up getting a Martin Logan Depth. If you can, give the Depth a listen, very musical and does real well for HT also.

The three driver configuration works very well.

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I have 2 of the servo 15's, and I listened to quite a few others when I was shopping. I dont know why anyone would say this not a musical sub. In comparison to the Martin Logan, I find that the servo is faster, more transient and clean, but still capable of reaching down every bit as low as the ML Depth (lower maybe) The very light cone material makes it a very responsive sub, and the closed loop servo virtually elliminates all distortion. Just as a side note, if you live in an apartment building, you are gonna piss off your neighbors no matter what kind of sub you get. There are a lot of misconceptions about what kind of sub is better for not transferring through floors and walls, but the simple fact is that if you create enough volume in the right frequency band, you are gonna bother your neighbors. It makes no difference how big or small the sub is, how heavy it is , whether it fires down or sideways, or if it uses some new fancy bass technology to make it work, etc. If you have big bass, its going to go through walls.

And the price you are getting quoted is very good. This sub goes for much higher south of the border, its just another nice thing about living in Canada.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Warren,

I did not mean to imply that I thought the Servo-15 was not musical.

I would have been happy with either sub The Martin Logan does "fit" into my space a whole lot better, purely from a size point of view.

What is the size of your room you have your dual Servo's in?

Matt

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice Warren,

Do you use your servo 15 when listening to music? Does it add a big difference to your listening experience?

Regards,

Zied

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Zeid.

I paid 1200$ cdn with the X-30 include, in the Montreal area. By phone, they usually don,t give you a good price. Go see them directly, and aim for 1200$ cdn with the X-30. Good luck!

In canada, the Servo-15 is a really good deal!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Alain,

May I ask you in which store have you bought the servo-15 and when? Do you find the Servo-15 a good sub for music?

Regards,

Zied

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I use my Servo-15 together with my PSB Stratus Goldi. The Stratus is already able to get pretty low with its 10" woofers, but the Servo-15 adds the final octave neccessary for really low bass. The difference isn't astounding, but once you get used to it, you'll be wondering how you got by without it :)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Zied. Send me a PM for the name of my dealer.

For HT only, and just some rumble, there is alot of other choices then the Servo-15. But if you are a music lover, the Servo-15 is really fast and accurate, probably one of the best. And for the price we can have it for in Canada, don,t hesitate...

But don,t get me wrong, you will have ALOT of rumble with the Servo-15 with HT too!

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Quote:
i suggest getting a much more musical sub. something that's tight and more detailed than the servo. say... a LINN, or even the new Mirage OM200 sub.
IMO, the Servo-15 is one of the most musical commercial subs out there. I find the Mirage, Linn, REL & other tiny 'musical' subs to be undersized and anemic (no extension, weak output).

Quote:
I like also the idea that the om200 does not vibrate like other subs
The Servo-15s cabinet is totally inert (even when playing at high SPL). Bass waves are going to transmit through floors and walls (there is no way to stop this). Either get a quality sub and deal with the neighbors or get a poor sub and deal with poor performance.

I used my Servo-15 for 3 yrs. with Studio 40s until I replaced it with a large DIY design. At Canadian pricing they are a great deal...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My response was more to GreatBop, I find my Servos to be very tight and detailed. I run my 2 servos in a room that is 14x20x8 feet. It is an L shaped room, but these are the dimensions of the theater portion of it. Check out the pics of my HT in the link at the bottom. I also have mine running with a pair of Studio 100's, ADP's, Center, and 20's all v2's. I can tell you that the difference with or without the sub on is huge. The bass from these things is tremendous and fills the room with power to spare. If you have not had a sub on your system, there is no comparison, you have to add one, of course, two is better :D

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have a pair of Studio 60s and a Servo 15. I think the Servo 15 is a very clean sub - very good for music. I got mine without the X crossover unit, you can save a few bucks that way if you don't need it. My reciever has an 80Hz crossover and I just use that. The distance setting works like a phase setting on the X crossover.

In my room the 60s work well down to 30Hz, and not a lot of music goes below that. For the rare music track with low bass and any action or sci-fi DVD the Servo-15 does a great job.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Those are great prices for the Servo-15 in Canada. Will any of these Canadian dealers will ship to the U.S.? Would there be any import taxes?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.