AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just wanted to stop by and ask a question about how to get the proper aspect ratio when burning your home movies. Before some mod/admin gets his panties in a wad, I am referring to my own, home made movies. You know, christmas, kids birthday parties, that kind of stuff. And, you may not believe it, but there is actually free downloadable content out there, that can be burned to a DVD.

So my question is this. In which part of the process, do you set the aspect ratio? Specifically, how do you get it to fill the whole TV? I have a typical Samsung 52" LCD. However, when I convert my mpeg movies to DVD and burn them, I have about 4 inches all the way around the picture, of black screen. And in the middle, the movie plays. I can tell my TV to try it's best to stretch it out, but this of course looks like hammered crap. So do you set the aspect ratio to 16:9 when you are burning? Cause I tried that and I still have the same effect.

Or could it just be the native resolution of the video/mpeg itself? It is only a mere 480x320, but really, that shouldn't matter. There should still be a way that I can make it become the proper size to fill the TV. Or at least get closer to the right size, than 4 inches of black all the way around. Anyone know what I need to do to make it get closer to filling the screen?

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
It sound like a you burned a 4:3 DVD with 16:9 content. What you must do is to encode the movie as 16:9. And of course the encoder must know that the source is 16:9 aswell.

Did yóur camera record as 16:9 anamorphic or as 4:3 letterboxed?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know. I guess I will have to check that out.

But I am a little confused. Do you mean that when I tried to burn a 4:3 movie file, I might have accidentally told the burning software to turn it into 16:9?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts