Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using an RP82 with an NEC HT1000 and a 100" 4:3 screen,

I'm assuming I should set the RP82 aspect setting to 4:3 but I read somewhere that the DVD player should always be set to 16:9 for best resolution.

Can anyone pls confirm the what the correct settings should be?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
I made this mistake once. Let's see if I can explain it. You don't want the dvd player trying to compensate for the shortcomings of a 4:3 tv, and sending a letterboxed down version of widescreen material to a pj that has the ability to show 16:9 images. If the pj can accept a 16:9 signal, and take full advantage of the anamorphic stretch, then you want the pj doing that job. Otherwise you are dumbing down the signal to the pj, and it has less info to work with. So tell your DVD player that you have a display that can properly process and display 16:9 material, and it will send on the whole enchilada and you will skip some unnecessary and limiting processing.

Did I get it right?

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
That means tell the pj that you have a 16:9 display, because your 4:3 pj has that capability and does the same things that a 16:9 widescreen tv does.

Acid test. There's a scene in Gladiator where there is a big sculpted eagle on a building and a vertical pan. If you set the DVD to 4:3 the eagle jumps like it has the hot foot. If you set it to 16:9 it is smooth as silk. Everything will look much better with many fewer motion artifacts.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
JHouse what if you are using the HT 1000 with an anamorphic lens do you send a 4:3 signal from DVD or 16:9? I currently have the PJ set to 4:3 (of course) and the DVD set to 16:9. Is this correct? It seems to produce a great picture! I will have to try the Gladiator scene though.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You always set the DVD player to 16:9 and let the projector (or outboard processor) perform any scaling necessary. Setting the DVD player to 4:3 tosses out resolution.

Same deal when using an anamorphic lens. Grab an anamorphic DVD with a 1.78:1 aspect ratio (16:9) and toss it in. If you see empty space ("black bars") on the top and bottom, it's not set up properly. Set the DVD player to 16:9 and adjust the aspect ratio settings of the projector until the image fills the screen.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Yes, setting the DVD player to 16:9 sends the most information to the display. That's what you want. Then have the display show it in the proper aspect. You seem to have it right. If you want to check, just set it back the other way, the difference is obvious once you are looking for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.