AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I have a better understanding of this, I was hoping that someone could explain this plasma behavior

When you use a pluge pattern, and set brightness, the location where reference black is (video level 16) has green spots/flecks/dancing pixels just before the point the brightness is correct. When it is set correctly, the location of reference black it will turn (
) nicely black.

Only...I get very very faint RED flecks in return.

They were of course already present (among the green one's), but were seemingly outnumbered by the green one's. Now, the green/red flecks moved to video level 15 when my brightness is correct. When I turn down brightness 1 more notch (and thus crushing blacks) the green/red flecks move to level 14, and level 15 gets the faint red flecks only. Level 16 is then now completely black (no more flecks can be observed).

So, is there something I'm missing or are these red flecks a plasma trademark?

I own a Panasonic PF11EK commercial display in case this is a Panny specific feature

Cheers,

Jeroen

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Your seeing the very beginning of the black level come out, and Red is the pixel that fires first, thats all. On the next number up the scale, the brightness is high enough to fire green as well. All normal.

If you see little red dots in 16, your brightness is STILL too HIGH. Lower it more, if 17 disappears too, so be it, its better then not having true blacks. There is nothing to see at that low range anyway, except the dots you see. You lose nothing if 17 is also black.

Ensure video black does not dither, whether its red, green or blue.

Additional explanation:

Dithering can be made up of Red, Green, or Blue dancing dots. It just depends on which one fires on first....

A lot of times it is usually green people see, but if you were to have a set calibrated and the green cut/bias was lowered, then red may fire first, or blue.

Either way...you are seeing something normal...your playing at such a low end of brightness...its just going to be a tiny amount of dots.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you redwolf4k. I seem to have made a big mistake in my explanation of the issue:

When I turn the brightness further down (minus) the red/green flecks move up in video levels:

- Brightness -12 will show red flecks in video level 16. Brightness -13 will then show them in level 17. At -13 level 16 is then completely black.

I wonder what I was on when I typed the first post lol. Sorry for any confusion!

Seeing as playing with brightness just moved the problem around, I started investigating other controls. The W/B Low R control was key. It set it at -2 and now the flecks are gone. The W/B High R control also worked, but it need more downwards adjusting than its low counterpart. I think asking what this does is more suited for the calibration section of the forums. But I hope this is useful for someone

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.