AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I've been searching to find an answer on Google Search. Nothing come up that I could find... found this forum in Google Search because of the words I'm looking for.

I have Yamaha AV Receiver HTR-5940. It's connected to TV and Blue-Ray just fine.

My desktop speaker has worn out so I looked for a better deal until I realized that I could connect my receiver and desktop computer. How exciting for me! I found a tutorial (YouTube). So, I bought a right cable 3.5 mm to RCA.

I connected my desktop computer (out "green") to my receiver (multi-channel). There's no sound coming out through my headphones (which I use headphones all the times). I tried different ways but no luck.

I am wondering does anyone have knowledge about how to connect the desktop computer and Yamaha HTR-5940 receiver that will work through headphones?

Let me know, please. Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are your headphones connected to your computer or the receiver? If it's the computer (USB?) and you run Windows OS, you can only use one audio output device at a time, and if your default is the audio output jack connected to your receiver, that's why the headphones aren't working... you need to switch the audio output to the device you want to use at the time. The alternative is software that will allow you do use more than one device (Google virtual audio cable).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are your headphones connected to your computer or the receiver? If it's the computer (USB?) and you run Windows OS, you can only use one audio output device at a time, and if your default is the audio output jack connected to your receiver, that's why the headphones aren't working... you need to switch the audio output to the device you want to use at the time. The alternative is software that will allow you do use more than one device (Google virtual audio cable).
My headphones will connect to the receiver. I just found out that I've set wrong configuration on my sound card (Realtek audio) to "digital" instead of "speakers/headphones" which I've finally got it working this morning. As Yamaha tech support suggested I should plug RCA cable into "CD" on the back of the receiver which is why it's working awesome!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts