AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've had my SVS PB-12 Plus for a couple months now, and I love it.

I've set it up using Avia - but still feel like I just sort of "winged" it. First of all, the only piece of setup equipment I have is the RS Digital SPL. Second of all, I don't really know how to "experiment" methodically, nor do I have an intuitive feel on changes I should make in position or setting, to optimize performance. I didn't really understand the purpose of some of the audio tests. For instance, once you set the SPL of the subwoofer alone, then it plays the sub, and the left channel, then it plays the sub and the right channel. Well, what do you do? I mean, other than phase, and volume, I don't really have anything I can change. Are those tests more for positioning the sub? What is the point of the warble tests? And the descending tone test is so fast, its almost useless.

Another question I have, is about the tuning aspect of this sub. What exactly, do the different tuning frequencies do? For instance, if I tune it to 25 Hz, or plug it and tune it to 16, how does the preformance of the sub differ?

My intuition says, if I tune it to 16, the sub will play lower, but not quite as loud with any given signal. How is accuracy or speed affected by these changes from say 25Hz to 16Hz tuning. The reason I'm asking, is because currently, my volume on the sub is set just past 1/4, and the reciever is set to -4 or -5 dB, and I currently have the tune at 20Hz - so I think I'm set well below the capabilities of the sub. I assume this is dictated by my room size and acoustics more than anything.

I'm very happy with the performance of the sub itself, however, there are times that I wish it was just a little louder. Perhaps its just my personal taste or maybe I don't have the ear for balanced sound, or just prever bass biased playback. Perhaps its because the room has a concrete floor and percieved bass from floor vibration isn't there, however, at times you CAN still feel the furniture shake.

I guess I'm not looking for louder bass, but more impactful bass, if that makes sense. I think my sub is capable of what I want, but the setup just needs some tweaking. The problem is, I don't know where to start, nor do I have anything to compare it to. Its very possible, my system sounds quite good, and I don't even know it! I just want to make sure I'm getting what I paid for out of this speaker. I don't want to be the guy that has a Ferrari, but only drives it 55 you know?

Any help, including links would be appreciated. I'm looking for info on how to experiment with placement (Should I leave it square to the corners or try rotating it? How close/far should the ports be from a wall?), phase, and so on.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.