AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi newbie here. i've got a general question that i would like some help. i currently subscribe to a cable co. and i also have an isp provider. can i buy a cable modem and use my current isp provider or do i have to use the cable co.'s isp and pay there their outrageous monthly service fee?

i appreciate all respones.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You have to pay the cable company, they own the cable and they are the ISP.

·
Banned
1,033 Posts
If you have a cable modem through your cable company you don't really need Netscape's ISP services. You can just use their browser if you prefer it. You really don't need to be paying for both, but the cable company is the one you want to keep paying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand what you are saying. Let me rephrase my question. I do not want to the cable co. to be my isp provider. I want Netscape. Will a modem I buy over the internet work with my exsisting cable hooked up to my TV?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
No !

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea30
I understand what you are saying. Let me rephrase my question. I do not want to the cable co. to be my isp provider. I want Netscape. Will a modem I buy over the internet work with my exsisting cable hooked up to my TV?
No, a cable modem you buy from E-bay or anywhere else will not work unless you sign up with (and pay) the cable company for internet service.

Cable internet service is different than dial-up. You to not connect and "log in" each time you want to use the internet. The cable modem acts more like a device on a Local Area Network (LAN) that is connected to the internet. So cable modem must be registered with the cable company to operate on the cable network or you will not receive an IP address or the proper settings to connect to the internet.

I am pretty sure you can still use your Netscape account with a cable modem, but you will also have to pay the cable company for their ISP services too. You can also use Netscape (web browser) on Comcast cable internet service if thats what you are worried about.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.