AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us are wondering if anyone's had success setting the correct time on an RD-XS35 now that TVGOS has been discontinued.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Have you gone into the Setup screen to reset the clock? I downloaded the pdf manual and read page 157:

Guide and Clock reset

To correct the clock of the recorder.

This option includes the TV Guide On Screen resetting

process, followed by power off of the recorder. Refer to

the guidance to operate.

*Caution*

I am new to this recorder. This will delete any timer programming you've set in the TV Guide screen, so you should write down the settings of your scheduled recordings before you do the reset. Once the reset is complete, you should do the manual setting of the clock in the setup screen. I do not know if this will reset any other settings in the recorder, so do this at your own risk. You will have to perform this procedure again to account for Daylight Savings Time changes, if applicable.

Steps:

1. Go into the Setup screen. Note the Time & Date setting option is greyed out. Scroll down to Guide and Clock reset and hit Enter on your remote.

2. You'll see the following screen: The Time can be changed by resetting the Guide. Select Yes to proceed.

3. A warning screen tells you're about to reset the Guide (and likely erase any timer recordings programmed). Select Yes to proceed.

4. Another warning screen says the Guide will be reset. Do not power off the recorder or unplug it from the power outlet. The recorder will power off itself after some time.

5. Once the recorder is off, power the recorder back on. Go back to the Setup screen and you should now be able to scroll to and select the Time & Date setting option in step one. Perform the Manual clock set.

6. Perform the TV Guide setup procedure. You may see this screen:

Hopefully, this should help you. But I can't guarantee the timer setting in the TV Guide screen will work. The pdf manual does specify that you can set up a manual timer recording on page 43. If this isn't what you're looking for, someone who is more familiar with this recorder should chime in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The approach outlined by em-t-wallitt is correct "by the book", but I have been loathe to try it that way because I'm afraid I'm going to lose all the data from the previous TVGOS downloads. That includes all the network names and, in my case, a carefully constructed menu that puts all the channels of interest on the first pages of the "listings" section.

With TVGOS now "off the air" (ie. not available on cable/satellite) for almost a year, I'm not sure what will happen when you execute the "Set up TV Guide on screen now" - the final step of the process.

I'm afraid the machine will freeze up and refuse to start up again when it cannot find a link to the TVGOS information, which is no longer available.

I was hoping there was some workaround straight into the software (firmware?) which would allow a manual reset of the clock only, and not disturb the previous TV Guide settings.

I have written to Toshiba separately and will post their reply if I get one, though I doubt they will help for a unit long out of production and now well out of warranty as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl  /t/1522140/set-correct-time-on-toshiba-rd-xs35#post_24470950

Some of us are wondering if anyone's had success setting the correct time on an RD-XS35 now that TVGOS has been discontinued.

You, of all people, should know the answer! It's not as bad as view60 thinks, but still is a major annoyance.

What happens is to access the clock setting, you must go through the TVGOS setup process. When you are finished, of course, the TV Guide is blank and will remain blank, but the recorder still maintains all usable functions. So you set the correct time. To record, you must do so manually.

The irritating thing for me is that the clock on the recorder will drift after awhile. At one point, it may be 5-8 minutes off (maybe after a year or so). To reset the clock you have to go through the TVGOS process. Unfortunately, what this does is erase your recording schedules. So you will have to jot them all down and reprogram the recorder again. If you have 3-4 pages of recording schedules, this is a major PITA.

In short, there is no way to readjust the clock without going thru the TVGOS setup routine. The clock setting is grayed out otherwise.

And to view60, if you expect to get a reply from Toshiba: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! This problem could easily be fixed by a firmware update but Toshiba hasn't done that since 2008 or so.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Of course you're right, but as others I was wondering if there was a workaround that would let you keep all your channel lineups and recording schedules. I guess not?

On a brighter note I just won (a first for me) an Ebay auction on a RDXS-54 . Even in this post-TVGOS era, I'm looking forward to taking it for a spin when it gets here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts