AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to recommend to everyone in the forum a movie I had a chance to catch last Friday night called "Session 9". It stars David Curuso (of "NYPD Blue" fame) as a member of a asbestos removal team hired to do a job at an abandoned insane asylum.

This is not a hack and slash special (a la "Scream" and its antecedents) nor a special effects extravaganza (a la the miserable new version of "The Haunting"). Rather, it's a good old fashion horror movie that relies on character development, setting, and the horror of what is hinted at than what is actually seen.

Filmed in HD-video (same as Star Wars Ep. II) it uses the dreary setting of the real-life Danver's Asylum outside Boston, MA (an actual abandoned asylum closed due to the Regan budget cuts in the 1980's) for some of the creepiest scenes I ever seen commited to film.

Highly recommened.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I totally agree, i love horror movies of all types.

this was one of the best suspence horror movies ive seen in awhile

i highly recommend checking it out

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I don't mean to bash other people's opinions or anything, just present an alternate opinion for those reading.

I thought "Session 9" was a letdown. The filmmakers had a fantastic spooky location to use, but didn't use it to much effect. The movie builds extremely slowly (which is fine), but never pays off. The spookiest scene actually occurs in the first half of the film, and nothing done after it ever really comes close to topping it. Once the movie was over I found myself questioning what Session 9 really had to do with the story that unfolded, it seemed completely unrelated to what happened with the characters in the film. I would be more specific, but I don't want to give anything away for those interested in seeing it.

Those interested in horror/suspense films would do well to check out what's being done with the genre in asia right now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.