AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a total NOOB question. I just recently set up my newly purchsed surround system. I have my TV, HD DVR and PS 3 connected to the receiver via HDMI. My receiver needs to be on to either watch TV or play my PS 3. Is that how it is supposed to be? Am I just weird that there are instances where I would rather just listen through the TV speakers?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Some receivers allow audio pass through without use of the main speakers, while others need separate audio cables from the PS3, etc., to the TV to do what you want.

Hard to say which is the case without knowing the model number of the receiver/surround system.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
I didn't see the feature listed on the Yamaha website, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I can't access the manual without signing in, but there may be a mention of it there. It may be a setting that needs to be enabled.

Otherwise, separate audio cables will be needed.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Different manufacturers call it different things.

This may help:

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/audio-visual/accessories/swk-w10_black__u/4741/2488/Can_I_pass_HDMI_audio_signals_through_a_Yamaha_receiver_to_my_TV_speakers
Quote:
All Yamaha HDMI compatible AV receivers can pass through HDMI audio signals. The factory default option allows the receiver to send audio signals coming through the HDMI inputs to the speaker terminals of the receiver. (With the exception of the HTR-6050, HTR-6130,HTR-6230, RX-V363 and the RX-V365 which only support HDMI audio video pass through.) The HDMI inputs only pass the video signal to the TV monitor. The Other option can be selected in HDMI SET in the receivers Manual Setup Menu. This will enable the receiver to pass the audio signal straight through to the TV. Please refer to the owners manual for specific details regarding the HDMI settings.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
"Am I just weird that there are instances where I would rather just listen through the TV speakers?"

Yes.
Why have the system if you're not going to use it?

Anyway, the feature you're looking for is HDMI passthrough, and from the reply above mine, it appears to be possible with your AVR.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I jus don't need the bass when I watching the news or the wife is watching Cake Boss. I guess another question would be: Can I make it to where the subwoofer is off when watching TV programming of that sort?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Well, if your sub has an off switch, you could just turn it off there. If not, it should at least have a volume knob. Another way is to disable it on the receiver.

There's no way to conveniently do it on the fly, though, so you'll have to reverse what you did every time you do want it on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts