AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me advice on how to set up a non-modified G11 and C11 for a 16:9 screen? Right now my Dish Sat. is going into my G11 through the by-pass mode into Computer 2. It displays non-HD material in 4:3. I want to display this in 16:9...Can this be done and how? How can I then correctly display HD material from the Dish? The black lines on the side of the screen with 4:3 drive me nuts. Any and all set-up suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

------------------

Stephen Sands

[email protected]

JVC-G11

Pioneer Elite FV-07 DVD

Adcom GTP-760 Processor

Crestron Controller

Pioneer Elite PD-F17 CD

Adcom GFA-7500 Amp

Dish Sat.

JVC HR-S4800U VCR

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can any point me to a post on how to set-up a non-modified G11 with a 16:9 screen?

------------------

Stephen Sands

[email protected]

JVC-G11

Pioneer Elite FV-07 DVD

Adcom GTP-760 Processor

Crestron Controller

Pioneer Elite PD-F17 CD

Adcom GFA-7500 Amp

Dish Sat.

JVC HR-S4800U VCR

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Stephen,

I don't mean to second-guess you, but are you sure that the bars are not in the source material? When I am watching HDTV, some of the material (and almost all of the commercials) are in 4:3 SDTV, which displays the black bars automatically.

When you say, "It displays non-HD material in 4:3", it makes me think that 4:3 is probably the correct aspect ratio for the material.

I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Stephen,

Although I do not own a 6000, most STBs allow you to select monitor type from the menu. If you select 16:9 as the monitor type, they will typically give you a number of different ways to display traditional 4:3 non-hd material. 2 basic choices include window boxed (your present configuration) or to fill the full screen width with geometric distortion.

Mark quite correctly points out that 4:3 upconverted HD material will reside in the middle of a 16:9 screen if the source broadcast material is digital (HD at any ATSC resolution), but was filmed/recorded with a 4:3 AR. Many STBs allow you to select the color of the blanking bars on either side of the 4:3 image.

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I thought there was a way to resize the 4:3 material to fill the 16:9 screen using the G11(what can I say I'm a newbie). Prior to the CI being in the loop, I was using different inputs (I believe it was the component input) and had the screen filled. My installer now says that with the higher quality input and the CI, I can only get the 16:9 screen filled via the Tivo. I guess this is because the Dish bypasses the CI but uses the computer input. Do you guys use curtains to frame the screen? I find the smaller picture a bit distracting.

------------------

Stephen Sands

[email protected]

JVC-G11

Pioneer Elite FV-07 DVD

Adcom GTP-760 Processor

Crestron Controller

Pioneer Elite PD-F17 CD

Adcom GFA-7500 Amp

Dish Sat.

JVC HR-S4800U VCR

1 - 5 of 5 Posts