AVS Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Ok, I thought I found my problem. I had disconnected the splitter the first time it didn't work. I've reconnected it.

Connections seem to be proper. My modem will not register Online.
I think you still need an ethernet cable between your modem and router.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Just looking at your drawing again, and with your set up, I'm not even sure you need that splitter. You should be able to go Coax from the wall to the Moca Adapter. Coax out from the adapter to the Modem. Ethernet from the Modem to the Router, and then Ethernet from the Router back to the Moca Adapter. I think that should work.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have 3 Motorola MM1000s. One is connected to my router and the others are in two different room. My house is wired with RG59 and I use my old Dish Network diplexers from 2003 to split OTA/internet. I dropped Dish in 2008 and just use OTA and cable internet. I have read the diplexers are only necessary for OTA channels above 50 MHz. With OTA repack coming soon to my area I probably don't even need them but since everything is working I'll leave well enough alone.

Anyway, I get around 920 mbps to all rooms.

I've been thinking of adding a fourth MM1000 to the system in a room where I'm only getting 58% wi-fi strength (at best). Price has jumped up to $70 (was $60 when I got them earlier this year) but that's a small price to pay to not have to hack up my drywall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Cheaper MoCA adapter

Hey, I just want to see if there is any reason why I shouldn't use the following MoCA Adapters: Comtrend GCA-6000KIT (listed on Amazon but I can't post the link as this is my first forum post).

The only thing that worries me is that the listing says it might not work with an internet connection already using the coax. But this set of 2 is significantly cheaper than any other ones I can find. Just trying to make sure it isn't a waste and will work with Spectrum set up using coax for internet.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good evening everyone. I have been reading and reading about getting wired internet to my kids rooms. This house has coax throughout the house and would like to try to make it work for us. I am on spectrum and attached is a picture of my set up outside where the orange cable is what comes into the house from the box next to the street. Would I need to place a POE filter where the orange cable ends? And should i put another POE filter at my cable modem too? Also, what would cause me not to get my full speeds that I get from Spectrum? Also, there are two splitters there that are 5-1002mhz, will that be a problem? Is there a MOCA adapter that is better than others?

Thanks in advance!

Ronnie

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
Good evening everyone. I have been reading and reading about getting wired internet to my kids rooms. This house has coax throughout the house and would like to try to make it work for us. I am on spectrum and attached is a picture of my set up outside where the orange cable is what comes into the house from the box next to the street. Would I need to place a POE filter where the orange cable ends? And should i put another POE filter at my cable modem too? Also, what would cause me not to get my full speeds that I get from Spectrum? Also, there are two splitters there that are 5-1002mhz, will that be a problem? Is there a MOCA adapter that is better than others?

Thanks in advance!

Ronnie

Unscrew the orange cable and connect the filter between it and your main splitter there. No need for any other filter inside. It stops your network from leaving your house at that point of installation. I can’t verify the splitters being a problem all you can do is try and replace if needed.

I use the Motorola 2.0 bonded moca adapters in my house. I have modem to router then I have a gigabit link from my router to an 8 port switch in my living room for my devices in there then I am using one port on that switch for moca out because my old directv line install is there. Then I’m using a second adapter in the master bedroom wired into a mesh mode router.

My setup works very well and I get well over 900mbps. As a bonus I also have excellent WiFi coverage in my house and outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Morning Everyone,

I had Spectrum 1gb internet installed this week and have a few questions. I read all of the above and wanted everyone’s opinion on the best setup form my house. We do not have cable tv we are only doing streaming through Apple TV.

House: 2 stories approx 2700sf (built 2004 no smart panel)
4 rooms with Apple TV/smart Tv can have Ethernet in.
2 offices with a total of 4 laptops
Have the original Eero mesh system and getting the new Eero 6 next month.
Coax cable in each room.

what I would like to do is where possible hardwire the Apple TV’s, Laptops, and Eeros to get the best speed possible. Then our iPads and Alexa products (about 30) run on Wi-Fi.

if I purchased the New MoCA 2.5 adapters would I just need one to the modem and router and then another one at each room where the coax is to connected? I’m thinking I would not need any splitters or POE adapter since I’m only running internet at the house.

suggestion/feedback would be great.

thanks
Keith

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Morning Everyone,

I had Spectrum 1gb internet installed this week and have a few questions. I read all of the above and wanted everyone’s opinion on the best setup form my house. We do not have cable tv we are only doing streaming through Apple TV.

House: 2 stories approx 2700sf (built 2004 no smart panel)
4 rooms with Apple TV/smart Tv can have Ethernet in.
2 offices with a total of 4 laptops
Have the original Eero mesh system and getting the new Eero 6 next month.
Coax cable in each room.

what I would like to do is where possible hardwire the Apple TV’s, Laptops, and Eeros to get the best speed possible. Then our iPads and Alexa products (about 30) run on Wi-Fi.

if I purchased the New MoCA 2.5 adapters would I just need one to the modem and router and then another one at each room where the coax is to connected? I’m thinking I would not need any splitters or POE adapter since I’m only running internet at the house.

suggestion/feedback would be great.

thanks
Keith
I think I would need a total of 6 MoCA adapters. 1 to the Spectrum modem or router and then one in each of the 5 rooms.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts