AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Time Warner affiliate is just about to add HDTV and will be using the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 HD set top boxes. From what I can tell, the boxes only have a component output and my projector currently only has RGBHV input. My choices seem to be to go with a component to RGBHV transcoder or to buy a new input card for my projector (IFB-1400, I think).

I ran some searches on this site, and it appears that the component to RGBHV converters don't do a very good job. Is that the case? I don't want to significantly degrade my HDTV signal, or what would be the point of having it?

I could go with the new card, but first, it is a good bit more money, and I was under the impression that it had to see a progressive input, which would seem to create problems for 1080i inputs, among other things. The other issue, is that for switching purposes, it would be a lot easier to keep routing everything to the RGBHV connection on the projector, and I seem to remember that you can't save multiple aspect ratios for both the RGBHV input and the component input, so one or the other is stuck with one input (if it is automatically the RGBHV input that gets limited, that would be another serious problem).

Having said all that, there must have been others who have gone through this. What have you done? Any recommendations? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hi BL. From everything I read, the Key Digital Systems KD-CTCA2 transcoder is the cheapest method for resolving 1080i and 720p HD transmissions. The Audio Authority 09A62 (very popular) will only resolve to 480p (I believe).

John

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, John. I am curious to know whether people are happy with the quality of the signal to the FP run through the Key Digital unit.

Do you have one?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I also have your projector and am just about to purchase an hdtv satellite system. I bought a sony PC1271 switchbox off of ebay as well and it had several IFB cards in it, one being an ifb 1000 and another being an ifb 20. the switch box outputs in rgbvh to the input of the projector, would any of these other IFB boards work? I have an htpc, is there a solution that will work there?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.