AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the new owner of an lg32lc7d, and im in love with it. but i have one problem. but i cant seem to get the contrast right.

my ps3 is passing blacker than black and whiter than white.

pluge patterns work perfectly in dve, but no matter what i do, i cant get the avia needle pulses+steps pattern (the one with the 2 moving white stripes) or SMPTE box pattern to clip video white. even if i put the contrast at 100, where the whites are overdone and hard to watch, the little gray boxes or moving white bars never dissapear.

so how do i know what the correct setting for contrast on my tv is. im sure its not 100, so how do i do it?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

First thing ... needle pulse patterns are not for digital sets. Only for CRT sets. They help you determine where not to set contrast ... not where to set it.

Three Rules of setting contrast on Digital displays:

1. No White clipping/crushing

2. No discolortation of the white or near white area (turning pink for instance)

3. No eye fatigue.

You appear to have achieved part one ... now meet the next two criteria and you will have set the contrast more correctly for your use.

Regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know that needle pulses are for crts.

im talking about the two white moving bars avia added to their needle pulses + steps pattern. those never dissapear, even when the contrast is at 100, nor does the color of white ever change.

so do i set it based on eye fatigue alone?

or is there a more objective way?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
greetings

If you've met the first two criteria ... then there is only one left.

The best set that meets the first two criteria but gives you a headache to watch it ... is not the best set at all.

That's it. Unless you want to meet smpte recommendations and shoot for a 30 ft-L light output based on a 100% windowbox pattern. need a light meter for this and assumes you are watching TV in a controlled lighting environment like TV studios have.

That's it... there is no more.

regards

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I would probably use the DVE ramps for this, since they are full range. The Avia patterns only go to 235, and the white bars are below that, so to clip the white bars you need to be clipping well below 235, which is far too high a white level setting. Colorshifting will occur first on the white background, not the bars which are actually below white (with Avia), some people may be confused about this. AviaII has full range white bar patterns with a third bar above white and deep ramps that are far more helpful and I much prefer them, including over DVE ramps. If it turns out that 1 and 2 as Micahel listed are really high at or near 100, you can always lower below that to preference if you wish.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I tried setting the contrast on my panasonic AX-200 last night using DVE and could not figure it out. There was no blooming as described on the disc. I understand now that this is for CRT only. So specifically how do I use DVE to set contrast on my projector?

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The PS3 does not pass color correctly. So you may have trouble calibrating for it. If you want to set the Brightness and Contrast to not crush either, Find an image that has good details in white and black, then create a negative of it.

This one is from my test slates, but gives you a good idea of what the image should look like.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts