AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a simple question for all. Well eimple for you tuff for me.Can some one one give give simple directions to get the below componets hooked up. I searched the net but all it did was leave me confused

I won't go into whats on the back of each componet. They are all newer so Im sure everyone knows:D

Magnavox stereo tv

Digtal cable box

JVC COMBO Hi Fi stereo DVD VHS unit

Sony surround am fm reciever

Thank you in advance

Debra

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
You think you are confused now?

Hook your coaxial cable tv feed into the cable box. Take another coaxial cable from the cable box out to tv to the vcr antenna in. Take a third coaxial cable from the vcr antenna out and hook it up to the TV antenna input.

Find an Audio/Video cable ( the one with the red, white, and yellow ends on it ). Connect it from the JVC to the Sony receiver, say on the VCR1 input.

Find the monitor out jack on the receiver and run a cable from there to the video input on the TV

If you have gotten this far successfully then try for extra credit. Try to hook up the audio/video outputs on your digital cable box to the sony receiver, say on the SAT/TV input. You will run the 3 connectors ( red, white and yellow ) to the corresponding colors on the receiver. For extra, extra credit, try to take a single RCA cable and connect the digital output of the cable box to the digital input on the receiver.

If you connect this all correctly you are now a level 1 technician who can apply for work at any Cable company.

Alan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My my what a sence a humor you have :D You defiently had me giggling but now we will see if Im still giggling when I attempt this. Also it sounds like if In gonna earn that extra credit I may need to go to RS to shop for cable.

Will post back to let you know if I earned that extra extra or if my ability to learn went out the window...

D;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I was good till here. I dont have SAT/TV . so I put that connection on VIDEO 2 LD. The unit seems to be working vhs and DVD. Its coming thru the stereo fine. But there is a problem. I can not change TV channels thur the VCR. I get a blue screen. I get TV sound when I put the stereo on Video 2 but no picture .

On my reciever I don't seem to have a place to plug a RCA cable in . SO I guess my reciever is older then I want to admit.

I have Reciever-Monitor video out, video 1 in ,video out, video 2 LD

tape/DAT, CD, Phono

TV =monitor,video in audio L-R

So I guess I failed so far but Im not giving up. I should be able to watch tv either way thru the vcr or just thru TV...

Debra

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
It would be easier if you had instant messenger.

1. It does not matter what input you use on the receiver. I guessed you had a TV/SAT input as it is common to SONY receivers but video 2 will do just fine.

2. When you talk about the RCA cable I trust you are speaking of the digital output from the cable box. This is not absolutely necessary but you would get better surround sound were it there.

3. We want to ignore all video 1 outputs and video 2 outputs. We only care about the MONITOR VIDEO OUTPUT. This is what should be connected from the receiver to the TV on some video input ( Say video 1, only the yellow or video connector )

4. Turn the VCR off and switch the input on the TV from the video input to the antenna input. If you connected the coaxial cable correctly ( cable out to vcr in, vcr out to tv ) you should see a picture. But remember you have a cable box. Make certain that both your VCR and TV are set to channel 3.

When we trouble shoot we do not make jokes!!!

Alan

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Actually the more I think about it check the channel your vcr is on. Also, as you have a VCR/DVD make sure it is set to VCR and not DVD. The blue screen indicates that your Monitor out is connected correctly to the TV video input on the TV.

We are almost there!!!!!

Alan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its time for me to go to work so I can't do anything tonight. I didnt recieve email of your post darn...

I have IM yahoo its the same as my email.

Today is friday I did a second 16 hour shift will deal with it tomorrow saturday.

Will work on it tomorrow........

D:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.