AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean dangerous for the TV.

My issue is more of gripping the screen than the weight. I watched a video on youtube of someone flexing a Panasonic OLED screen corner a bit and it didn't break, so I assume LG TVs would also flex a bit before cracking?

I know this is a bad idea but it'll be hard for me to get someone to help right now.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
My 55" didn't seem to have any 'flex', but it wasn't a problem handling it alone. Never tried with a 65"...

I'd offer to help if you were close. I'm sure others here would, as well. Location?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 55" didn't seem to have any 'flex', but it wasn't a problem handling it alone. Never tried with a 65"...

I'd offer to help if you were close. I'm sure others here would, as well. Location?
By flexing I mean this guy purposely tried to break an OLED screen by bending the corner, and it didn't crack. It's a different brand though; I have the LGCX. By myself I'd have to pick it up by the base and the top or corner so I imagine it may bend slightly.

I'm in rural eastern MD so I doubt anyone would be close. Next week I may be able to get someone over but may try it myself. Conflicting schedules and all.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Would you be able to attach the stand to the TV with the TV lying face down, still in the styrofoam (possibly elevated by some couch pillows) and then carry it by the stand?

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have done my 65" OLED alone several times actually, it is on a stand so I lifted from the sides of the OLED after putting the OLED on it's stand, it is not really bad as I did not struggle, I have also lifted it off the stand as well, alone.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Extremely dangerous. When I set up my 55" OLED on my own, it punched me in the mouf, it slapped my kids, stole my wife, drank all my booze, and ran off to live in a polyamorous relationship with my wife and a cute QLED in the next county.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Get a pair of rubber coated gloves. They are super grippy. Same type of gloves repair people use with windshields and athletes wear. Lifting the tv becomes a lot easier when the tv basically sticks to your hands.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
PPl are losing their minds

·
Registered
123 Posts
I did my LG CX by myself, but I stressed the entire time. Up on the top step of a 3ft step stool lifting the center of the tv to about eye level with one hand on the top middle and the other hand cradling the bottom middle of the tv. I mostly used my top hand for control, had very little grip so as not to damage screen...though I was probably just being paranoid.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Would you be able to attach the stand to the TV with the TV lying face down, still in the styrofoam (possibly elevated by some couch pillows) and then carry it by the stand?
Yeah that shouldn't be a problem.

I have done my 65" OLED alone several times actually, it is on a stand so I lifted from the sides of the OLED after putting the OLED on it's stand, it is not really bad as I did not struggle, I have also lifted it off the stand as well, alone.
I have long arms and they barely reach both sides of mine. I can't imagine being able to lift almost 60 pounds like that, unless I'm not picturing how you did it right.

Guess I'll practice my approach tomorrow. I can get rubber gloves from work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I strongly advise you not to do this by yourself. I bent the corner of my CX 65" a day before Thanksgiving. I had covid and tennis elbow, however. I was bringing in from the bedroom where I assembled, and my arms gave out....severely pulled my right bicep, as well. I wouldn't do it. Get help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I strongly advise you not to do this by yourself. I bent the corner of

I have long arms and they barely reach both sides of mine. I can't imagine being able to lift almost 60 pounds like that, unless I'm not picturing how you did it right.

You are exactly right, you can't lift it easily. I'm 6 foot tall with very long arms...dropped mine on the corner...broke it...I had covid and tennis elbow, house was empty. ASK FOR HELP, PAY FOR HELP...trust me on this. Not worth it. I can show you pictures later today when I get home. Brand new CX 65" Oled, busted.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Please don't advise him/her to do this on their own. I knew doing it, despite being prepared, that it was highly risky but I was anxious to view the TV and bored to tears with covid. I regret the decision 100%. Once you pick the TV up and begin to carry it, unless you have made some kind of table support from where you are picking up to where you are putting it, you are essentially doing the same thing as trying to max out on bench press with no spotter...you enter a point of no return. You can't simply just casually drop to your knees, or alter your course, and quietly put tv down...I promise you this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had no issue wall mounting my 65" by myself. One hand center bottom, one hand center top.
I am a power lifter and can deadlift over 400 lbs, so there is that..
In short, know your own capabilities and get a friend if you have any doubt whatsoever, which it seems you do.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
I wouldn't do this, OLED's are fragile as it is. The people delivering my first Panasonic OLED had to bring it upstairs without the box, the end result was a 5 minute old OLED with a fold along the full width as they placed their hands in the wrong locations.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts