AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please direct me to the post that explains the relationship between leveling channels via your dvd player (for analog out), and setting the receiver's ext in subwoofer level? I've been searching, both within avs and external to avs for hours, and cannot find any info.

My Denon DVD-3930 and AVR-3805 manuals describe nothing, other than the 3805 manual saying the +15db setting is prefered. But it doesn't say why, and doesn't explain how the subwoofer level is to be matched with the other channels via the DVD player.

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
If I am remembering correctly, DTS and Dolby Digital boost their lfe track by +15 whereas DVD-A and SACDs do not. People using the Analog connections for these formats need to have the 15 dB boost at either the DVD player or the AVR, but not both...that is my recollection.

·
Registered
400 Posts
This deserves an answer even now since it's applicable when using a PC sound card with an AVR via multi-channel analog. When performing bass management at the source, the subwoofer channel output is reduced by 15 dB to make room for the crossed over frequencies from other channels. You must either enable Subwoofer Gain (+15 dB) on your sound card or do it in the receiver. Doing it in the receiver is preferable since it's done in the amplifier stage, whereas the sound card may over volt the subwoofer channel.

This has nothing to do with +10 dB on the LFE channel which is a compression format specific thing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.