AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am confused about setting the contrast in the Spears And Munsil blu-ray. It said, in the contrast pattern, that you have to raise the contrast until the highest bar disappears, then turn it down one notch until it is barely visible. But the problem I am having is that the highest bar never disappears if I leave the contrast at maximum or minimum. How do you properly adjust the contrast on this blu-ray? Is there a better way to adjust contrast?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

It simply means your TV does not let you set contrast high enough to ruin the image. that is a good thing ... not a bad thing.

regards

·
Premium Member
6,406 Posts
How do things look with the clipping patterns? Visibility of the contrast patterns doesn't change a whole lot on my SXRD but when I look at the clipping pattern Red is clipped. Lowering contrast helps quite a bit with Red clipping. YMMV....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using a Samsung 40" LCD and 55" LED. The default contrast is 95 and only goes up to 100. So when I max out the contrast the 253 doesn't clip with the background 254. I just finished setting it based on no eye fatigue, smooth gradient on the ramp, barely visible 253 (when I run the contrast from 85 - 100, it is almost barely visible anyways, so it is kind of confusing to adjust the contrast) from the contrast pattern. I'm not sure if my level of contrast is perfect but it is easy on the eyes, distinguishable color, and is not too bright or dark.

On the clipping pattern it is easy to make out the squares on my led but the lcd has some clipping but not too bad. You could only see the squares if you look comfortably enough. I found contrast harder to adjust than the rest of the settings.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Rule of thumb on contrast. Err to the low end. Rather be a little low than too high. The eye really can't tell the difference on the bright end.

The back light on the LCDs will be your tool for eye fatigue control first. Only if you get to min backlight and the image is still too bright do you reduce contrast then.

regards

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

On an LCD and many plasma sets, it is irrelevant where the control actually ends up on the scale. These are not CRT tvs anymore.

User contrast is only a subset of the master contrast in the TV that can go really high. Imagine if the master control had a range of 0 to 300 ... the user control is a scale of 100 positioned somewhere below the point where clipping can actually begin on most major brands these days.

If the actual clip point were 180 on this scale to 300 ... the 100 point could be 180 ... or 170 ... or 160.

It does not matter that the contrast control on the user side is set to 100. If the rules for setting contrast are met, there are no other considerations.

regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.