AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently moved and have decided to basically start from scratch and build a completely new 2.1 system. I come from a pro audio/live sound background so there are some things which I am missing in regards to setting up a high quality 2.1 system mainly for music playback. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

here is what I am planning so far:

Source - lossless flac files on a Qnap NAS via gigabit ethernet streamed through a 2011 mac mini with 8gb ram and ssd upgrade, bluetooth and wifi removed.

DAC - calyx audio

Preamp - Not sure here, I want balanced inputs/outputs and built in crossover

Amp - 3x Emotiva UPA-1 mono block

Speakers - Still no clue here unfortunately... I have read a bunch but nothing has really hit me yet, leaning towards klipsch rf7's or a used pair of dynaudio's.

Any suggestions on speakers/preamp that would fit this setup, budget would be around 5k, I work in a consumer electronics store so things like klipsch/jbl I can get at cost which was why I was leaning in that direction.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
The Parasound 2100 is a very solid choice it's going for $699 on Audio Advisor. As far as speakers are concerned check out Music Direct. They are clearing out the Wharfedale line for the new Jade series. The Opus 2-1 in black is $1599 discounted from $3600 and the Evo 2-50 is $1125 discounted from $2500. Both excellent speakers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should have been more clear, I am looking at around 5k for the speakers, budget for the pre is whatever it needs to be to integrate with my new system. Unfortunately no balanced in/out is a dealbreaker for me on that pre...

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Parasound has the Halo P-3 which is fully balanced. At the upper end the Parasound jc-2 which is around $4500. As a Audio Research owner I'll toss in the LS-27 which has balanced inputs. As for speakers check out the Sonus Farber Luito, Thiel 2.4's, Vandy 3A's and the Aerial Model 6's all excellent music speakers. Never heard the Salk line but they seem to be rather good. I'm sure if you go on their thread you'll get some accurate insight. Have fun in your search.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
The Parasound Halo gear is a fantastic line. The last time I heard the JC-2 it was hooked up to a Halo A-21 amp and a pair of Revel Salon 2's. SQ was as good as it gets. According to one's budget from the 2100 to the top of the Parasound line you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A /forum/post/0

The Parasound Halo gear is a fantastic line. The last time I heard the JC-2 it was hooked up to a Halo A-21 amp and a pair of Revel Salon 2's. SQ was as good as it gets. According to one's budget from the 2100 to the top of the Parasound line you can't go wrong.

Agreed. The Halo line offers a lot of performance for the dollar, plus it has HT bypass and a crossover. I'd love to own the JC2!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts