AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many of you out there prefer to set the output resolution of an HD STB to just one type (720p or 1080i), in order to let the box do the up/down conversion for the purpose of getting rid of the delay that happens when the TV changes resolutions during channel changes. I read another thread where it was mentioned that it was better to let the cable box do the conversions so your display doesn't have to work as hard while flipping through the channels.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I keep my Directv boxes fixed at 1080i to cut down the lag between channel changes when going from channels with different resolutions. Most cable boxes don't offer that flexibility though, they can only output 1080i or 720p and possibly 480i for SD channels.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,724 Posts
Aside from the resolution change and how your HDTV handles it, the best advice is to try all possible set up options and pick the one that looks best on your system. Sometimes the HDTV does a better job of conversion, sometimes the set top box does better.

In a perfect world, your box would output all resolutions in native format and your display would present them in native resolution. Unfortunately, in today's world of fixed pixel displays and non-native capable boxes, this is not usually possible.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
You may want to output all 16:9 content at one resolution and if you have a 1080p TV you would certainly want that to be 1080i.

However, 4:3 aspect ratio content should be output at either 480p or 480i to avoid converting the content to 16:9 content by the addition of side bars.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the input, everyone...

I have a 40" Toshiba 1080p LCD set, so I guess I'll set the STB to 1080i. Another reason for me considering sticking to one resolution is that when I have the STB connected via HDMI and the TV switches between 720 and 1080, the HDMI connection is lost. When one or the other is set, I have no delay or connection loss at all. Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/15535584

I keep my Directv boxes fixed at 1080i to cut down the lag between channel changes when going from channels with different resolutions. Most cable boxes don't offer that flexibility though, they can only output 1080i or 720p and possibly 480i for SD channels.

Lucky you. When I'm changing channels on my STB, there's an annoying lag when I switch channels with different resolutions. I wish I could leave my box at a fixed resolution, but it looks worse that way. My TV does a MUCH better job at the conversion, especially on SD channels.

Quote:
I read another thread where it was mentioned that it was better to let the cable box do the conversions so your display doesn't have to work as hard while flipping through the channels.

Yeah, I said that. When the resolution is constantly changing as I flip channels, my TV constantly has to switch resolutions. I feel that my TV is working harder that way. I could be wrong, but that's the way I feel. But I decided to let my TV do the conversion because the picture, especially on SD channels, look signifiantly better.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Xrraffle,

What Make Model STB do you have. The Motorola boxes allow you set a different output resolution for 4:3 aspect ratio programs such as 480i or 480p then it uses 16:9 aspect ratio programs. And AFAIK SA STBs have the same ability and an also to output all programs at the resolution they were received in use PassThrough mode.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15543341

Xrraffle,

What Make Model STB do you have. The Motorola boxes allow you set a different output resolution for 4:3 aspect ratio programs such as 480i or 480p then it uses 16:9 aspect ratio programs. And AFAIK SA STBs have the same ability and an also to output all programs at the resolution they were received in use PassThrough mode.

Samsung SMT-H3050

Perhaps, you misread my post. The box does give you a choice to output the video at one resolution or at different resolutions depending on the channel. But the box doesn't convert very well, so SD channels look fuzzy. My TV does the conversion better. So, I have my STB set to output different resolutions since it gives better results. I really wish I didn't have to do it because like I said, the TV works harder, but the picture is much better when the TV does the upconverting.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If the box is receiving 480i or 480p SD programs and you have it set to output them at 480i then the box woul not be performing any conversions since converting 480p to 480i is a no brainer operation.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15544932

If the box is receiving 480i or 480p SD programs and you have it set to output them at 480i then the box woul not be performing any conversions since converting 480p to 480i is a no brainer operation.

Yes, that's exactly what I have the box set to. I also have the option of having the box "only" output 720p or 1080i, but when I tried to, it gave a fuzzy picture on SD channels. So, I have the box set to change resolutions depending on the channel (ie 480i on SD channels and 720p/1080i on HD channels). This produces better results which is why I set it that way.

I would've preferred to set it to only one resolution (either 720p or 1080i) to reduce lag when changing channels and prevent the TV from working harder, but like I said, SD channels were fuzzy.

·
Registered
340 Posts
How do you decided if the box or teh tv does th econversion, I can select 480i 480 p 720 p or 1080i on my cable box or pick auto an dit will switch between them as it sees fit. if I just pick one say 1080 i does the tv do teh conversion and make everything 1080 i? if I picked 720 p would it convert everything to 720 p either up or down? thanks

·
Registered
628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15544932

Minor point, but I don't believe there is any 480p programming.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
True but some older HDTVs will not accept 480i over DVI/HDMI but they will accept 480p. Why I don't know but I beleive it is because all PC monitors accept 480p over VGA.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/15543489

Samsung SMT-H3050

The box does give you a choice to output the video at one resolution or at different resolutions depending on the channel. But the box doesn't convert very well, so SD channels look fuzzy. My TV does the conversion better. So, I have my STB set to output different resolutions since it gives better results. I really wish I didn't have to do it because like I said, the TV works harder, but the picture is much better when the TV does the upconverting.

I have the exact same box, and you're correct about the box being a so-so upscaler. Do you have yours connected via HDMI? Right now I have mine connected via component b/c the box dosen't agree with resolution changes over HDMI - which is one of the reasons why I started this thread.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch77yanks /forum/post/15549771

I have the exact same box, and you're correct about the box being a so-so upscaler. Do you have yours connected via HDMI? Right now I have mine connected via component b/c the box dosen't agree with resolution changes over HDMI - which is one of the reasons why I started this thread.

When I first got the box, I connected it via HDMI, but it wouldn't output 480i when I'm watching SD channels. Either that or my TV isn't accepting it. So, 480p is lowest resolution it would output and the box does a poor job with converting 480i to 480p, so the SD channels are still fuzzy. So, I hooked it up via component and it outputs 480i successfully. My TV upscales the 480i content very well, so the picture is much better. So, with this box, component is the way to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Folks ,I just received the Samsung SMT-H3050 yesterday and I'm utilizing the HDMI port also.Do i set that box SMT to Auto ? I also notice that the TV seems to not change so seamlessly.The HD looks good but can't stand the lag..I am going to try the Component as well tonight.But anyway is the correct setting Auto for aspect ratios?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaBlood /forum/post/17446014

Hi Folks ,I just received the Samsung SMT-H3050 yesterday and I'm utilizing the HDMI port also.Do i set that box SMT to Auto ? I also notice that the TV seems to not change so seamlessly.The HD looks good but can't stand the lag..I am going to try the Component as well tonight.But anyway is the correct setting Auto for aspect ratios?

Just set the box output resolution to match the native resolution of your TV(720p for a 720p set or 1080i for a 1080p set). The lag you're experiencing is the rescaling that happens when you switch between channels with different output resolutions. If you set the box to output one resolution only, the TV no longer has to rescale the signal each time, therefore no more lag.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaBlood /forum/post/17446014

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...59&postcount=3

1 - 18 of 18 Posts