AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say I would like to do a custom setup using the G70 with ABG turned off. My intention is to be able to use it that way all the time (with ABG off).

I've gathered some information here at the forum on how to correctly set G2 for such setup, but I still have some questions.

I'm planning to follow this procedure:
"In order to setup the G2 settings on a G70 according to the "factory" settings, it involves using an analyzer (and the Sony analyzer is preferable for these setting). The analyzer that Sony uses is attached to the lens face.

The Bias settings are set to the factory default levels and the G2 controls are used to adjust internal pluge pattern to gray at a level of 3 Nits (0.8769 ft/L)."

Could someone please tell me what "factory default levels" for Bias means? Is that the settings after a factory reset or the basic values stated in the Service Manual for setting color temperature. The values in the SM I'm talking about is:

Color Temperature 6500ºK

Chromaticity diagram: x=0.313, y=0.329

GAIN: R185 G203 B255

BIAS: R74 G77 B46

My second question is what should Brightness and Contrast be set at when setting the G2 to 3 Nits. Should they be at default 50 and 80 respectively?

John

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE
Let's say I would like to do a custom setup using the G70 with ABG turned off. My intention is to be able to use it that way all the time (with ABG off).

I've gathered some information here at the forum on how to correctly set G2 for such setup, but I still have some questions.

I'm planning to follow this procedure:
"In order to setup the G2 settings on a G70 according to the "factory" settings, it involves using an analyzer (and the Sony analyzer is preferable for these setting). The analyzer that Sony uses is attached to the lens face.

The Bias settings are set to the factory default levels and the G2 controls are used to adjust internal pluge pattern to gray at a level of 3 Nits (0.8769 ft/L)."

Could someone please tell me what "factory default levels" for Bias means? Is that the settings after a factory reset or the basic values stated in the Service Manual for setting color temperature. The values in the SM I'm talking about is:

Color Temperature 6500ºK

Chromaticity diagram: x=0.313, y=0.329

GAIN: R185 G203 B255

BIAS: R74 G77 B46

My second question is what should Brightness and Contrast be set at when setting the G2 to 3 Nits. Should they be at default 50 and 80 respectively?

John
John,

Yes that would be the settings after a factory reset. Also, the contrast and brightness should be set to 50 and 80 so your right on the button as far as I know. Bruce?????

Cliff

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cliff,

I saw that you hired a pro to setup your G70 and that you're very satisfied with the results. Congratulations. Are you now using the set with ABG on or off?

If you've replaced tubes, would the procedure to set G2 be the same as if you haven't changed any tubes? I have recently replaced a tube.

I've also got a related question about the misspellings in the Service Manual. It's in the section for 6500ºK adjustments.

To begin with the manual says you should input the "100 IRE all white signal" from the video in terminal and adjust W/B Gain.

Next you should change the input to the "101 RE all white signal" for W/B Bias adjustments. Does that still mean a 100 IRE signal or is it a 10 IRE signal?

Then it says to change to the "101RE all white signal" for repetition of the W/B Gain adjustments.

The SM says the W/B Gain and Bias adjustments should be repeated two or three times to adjust the tracking. In other words, should both high IRE and low IRE patterns be used or should only a 100 IRE all white signal be used?

If not Bruce is mad at me rambling about overlay gamma he might be kind to chime in, his knowledge of the G70 would be invaluable. ;)

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overclkr
John,

Yes that would be the settings after a factory reset. Also, the contrast and brightness should be set to 50 and 80 so your right on the button as far as I know. Bruce?????

Cliff
He has it right, except that even after a reset, the factory presets for 6500K must be entered in manually: GAIN: R185 G203 B255 - BIAS: R74 G77 B46. The Contrast and Brightness will be at the proper default of 80 and 50 after the reset.

The service manual has a misprint, it's NOT 101 IRE, it's 10 IRE, however, unless you're using a Sony/Minolta color analyzer that is placed on the lens face, you won't be able to use 10 IRE. Use 30 IRE instead. You MUST go back and forth to get proper tracking since each adjustment interacts with the other. As you go back and forth and make small corrections, you will get closer and closer until the x,y matches at the high and low IRE levels.

P.S. - Why would you think I'm mad at you?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
techman,

Thanks for the great information. I've just setup focus and geometry. I began with setting focus and registers for the internal signal P2 followed by P0-P7.

I know many people say it's just unnecessary work to setup all internal signals but I believe it was you who pointed me in the right direction, so thanks again. I will be using a resolution of 1440 x 1152i @ 75 Hz for DVD playback (as I live in PAL land) and I must say it is a breeze adding new resolutions when the initial 8 is already setup. :)

I did a factory reset just after I had replaced the tube but to be able to use the set I had to use the more inaccurate procedure to set black level and G2's by eye as the ABG mode gives me a flickering image and a bowed line well down into the actual image. I also don't feel fully confident with the memory architecture of the G70 so I'm a little reluctant about doing any resets that risks the work with focus and registry settings. Setting up 9 input memories is quite some work and pretty time consuming. Nothing I want to repeat in the nearest future.

So my hope was to be able to go back to the Gain and Bias values in the service manual for setting up color temperature. Fortunately that seems to be the right way to do it.

John

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Me?? or John??

No, I was answering John statment in the same post as your thread. I guess I confused you. :D

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707
No, I was answering John statment in the same post as your thread. I guess I confused you. :D
No prob Bruce. I was just thinking that I could never make you mad at me! ;)

Cliff

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
No prob Bruce. I was just thinking that I could never make you mad at me! ;)

Cliff
:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.