Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..

I am trying to get the best out of my system I have the following setup:

ATi x1600

LG Plasma 720p/1080i

Powerdvd 7.3

Floppy DTV DVB-C (TDC, Cable provider Denmark, broadcasting in mpeg2)

DVI to HDMI cable.

VISTA

Since I do alot of dvd/hdtv/dvb-c watching I am struggeling to find the best setup.

Am desperately trying to figure out when I need to deinterlace and interlace....

If I set my htpc to output 720p60 I need to deinterlace, interlaced material right ?

What material is interlaced, dvd ?, dvb-c ?

I understand that deinterlacing is done by the graphics adapter, I can set my ATi to auto with pulldown detection.

If i set my htpc to output 1080i60 I do not need to deinterlace, right ?

What happens to progressive material ?

What material is progressive, dvd ?, dvb-c ?

If I set my Ati card to Weave, no deinterlacing is done, right ?

Should it be set to weave, when my display is set to 1080i and what happens to progressive signals ?

Either way I set my display, the HDTV channels look superb, most of the time.

I generally tend to find that it looks the best if I set my Ati to 1080i.

Can somebody help me clarify this.

Maybe I just want the system to do too many things right, where can I expect the smallest sacrifice ?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Don't waste your time with interlaced resolutions. PC and interlaced just don't go together. Search here how to set up your video card resolution to the native progressive resolution of your plasma (it may or may not involve tools like Powerstrip) to get 1:1 pixel mapping. Let the video software or the video card do the deinterlacing of interlaced material.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK ..

So in general you would always do progressive when you run a htpc ?

What if I have an interlaced playback wouldn´t it look better if the screen is running 1080i ?

·
Registered
676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8redv2 /forum/post/0

What if I have an interlaced playback wouldn´t it look better if the screen is running 1080i ?

No. Chances are the player software will deinterlace it and the video card will interlace it again, thus reducing the effective resolution. Or even worse, player will not deinterlace, and the video card will re-interlace on top of that

Unless in the last 2-3 years since I stopped playing with interlaced resolutions things in video processing on PC have changed radically, which I heavily doubt.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Your plasma is progressive, someone is going to deinterlace, either the graphics card or your plasma.

Usually the graphics card will do it better so you are better off setting your PC to progressive.

For progressive material you want your PC set to progressive, otherwise your graphics card will interlace and plasma deinterlace, causing a loss in quality.

Either way you're better off setting to progressive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.