AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I installed an antenna system in Round Lake beach Illinois. It required a Large Winegard U/V antenna and a Winegard pre- amp. I connected my Samsung STB and it did program itself. Channel 3 or digital WBBM would not lock in. In fact the signal would dissappear then bounce to the center of the signal scale. I did view the digital UHF channels for about three minutes then the screen went black. No audio and no video display and the STB menu controls would not function. The green signal light would remain solid and green. I unplgged the STB for one hour and it came on again and locked up again. I unplugged the box reaimed the antenna at Milwaukee stations . Pluged the STB and it loaded itself and then it shut down again. My questions are could the pre-amp be to much for the STB to handle? And I did notice about 1500 feet away was a power sub station . This has been a problem for analog channel 2 AND CHANNEL 5. Also the sub station interference would creep into the high band VHF channels as well . When I got my STB back to Ft. Wayne it has been working well all week like nothing ever happened. This is very perplexing to me and I would need some advice for other members. Thanks John L.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is everything and no on screen prompts. The picture is black. Again I have it home and on now and it is working fine. Do you think my STB hates Chicago?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Strangely enough my Samsung STB locked up both yesterday and today...on 32-1.

Turning it off and on again was useless...even unplugging it didn't work.

Finally after playing with the buttons on the remote for a minute or two (like a child...hitting them all;) ) I was able to get it to switch channels and see the Derby in HD (lame job NBC).

Don't know what caused that to happen, but it's also happened once before...weird.

Tom

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I had a similar experience when our local stations were first starting out in Seattle. My SIR-T150 would act strange one day with certain channels and then be OK the next day. Eventually they straightened out their signals and all is fine. I have heard people talk about multi-path interference causing very strange things in some receivers. It gets confused about decoding the signals somehow and just locks up. Mine only locked up a few times. Cycling power and avoiding the "problem" channel solved the problem. I manually set the channels rather than using the scan function.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.