AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy was I surprised that Airboss hadn't created a thread for this one already. If you are a horror fan this is a must see. This is a film from 2001 staring David Caruso and I found it to be very well done, creepy and somewhat disturbing. Don't expect a gorefest, but a creepy movie that takes its time to build something of substance and it is worth the wait.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261983/

·
Registered
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/17017887

Boy was I surprised that Airboss hadn't created a thread for this one already. If you are a horror fan this is a must see. This is a film from 2001 staring David Caruso and I found it to be very well done, creepy and somewhat disturbing. Don't expect a gorefest, but a creepy movie that takes its time to build something of substance and it is worth the wait.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0261983/

I saw this in 2002 and did not join AVS until 2005. "Session 9" was just 'Ok' for me; it did not leave a lasting impression.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/17018574

Of course it was discussed!
Excellent, creepy movie.

http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...hlight=session
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...hlight=session

larry

Thanks for the links! There were a few interesting posts in those, I like the comparison to the Shinning and could not agree more that Danver's Asylum makes for a much creepier location than any set the best designers could come up with.

I see a few complaining about it being too slow and not creepy but obviously disagree. I really love movies that take their sweet time building and building. It seems so rare these days to find a good horror movie that does not throttle you from the get go with shock value. This was one of the reason I rank Audition up among the best it almost ends up boring until the last 15 minutes but it pays off in spades. I also liked that Session 9 leaves some questions up for discussion when the credits roll. As I said I really enjoyed this one but obviously I am just a tad late to this party

·
Banned
4,673 Posts
It was kinda creepy at the time but it was definitely a B-movie rental from blockbuster. I wouldn't recommend to anyone as a must-see or first rental.. Maybe a if-you-have-to-rent-5-to-get-the-full-discount..

·
Registered
516 Posts
Funny this flick should be brought up again...I have a brother who actually worked a security detail at Danvers State Hospital before the place closed down for good. This film had some resonance for him, with his experiences in that place. He showed me the film, and I found it very strange and a bit harrowing.

·
Registered
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss /forum/post/17018737

I saw this in 2002 and did not join AVS until 2005. "Session 9" was just 'Ok' for me; it did not leave a lasting impression.

ibid.

saw it years ago - much about nothing.

a bad version of The Ring - basically.

I need to find a copy of The Sisters and rent it. Me thinks it would be better.

·
Registered
782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi /forum/post/17019657

Thanks for the links! There were a few interesting posts in those, I like the comparison to the Shinning and could not agree more that Danver's Asylum makes for a much creepier location than any set the best designers could come up with.

I see a few complaining about it being too slow and not creepy but obviously disagree. I really love movies that take their sweet time building and building. It seems so rare these days to find a good horror movie that does not throttle you from the get go with shock value. This was one of the reason I rank Audition up among the best… it almost ends up boring until the last 15 minutes but it pays off in spades. I also liked that Session 9 leaves some questions up for discussion when the credits roll. As I said I really enjoyed this one but obviously I am just a tad late to this party

it take more than a creepy setting to make a great movie - one needs a PLOT also.

saw Audition, it too was creepy and though better than Session9 - not great.

if you like creepy (and I mean GREEPY - being the interview with Damian and the Cop in the cell - with all the talk about "old friends" and "if is forbidden" to name names and that drip of water in the sink and talk of "the master"). just rent Exoricist 3 and watch the best greepy movie with a PLOT made so far!

I'm an atheist BTW and that one was WAY more greepy that than Exorcist 1!!

just sayin. ingore if you like. or......... try renting it.

there is one scene (PURE LONG ATTENTION SPAN OLD SCHOOL FILMING) which will make you s%&t your pants. BUT you have to be willing to wait for it.

those who have seen the flick know of which scene I speak of ;-).

·
Registered
782 Posts
not to belabor the point - but the craft of the guy who filmed that one scene in Exorcist 3 should really be commended. At a time (even back in the early 90's) when the public attention span was/is so short to insist upon a setting to film a clip that takes at the very least 5 minutes (if not 100 of NO ACTION) and then to end that clip with a little something ;-) is pure balls. Pure anti-capitalist even! Old school filming is dead (as is was in 1991) and I commend the person who insisted upon filming that part of the film as he (she) did.

such a thing is reserved for the cinematographer? I guess? or the director? - or both? I wonder who this person was. He should get a medal.

seriously he/she should. that clip is up there with Hitchcock/Wells.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo /forum/post/17042402

ibid.

saw it years ago - much about nothing.

a bad version of The Ring - basically.

I need to find a copy of The Sisters and rent it. Me thinks it would be better.

Sorry but Session 9 and The Ring were nothing alike, at all. If anything One Missed Call was a bad version of The Ring (and yes I am talking about the Japanese version on both).

Different strokes my friend... I found Session 9 and Audition to both be creepy and very well done. As stated above they were both a refreshing change from the insta-shock gorefest flicks and the plot was more interesting than others that get so much praise around here like Inside and High Tension (imo of course). I think movies like Saw (at least the first 3) and Martyrs have a less basic and more interesting plot but but I still enjoy the straight forward flicks that take their time to build to a climax. ymmv

·
Registered
782 Posts
We can agre to dissagree i hope. I loathed High Tension (liked it until the "twist ending").

Wolf Creek (or some such) was MUCH better than HT. I recommend it highly.

and of course Exorcist 3 if you have not seen it.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I should try to find the DVD of Session 9 sometime. I remember liking it when I saw it in the theater.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.