AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just two quick questions. I have just started replacing all my old sets in the bedrooms with LCD displays. Just picked up a 42in toshiba for our bedroom and did a calibration with ColorHCFR and a DTP 94. It calibrated really good with only minor adjustments. My question is how do you calibrate the backlight setting? It also has a dynalight setting on/off so should it be on or off?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Unless the TVs are in reference environments ... (slim to none) set it to give you a light level that you do not find fatiguing to look at. (This is a moving target.)

As per the norm ... backlights have their own sets of compromises. Higher the level, the worse the black levels get. The lower the level, the better the blacks.

regards

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I am assuming you set it where you like it for the room then do the calibration? It will probably have an affect on gray scale correct?

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholicJeffL /forum/post/18189937

So I am assuming you set it where you like it for the room then do the calibration? It will probably have an affect on gray scale correct?

It will, but it won't be a horrible change.

I'd set it for the lighting coniditions you'll have when you do most of your critical viewing, and then remember that setting.

Then on sundays when you're watching the afternoon NFL game and light is pouring in you can crank your backlight to get a better picture since with all the ambient light it's not THAT accurate anyway.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks guys. How about the dynalight control? Any thoughts on that? Toshiba says it automatically sets the backlight based on the histogram of each frame and gives you a better contrast ratio. Should I turn it on and do the calibration or just leave it off? It must override the backlight setting one would assume, but I don't know much about it.

update: just found the answer here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=978891 Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again. I just turned off the dynalight, set backlight to 50% and got a beautiful calibration. smooth gamma, flat color tracking and temp. Color space is off a tad but no color decoder settings in the user menu to fix it. Don't even know if there are any in the service menu. The calibration is just about as good as it gets except for that though. Really happy with the set.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
if it's a toshiba it should have a colormaster menu.

the few toshiba sets I've played with the hue and saturation work, but brightness causes massive posterization.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18191541

if it's a toshiba it should have a colormaster menu.

the few toshiba sets I've played with the hue and saturation work, but brightness causes massive posterization.

Do you know how to get into the colormaster menu?

I just returned a sanyo 37in that my parents bought. They bought it without me along and it major posterization, and the gamma was like 1.3 with no gamma adjustment. It looked really bad.

·
Registered
661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholicJeffL /forum/post/18189870

Hey guys just two quick questions. I have just started replacing all my old sets in the bedrooms with LCD displays. Just picked up a 42in toshiba for our bedroom and did a calibration with ColorHCFR and a DTP 94. It calibrated really good with only minor adjustments. My question is how do you calibrate the backlight setting? It also has a dynalight setting on/off so should it be on or off?

Assuming that you've set brightness and contrast optimally then you should try and set the backlight as low as you can but still maintain reasonable light output for your viewing conditions. As Michael pointed out, the higher the backlight is set, the brighter the display's "black" will be.

hope this helps,

--tom

·
Registered
277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholicJeffL /forum/post/18190063

Ok thanks guys. How about the dynalight control? Any thoughts on that? Toshiba says it automatically sets the backlight based on the histogram of each frame and gives you a better contrast ratio. Should I turn it on and do the calibration or just leave it off? It must override the backlight setting one would assume, but I don't know much about it.

update: just found the answer here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=978891 Thanks for the help guys.

I have the 52xv645U. What the "dynalight" does is that it turns down the backlight in darker scenes. It's like a dynamic backlight option. This gives an appearance of better black levels, at the expense of making the whole image darker than intended.

Play a movie credits, that has white letters on black background. Then switch this option off/on. You will see the difference. This option doesn't seem to make much difference, unless a large percentage of the movie scene is dark(like at movie end credits).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts