AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldberg /forum/post/0

http://www.learningcenter.sony.us/as...ome_xl3_series

This baby boasts a high-def tuner, a half terabyte hard disk, and a Blu-Ray disk burner. The MSRP is $3,300.

I can't wait.

Jeff

I can. If they eliminated the HD burner, provided SD burning from HD content on the HDD and dropped the price by about $2700 I might be interested. Better yet, provide for the capability to burn to flash media or transcode content directly to portable media players and that would be cool. I'm not gambling kilobucks on any optical disc format (e.g., Blu Ray) who's future is so uncertain. I'd rather pay the bucks to archive the HD content to an array of HDD's rather spend the kilobucks to archive to outrageously expensive optical media IMO.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Just how much unprotected high def content do we all think will be available to record with this? In the purely digital world, I fear that everything will be protected. Maybe that's just my natural pessimism coming out.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Hence my desire to "down rez". I would prefer the ability to archive SD content from HD source material (to optical discs or other removable media) if Hollywood would allow that vs. completely locking out archiving ability altogether because Hollywood doesn't want to allow bit-for-bit HD copies.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/0

Just how much unprotected high def content do we all think will be available to record with this? In the purely digital world, I fear that everything will be protected. Maybe that's just my natural pessimism coming out.

Right now virtually everything can be recorded by firewire to an appropriate device(e.g. DVHS) with the right DVR (Moto 6412).

But I agree that I can't believe we will get an optical version of DVHS that would allow unrestricted recording of HD.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For me, I'm looking at HDV as an aquisition medium for event videography. I would like to begin video taping weddings and such with a new HDV camcorder and deliver the finished product as a Hi-Def DVD.

I'm looking to mimic my present workflow which is using a DV camcorder, lossless editing onto a full size DVCam deck, and DVD creation with my old Panny HS2 via ILink.

I know it won't be long now for Hi-Def DVD to have the same market penetration that SD DVDs have today.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Goldberg /forum/post/0

I know it won't be long now for Hi-Def DVD to have the same market penetration that SD DVDs have today.

I hope your definition of "won't be long now" is at least a 3-5 year time frame, because I'm convinced it will take at least that long. HD won't become mainstream until player prices are within perhaps 20-30% of SD players, and with the added complication of the multiple formats and the need to build multi-format players it's going to take quite a while before that occurs. And this is all assuming that online distribution and media servers don't eclipse optical media altogether before then...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.